Nvidia Sees Great Future with Windows RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Maybe when all Tablets come with 64gb+ of ram, at the moment it takes up to much space and uses to much power. I can do everything in Android and it's far less ugly to look at.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
After losing nearly $1 Billion on RT, I guess it's time to try about anything. Nvidia isn't completely wrong, but I don't know RT ever had a strong path forward.Having RT and Pro, it's like trying to split your own user base.

Anyone see the numbers on the Surface Pro? I know it supposedly has done better than the RT, but I don't really see much mention of it.

anononon

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Well if this is the case, Nvidia is seeing something that most do not...

I cant see this going well, the RT windows was a flop from the start.

halcyon

Splendid
Jack Gold, an analyst at J. Gold Associates, said he doesn't believe any tablet maker will produce a Windows RT tablet in the future. Even more, Nvidia is reportedly "blowing smoke" about the future of Windows RT and Surface RT because marketing people don't want to spook the market with negativity.

"RT is dying overnight. RT is going to die a slow death," he told Computerworld.

This, to me, is the best part of the article as it seems to be the obvious truth.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I don't get what Microsoft's plan was. If they really wanted to break into the ARM market, they should commit a large investment in those surfaces, make them cheap so that more people would take a risk on it. With more users, there will be more developers to make apps for RT. Instead, we get this half hearted attempt. I mean did they really think they'd sell the Surface RT when there are already two well established ecosystems when they don't even have the price advantage?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I wonder if Microsoft had properly marketed Windows RT that they would have done better? RT is no better or worse than Android or iPad IMHO. It lacks in the app ecosystem, but I don't think that's where it failed. MS tried very hard to skin RT and 8 PRO touch versions of their OS to look virtually identical; as such, consumers expected RT tablets to run full OS versions of software (whether improperly assuming or not). It was a bad choice IMHO. That coupled with the fact that Surface RT tablets were not priced competitively. Oh, and the dumb kickstand and magnetic keyboard was a poor design choice vs. a proper dock.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I still have hope for the Surface RT. I've been waiting for an alternative to Android. I would like something that will Sync nicely with my Windows desktop, and it doesn't have to be able to run every x86 Windows application. The main problem I have is the price, and if Microsoft can get the price down to compete with Android...I'm in. The fact that Microsoft includes a microSD slot really helps, and if it comes with a Tegra 4, I'll be first in line.

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Microsoft strategy is flawed - they should have taken a similar approach to Apple's. Build the mobile ARM based platform with Win 8 1st, and converge the Win 7 x86 platform functionality via the Cloud. It's working for Apple for OS X and iOS. This is not the 90's, when MS set the rules, those days are long gone, there is a new sheriff, or 2, in Tech Town!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
It's not a fun time for Nvidia in the mobile space. No love from Apple, or most Android OEMs, because Qualcomm and PowerVR provide superior products... so they're forced into Windows 8 RT tablet territory, where they're going to get a beatdown from Intel, who's selling superior X86 based Windows 8 tablets.

dgingeri

Distinguished
MS needs to make a version of Windows Server that supports ARM, with roles restricted to secondary AD DCs, DNS, DHCP, and routing. That would make them perfect for telephone/LAN closet authentication and network services with very low power (12-15W) consumption, right along side the local switches. Perhaps they could even get built into the switches. Admins would still administer from a central DC, but it would take the authentication load from that central server.

Many companies have moved this kind of thing to virtual machines, but that still requires big, power (>250W) hungry hosts. With smaller, low power units based on ARM, they could reduce the datacenter footprint, power consumption, and heat, spreading it out to telephone/LAN closets.

The main DC would still have to be a big x64 machine, and so would file servers, print servers, DB servers, and other services, but ARM could have a significant contribution to the datacenter.

MS needs to fire Steve he has made more dumb moves then any CEO in history. Fire his ass before he sinks MS into a hole it can't get out of!! As to the article I have one question. How do you die overnight and have a slow death at the same time?

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
RT reeks of the same neglect that killed WebOS, only it seems that Microsoft with oodles more money than HP to put a product out there managed to kill it FASTER? MS shoulda taken their 1st-gen XBOX strategy; that is to sell the SurfaceRT at cost or at a slight loss to install their userbase. the workspace could have vast potential in a business space where these days iDevices are starting to become almost a de facto standard. get hardware, SDKs and direct collaboration with major business oriented software developers and get mature, secure line of business software working on this from day1(a bit late, maybe day1 of the second-gen devices?) and pound the ground with tests and presentations to businesses. if they can see the benefit and employees become accustomed to the experience, they will want to take that experience home or tell their friends/business partners. MS has the money to install this market NOW and wait to make the money tomorrow.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

Every business venture has its risks, 900 million is chump change to Microsoft now how many companies can say that?. With Nvidia agreeing to this partnership it really shows how desperate they are to get their Tegra out there.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Not sure what you meant by half-decent, but how about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Vivotab-Office-ME400C-C2-BK-10-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B00CY9Q8AQ/ref=amtcd_B00CM1BN5G_B00CY9Q8AQ

No way we gonna get a $300 tablet running intel iCore CPU, cos even i5 costs $200 alone.
(sorry wrong post, dont know how to delete this so...)

Status
Not open for further replies.