Nvidia Shield: Hands-On With A Tegra 4-Based Handheld

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
As someone who has their pc upstairs and watches their 96 year old great grandmother downstairs a lot of the time I'd say this thing is great! Total godsend.
Sure, I'd rather be playing on my pc, but I barely get to touch it anymore and all my games are on it.
Just might have to grab one and upgrade the router and the wireless card in my pc.

cheve

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I hope Hawken is only a tech demo and is not production ready yet. If you look at the screenshot taken for this aritcle, the chinese text(both red and black/dark color) on the wall of the buildings are identical/ repeated everywhere. It is somewhat sloppy.

i cant wait to buy one of these, the current handheld market is underpowered, and i want something like the tegra4 to give me decent frames in good quality on the go, question remains what will be the final price of this nvidia handheld gaming system?

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I want one. My computer is upstairs and I have a projector downstairs, so this would be great for streaming the games to the projector vs. dragging the PC downstairs every time I want to play.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]iceclock[/nom]i cant wait to buy one of these, the current handheld market is underpowered, and i want something like the tegra4 to give me decent frames in good quality on the go, question remains what will be the final price of this nvidia handheld gaming system?[/citation]
I agree with you, but what makes you certain there will be any decent games for this?

Eh...
My monitor is a 37" HDTV.
I have a PS3 controller connected to my PC for racing games and emulation or whatever else.

I guess I just couldn't justify buying one of these...

Plus, like the reviewer, I'm not sure what games (other than racing) that i would play with a game pad over a mouse and keyboard.

RANT WARNING...
I'm kinda old school, Quake 1 tought me to use the mouse for first person shooters and I've never looked back. Even started playing older games that way (Doom and Duke Nukem 3D).
For those who don't know/understand why:
--Turn around as fast as you can with your joystick. (You are limited)
--The speed at which you turn or look around with a mouse is only limited by your reaction time and the speed that you actually move the mouse.
--Some games allow you to adjust the joystick sensativity which is great if you need to look to turn around faster but makes it much more difficult to aim due to the high sensativity. So you may be able to fix one issue but it creates a new one.

And those are the reasons I feel that a first person shooter using a console controller feels klunky.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]... to use the mouse for first person shooters and I've never looked back....I feel that a first person shooter using a console controller feels klunky.[/citation]

Since the days of Quake the number of HTPC users has grow to the millions.Even some PC users do not like to emulate "The Hunchback of Notra Dame" when playing.

Every time time some developer ditch the controller support for a game first it should do the math.
If of the millions of HTPC users if only 1% buy the game, it would be making tens of thousands dollars.

The salary of a second class programmer for two days needed for adding the support is ridiculous low compared to that.

And there is no reason to be klunky some FPS has done right for years; just ask any Halo fan.

Angry Bellic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
A portable device ( I am NOT talking about Laptops or Gaming Laptops or whatever ) that can run GTA IV ( Don't start anything saying GTA IV is only for XBox 360, PC ..... blah blah blah ) maxed out will NOT come before 2020, trust me on this one.

nilfisktun

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
But if you need a desktop to play games on this thing, why wouldnt you just use the pc instead? Bigger screen and better controls/sound etc...

Thats a fail :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS