Nvidia Shield Line Will See an Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
You must be kidding, it runs everything android runs as a straight copy of the OS. Based on reviews that are out there (4.5 stars at amazon etc), you are fairly alone. There were dozens I'd like to play on android last year and more added monthly. I'm guessing if I go look again I'm now likely to have a list of near 100 that are fairly console like that I'm interesting in.

You're either lying and don't even own one, or I don't know confused about how to get to tegrazone or google's store? It's a highly refined product today, with mapping software, streaming from pc to anywhere now, plays all movies etc (anything android does), music etc, output to tv, res/specs FAR above vita/3ds. I don't get your comment.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Who buys a Shield to play shitty mobile games anyway? I want one to stream games from my PC anywhere in the world. That is the real application.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
There are awesome games on the Tegra store! Doug is smoking crack. Alpha Wave is one of the most fun mobile games I've ever gotten my hands on.

The shield supports the billion android google play store games, Tegra games, can stream PC games to it AND android emulators let you play all your favorite console games on it as well. I have my shield loaded up with NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2 and gamecube games that I loved growing up.

The shield is by far the best gaming device to ever launch since the PC lol. I will be purchasing a SHIELD 2 for sure.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Didn't know there was a PS2 emu. Is it running as good as the ones on the PC? Do the games spit and sputter here and there or all smooth fps? This might get me to buy a R2 version (so close now why buy r1 today) as I have a lot of PS2 games. I still think I'll wait out the 20nm version but maybe not if vid cards aren't 20nm for my xmas gifts to myself...LOL. I can't get through xmas waiting for broadwell K, a great gsync monitor and a 20nm gpu. I'll have to buy something as a new toy (toys?...LOL) :) It seems this xmas year may be chalked up to one word so far for me probably: Waiting. With a working PS2 emu that doesn't choke or is close enough the K1 should have no issues I'd assume with yet more power.

RupertJr

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Who buys a Shield to play shitty mobile games anyway? I want one to stream games from my PC anywhere in the world. That is the real application.
well in order to do so it does not only depend on shield but network latency may make what you are saying pretty difficult, so maybe you are able to stream games in your home network and not farther. I mean at playable frame rates...

Richard Deurhof

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I only see 1 big problem with Shield..... Still not for sale in Europe! I could order it from US but I'd rather not.

considering all my friends got at least 50Mbit fiber or cable I should be able to stream my games from almost anywhere, but I would still need to be able to buy Shield first

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Yes currently YMMV as tomshardware followup review showed. They actually had better gameplay from outside the state than inside on the same ISP network IIRC. I really only intend to do it in house though, and just android stuff on the go if desired. I can wait out a few revs of the software updates until they figure out how to get all the packets on time. ;) There are enough good android games I have no need to play skryim or something on the road from my gpu at home though I may seek that option if they get it working very reliably at some point. I can't stand hiccups in gameplay. Having said that, there are many games you could easily get away with that are not so latency sensitive (maybe turn based strategy or RPG). But I'd still just play android stuff most likely out of the house. I really only want one to get games on the tv (android and maybe pc streamed) without having to sit at the PC all the time or buy a new console (out of the question on xbox1/ps4 for me). The other stuff is all bonus features to me but not the main draw probably. Portable HDMI output to TV movie player is another huge feature for me though.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Wait for R2! Not sure if they'll get to you by then but why not by USA when it hits? Amazon comes to mind ;) It's not a modem device so should go anywhere. Maybe you need an adapter to recharge it but anything else stopping this?

http://www.androidwafer.com/nvidia-shield-to-get-portal-but-still-no-european-release/
Maybe NV waiting for get partners in for rev2 release. They admit the first one was learning how to deal with selling to end users direct. That should be over with R2 next month I'd think. It's been out for a year I hope R2 goes nearly everywhere if they want it to really take off that has to happen. I think they're just making sure they get it right and don't screw it up though. They're adding lots of features and now about to hit r2 so maybe you'll be seeing them local soon.

Richard Deurhof

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
thnx for the tip, i was kinda hoping the reason shield wasn't available in EU was because they'd skip Shield 1 and start shipping Shield 2 directly

I just checked amazon.com and if i order it there i'll pay like $199 and a few bucks shipping, so that's about €170......

But when i checked : http://www.androidwafer.com/nvidia-shield-to-get-portal-but-still-no-european-release/ I almost got a heartattack (or at least my wallet did)

Importers are currently selling the SHIELD for around £250 on Amazon UK, €335 on Amazon Germany and €330 on Amazon France. But these figures are considerably above the $249.99 (approximately €180/£150) selling price in the United States – the difference is so large it cannot simply be accounted for by European sales taxes.

so i'm gonna wait a few more weeks and if nothing changes I'll order from US..... Even if I order 2 I'd still pay less

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Wow, expensive. I would have a heart attack myself, and the wallet would scream and run from me laughing...LOL.

But WAIT for sure, you'll be a LOT happier knowing the wait actually got you a REV2 K1 model. Might as well get something out of waiting a year ;) I'll be shocked if it doesn't get announced at google I/O in two weeks with availability immediately or in July. I'd guess that depends on how many the still have left after dropping R1 to $199. That was supposed to end in may, but they kept it going (clearing stock I'd guess so keeping it running). Google/NV just announced project tango a week ago or so, and last year shield was all over the center of the floor being demoed.

Clearly google is moving into gaming (they have a game site for devs now for quite some time), so I'll be shocked if they don't do the announcement of R2 at google's show since it's perfect timing as last year was out july 31st and pre-order in end of may IIRC. Rumor is they swapped to tegra for a gaming tablet instead of qcom also. I hope they are doing that as nobody else is tackling gaming on android like Nvidia.

Definitely watch out for importers jacking up things ;) At those prices the rev2 would be a decent deal anyway as I doubt it will be over $300 and they may hit $250 for pre-order or something to kick it off. I doubt K1 is much more expensive to make and should be a drop in replacement with little effort as K1 is low watt kepler supposedly (we'll see but I suspect it's good on power with A15r3 also dropping juice). All around crazy to buy old version so close to the new one unless they put it out at $350 or some crazy price. If they want to sell the crap out of them they'll mark it at $250 or lower since it cost so little to develop (10mil for R1) and you really want market share no matter what as long as you're not losing money. Console death is the goal, along with expanding gpu sales to streamers. Also I'm sure they want OpenGL pushed (valve helping, allowing porting to shield also etc, gabe wants DX/windows dead) as at some point that leads to an ALL NV box with no WINTEL. Ultimate revenge on Intel for killing the chipset biz years ago. There is a lot of hate between NV/Intel so a cheap shield just leads to more NV android stuff and gpu sales. I'm praying for $250 or less. I won't bite at $300 until 20nm R3. I'd pay for that die shrink but not $300 for R2. I know it's better than R1 but not $100 better...ROFL.

I really think they should just sell at cost until next year so more games/devices with tegra are in the wild pushing the brand and android gaming. Whatever kills vita/3ds/consoles is good for NV sales and the android gaming ecosystem (any opengl stuff great for steamos ports too). They can go a year without profits from shield, just don't sell at a loss. BOM is probably under $170 since 3ds is $101 and Vita is $159 IIRC and that was launch. I'm sure for both it's down now so r2 might even be made under $170 especially since NV owns the soc. They don't have to charge themselves $25 for it ;)

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I'm getting so f'n tired of not being able to get near my pc until late at night I'm really considering buying a Shield just to play my PC via cross network. The controller part already looks pretty usable.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

You mean because kids or something monopolize the PC all day or something else? Great use case if that's what you mean. Wait for r2 next month if you can, I think it's going to be a pretty large perf improvement on cpu and gpu. I don't expect it to be more than $300 either and pre-order people may get it $250 or even 200 if they're really trying to push it into more hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.