Nvidia Shield Hits $199, Adds Remote GameStreaming in KitKat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Only if it worked on all video-cards.. not Nvidia only. Proprietary tech annoys me.
it is made by Nvidia so of course it will be only on their cards if it was like a company like Asus or MSI then it would of worked for all cards

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Only if it worked on all video-cards.. not Nvidia only. Proprietary tech annoys me.
it is made by Nvidia so of course it will be only on their cards if it was like a company like Asus or MSI then it would of worked for all cards
Honestly I'm with them on this in this case it is annoying. I would think any Cuda based Nvidia card from like a 8800GT would be capable of streaming. I'd imagine the load is dominantly CPU and network dependent anyway and probably doesn't really tax the GPU any harder or a limited amount on the host PC. The shield handheld itself is probably taxed a fair bit in order to stream the data fluidly, but I doubt the host PC is bogged down much by it.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I would think any Cuda based Nvidia card from like a 8800GT would be capable of streaming. I'd imagine the load is dominantly CPU and network dependent anyway and probably doesn't really tax the GPU any harder or a limited amount on the host PC.

Nope, the Kepler cards have additional hardware built into them that handles the encoding of the game automatically so there is no impact on the rest of your system. Earlier cards lack this hardware so are not compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.