Nvidia Shield: 4K Streaming And Gaming For The Living Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Not bad (far from revolutionary). Two or three years from now, with 512 cuda cores, this think could compete with consoles, but for now it's really just good for 4k video playback in my opinion.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
They said that it will change game industry, something they were developing for years, and they're showing us... new SHIELD? :/

nismoguy82

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I can see this being way better than Sony's PSNow game streaming, if: they deliver on a better catalog of games, keep the latency down, and priced right.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Game industry is reforming rapidly toward Vulcan, never in history so much big corporate players didn't stand so united in process of making new unified open source standard. Best part is that everyone of them is backing it up best they can on much wider software level. In last 3 day's we got 2 premium game engines that are now totally open sourced & free to use non commercially & ARM is aiding them with new advanced illumination. So revolution is definitely happening & there where it matters most.

OneFai

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
So we are just going to recycle all those old console /PC games with Android/iOS? Why would I want to do that on TV? Playing phone games on TV....
$200 dollars is a big too much. Maybe 100 dollars or 150 with the controller.

nismoguy82

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

If priced right and if they have current games on the GRID, this would be a highly appealing option for those casuals that are curious and itching to build a PC, but want nothing to do with actual PC upkeep and so on.

Its starting to look promising.
Now, let me install my steam library and run my games on it and Ill buy it.
Tell me to repurchase all my games (and only those that are available) and im not going to consider it.

WHat good is a gaming device where you cant play what you want?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Let me get this straight , you pay lots of money to stream games from your PC that already costs you lot of money ... WHY ? So you game in your living room ??? Why ? You get cheaper by just putting your PC in a nice case in your living room .. or just buy another big TV in your gaming room.. this way you don`t have to argue with your wife what to watch on TV...

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
These services are pretty cool, as my PC is upstairs and the TV isn't. I just bought a new receiver to wire my PC up to the TV. Using WiFi, I have an app on my tablet to control the mouse and keyboard. This thing may be a good alternative to HDMI/Cat5e from my PC to my receiver.

InvalidError

Titan

Nvidia's main focus with this thing is just 4k media streaming and GRiD gaming. The number of CUDA cores is mostly irrelevant since the device relies on remote processing power for serious gaming.

play natively? you need to port the game to ARM first.

The great thing about America, and her influence across the globe, is the ability of an entrepreneur to develop a market, or cut-out their own special niche within an existing market. YaY!

Which brings to mind the saying (often falsely attributed to the infamous showman PT Barnum): "There's a sucker born every minute."

I'm not saying this will not work for some folks in a special way. What I'm saying is that it has a perverse type of validation, a kind of Forer Effect, built upon a pyramid designed for the consumer (I'm thinking, 'parents') to land arse-first on the pinnacle (directly on their wallet :)).

So ... the Shield portable is Tegra4, "4K Ultra-HD ready" with Mini-HDMI output, except that it's limited to 780p, and the micro USB to RJ45 is 10/100. Well, okay. We'll build a much better, faster bunny rabbit. (Ya'll see where I'm going with this?)

Moving on ... the Shield Media Console is Tegra X1, "4K Ultra-HD ready" with HDMI 2, except that it presumably requires a Chromecast dongle ($35 ?) or similar device coming with monthly subscription service(s) costing $XYZ, except when it costs 2X $XYZ monthly for premium hi-rez content streaming, AND, (we're finally getting to the crux of this rambling) ...

With the primary purpose of the nVidia 4K "media console" being of course, 'Android' gaming, you have your monthly regular GRID subscription for $ABC (which gets you 720p/30fps if you have 15Mbps down or "minimum 5 Mbps") or in reality, the 'premium' monthly service costing 2X $ABC for streaming at 1080p/60fps (recommended 50Mbps - 15Mbps minimum), each with the promise of "discussions with developers around taking top games to Android" ...

With an easy-peasy monthly billing deducted directly from your parents credit card or checking account for perpetuity, or until you jump through a series of hoops of which PT Barnum would be especially proud.

When you likely own the game(s) already (Crysis3 !!!), could play them at no cost with as much eye candy and resolution you can stand (and afford) ...

Did I miss something?

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I guess I am just a video snob, but no thank you on the stream to TV craze. TVs are not meant to be good gaming windows - in fact compared to my monitors - they suck big time. Laggy, blurry, torn messes of nastiness. For me I see no point in ruining my games and my gaming experience by running a PC on my TV or getting a steam box or buying this thing (and yes I do have the Shield Tablet!)

To me it would be like watching TV like a poor person - read: no HD - man you definitely can tell the difference.

This is a good step. For $100, people will be running 4K GTX titan performance from the cloud.
However; I think the next step is really to get vGPU support from the cloud is it's running the graphics "locally", instead of just watching a high quality video of the game running remotely. This is very possible with Gigabit internet. Go go Google fiber!

Status
Not open for further replies.