Nvidia Shares More Information About Its Innovative 64-bit ARMv8-Based Denver Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
This will be more impressive then K1 on the cpu side, but the real magic happens with 20nm Maxwell strapped to it so you get 64bit cpu that blows away the A15 K1, and then the huge gpu boost also from the first NV chip aimed directly at mobile applications. Don't get me wrong K1 was a huge leap and vaulted them to the top of the gpu for a while (with a great a15r3 also) but a bigger hit is looming with the die shrink maxwell version. I can't wait to see what xmas gaming looks like next year on android with all the great 20nm chips coming from everyone (qcom, samsung, nvida, arm, MediaTek).

The lowest common denominator gets FAR better next year at 20nm (from the entire ARM side), and we need that to get devs to aim higher with unity5 and unreal 4 type games for mobile. I like where we're heading ;)

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Just like Tegra 3 was comparable to core 2 a few years back. I need proof.

Check anandtech's benchmarks with K1 vs. Surface Pro 1/2/3, and again vs. the Asus T100.
http://anandtech.com/show/8296/the-nvidia-shield-tablet-review/5
Hit back one page to page 4 for the cpu side. Z3740 Baytrail in that Asus Transformer T100. Smoked in GPU period, and does well against Surface1, not bad against 2/3 either.

http://anandtech.com/show/8296/the-nvidia-shield-tablet-review/4
Page4 for the cpu side. K1 beating the T100 in Sunspider, Kracken, Octane v2 handily in all. Only tie is webXPRT. Otherwise, Baytrail got their clock cleaned right? Big time. Don't forget WebXPRT is Intel's favorite benchmark...LOL. Not sure that's real world then, knowing that when in every other benchmark on cpu they got smoked. It's suspicious at best right?

fykusfire

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
God it would be awesome if AMD's Seattle was going up against Nvidia's Denver. The Super Bowl of ARM 64-bit chips.

jasonelmore,
It is a valid question as their was a version of the K1 I believe that had two Denver cores on it.

A mobile chip has both a CPU and GPU on it (plus other stuff) and it's often called an "SoC" or System on a Chip.

Again though, if a program can actually use the Denver cores as well as the other CPU components the Shield Tablet would run better. I doubt it will happen for a while due to the cost, and likely heat constraints. Mobile chips are a very, very competitive area so you need to justify the extra Denver cores.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Seeing a 7W ARM Denver SoC matching (or even beating) a 15W Haswell CPU is amazing! Now anxiously waiting to see a 70W ARM Boulder SoC matching 140W Haswell Xeon CPUs

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I'd like to see them up the Nov Denver version to 4ghz, put TWO in a pc (so 4 cpu cores, as denver is DUAL), slap a fan/heatsink on it, put an NV GPU inside and see what we get. If they can already do 2.5Ghz in a tablet (which was already benchmarked ages ago, I'm talking denver here), what happens with a massive heatsink/fan like a PC? So no OS or Intel premium, but with nearly the same power :) A 50-80w version, with a 780TI in it etc (pic your card). Something I can run a triboot of Linux, Android and SteamOS, assuming this gets ported to arm shortly by NV or Valve or both working together. They could sell them cheaper with not discrete card (just the two socs) and then have a PCIE in there so you can pick a card at any time to explode your gaming ;) I think I'd double the SMX's though (so you'd have two chips with TWO SMX on each) to catch the apus out now (iris/A10's etc) to really take them on.

That would have lots of versatility in software, great gamer, and certainly steal a lot of sales from Wintel camp. Surely a great HTPC, great for email, web etc same crap low end stuff can do now for 85% of us etc.

As for Boudler, it's been giving a rest for a while. They aren't concentrating on server right now at this point. They didn't say they wouldn't again (or that Denver couldn't fill SOME of those roles), I just think they don't see the ecosystem to support the endeavor yet so are passing on this first round of arm stuff. It's easier to take on a desktop where there isn't so much testing/certification that has to happen (costly) and the base work is all done for that transition into the PC like box. Just amp it up with more mhz and watts and slap a HSF on it.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
I'd like to see them up the Nov Denver version to 4ghz, put TWO in a pc (so 4 cpu cores, as denver is DUAL), slap a fan/heatsink on it, put an NV GPU inside and see what we get. If they can already do 2.5Ghz in a tablet (which was already benchmarked ages ago, I'm talking denver here), what happens with a massive heatsink/fan like a PC? So no OS or Intel premium, but with nearly the same power :) A 50-80w version, with a 780TI in it etc (pic your card). Something I can run a triboot of Linux, Android and SteamOS, assuming this gets ported to arm shortly by NV or Valve or both working together. They could sell them cheaper with not discrete card (just the two socs) and then have a PCIE in there so you can pick a card at any time to explode your gaming ;) I think I'd double the SMX's though (so you'd have two chips with TWO SMX on each) to catch the apus out now (iris/A10's etc) to really take them on.

That would have lots of versatility in software, great gamer, and certainly steal a lot of sales from Wintel camp. Surely a great HTPC, great for email, web etc same crap low end stuff can do now for 85% of us etc.
Also find it interesting.
As for Boudler, it's been giving a rest for a while. They aren't concentrating on server right now at this point. They didn't say they wouldn't again (or that Denver couldn't fill SOME of those roles), I just think they don't see the ecosystem to support the endeavor yet so are passing on this first round of arm stuff. It's easier to take on a desktop where there isn't so much testing/certification that has to happen (costly) and the base work is all done for that transition into the PC like box. Just amp it up with more mhz and watts and slap a HSF on it.

Yes, they are waiting to mature ecosystem, which makes sense.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Also find it interesting.

Yes, they are waiting to mature ecosystem, which makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS