Nvidia Says GeForce GTX 1060 Will Outperform GTX 980, Founders Edition Will Cost $299

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

From a manufacturing and marketing point of view, yes - old stock becomes a liability when cheaper, faster, newer parts are available.

From an end-user's point of view, nothing is really obsolete as long as it is capable of reliably doing everything you expect out of it with performance you are still happy with.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

If you wait , you will be paying the same and losing better cards . The best strategy is to sell old for 30% loss and buy new for every generation . you will end up paying the same and enjoying every generation.

fpsman

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Sure hope all of this is real because I was about to buy myself a boosted gtx 970 for about 50$ more than this. (litterally just about to)

Guess I'll have to wait 8 more days.

InvalidError

Titan

Whatever GPU is for whatever resolution whoever buys it wants to run it at and get results he is mostly happy with. By toning details down a bit, you can push much higher resolutions out of a much weaker GPU. In many games, I find myself disabling some of the fancier GPU-hogging effects simply because I find them too distracting, they look incorrect or have glitches that bother me.

If I had a 1060 and a 4k display, I would likely find a balance of settings in most games that I'd call good enough to play at 4k. (Just for giggles, I have run games at 5760x1080 on my 1GB HD5770 and many of them were surprisingly playable without giving up too much on details beyond what I had already cut off at 1920x1200p.)

Status
Not open for further replies.