Nvidia Shield 2 Shows Up in Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Te3k

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
What's the point of a Shield? Just buy a Moga, and strap the universal controller to any Android device. If you've already got a phone with a decent screen and enough power, then you wouldn't need two devices. A Moga would work with any Android phone, and when you upgrade your hardware, you take your Moga with you. If your phone's not good enough, then why not upgrade it instead of buying a Shield? It makes so much more sense. We've already got an Android device. We don't need another; we just need a solution for gaming on the one we have. That's where external universal controllers come in.

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

You get a shield for the PC remote gaming. If you buy a Shield to play Android games you are wasting money.

Why would it need to be?
A 5" screen at 1440 x 810 is already pushing 330.44 PPI.

The resolution is more than good enough; I could even argue that the old 5" 720p screen was more than enough as the controller keeps it from being held so close to your eyes.

Pushing unnecessary resolutions does nothing but lower your performance and drop your battery life.
Keep it reasonable guys!

john675

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
More pixels means a higher resolution but that also means they need to stream more pixels. Having decent bandwidth is fairly rare.

sgrams04

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
In before people bitch about the resolution being small FOR A 5" SCREEN. Oh, no wait. I'm too late. Looks like it's already starting.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006

You get a shield for the PC remote gaming. If you buy a Shield to play Android games you are wasting money.
While that might be true at the same time the same could be said about buying a PC to game on a Android device.

starmajoris

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Yep, it was resolution that made people *not buying* 84" 1080p screens or 110"+ wall projectors to watch BR movies. Moan now because you have only 1440x810 on a 5" screen. (I really, really need 4k on my 10" tablet...)

blackbeard34

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Even though I don't go anywhere or have friends and family - a shield would be nice gaming device - but 16 gbs of storage? Come on now why can't we a 200 or 300gbs - in small form factor ssd. As it is right now aside from not having a gaming laptop - best 'on' the go gaming is with my modified pspgo or maybe in future a smart phone. But before that maybe a gaming laptop - data plans are still to expensive and so are smart phones - you would think price would come down with as much cell phone saturation as there is.

Triakel

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Before criticizing the Shield's capabilities, I suggest spending a few hours with one. The current model is excellent for a first-generation device -- good ergonomics, good screen, and great performance on both Android and streamed PC games. The current Tegra 4 is solidly constructed and overclocked, so comparing it to a smartphone paired with a MOGA is useless is good gaming is your objective (the Shield is much faster and resolutions are much better on Tegra-optimized games). I agree the screen should be bigger (maybe another 1-inch diagonal), but not much bigger. It's also a bit heavy, but not so heavy I haven't been able to game comfortably for 2-3 hours at a time. Biggest disappointment for me is the cramped 16 GB storage, which was plenty on Jellybean (when coupled with an SD card), but it not enough after the Kit Kat update. Resolution is quite good for this size display, and I would great prefer fluid motion (I have yet to encounter choppy frame rates) to "retina" resolution that sucks power and frames. If you want 1080p, buy a BT controller and plug the Shield into your flat screen TV. Done. If that's not good enough, expect incremental improvements in subsequent generations. The basics are already covered, and I expect to see imitative devices, esp. once the Steam Machine platform gets off the ground. I use my Shield almost daily and now consider it an indispensable part of my gaming life. Seriously, playing PC games this way is a blast, and a great alternative to sitting at a desk. I will likely upgrade to Shield 2 at some point, but remain very satisfied with my Shield 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS