Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 Receives Marshmallow Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this update available only to relaunched K1, or to original Tablet too? Especially 32GB variant?

Considering the hardware is exactly the same, aside from the extra memory on the 32gb model and the lack of a bundled stylus, I'd expect a release soon. When Nvidia first annouced the update for the K1, they also stated it would come to the previous models, although no timeframe was provided.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I can't be the only one thinking "how did this thing get started?", someone was playing games on his smart phone and thought "hey, I like playing games on my smart phone, but the screen is too small, what if I also have a controller like my console, that would be great" and this is why we have THIS.

Yeah, mine too, but they removed the stylus for the K1. It doesn't even have the slot for it. In fact, the only differences I'm aware of are that the "K1" version does not come with the stylus and also has no 32GB version.

Edit: I can see how my previous post was very confusing.

I can't be the only one thinking "how did this thing get started?", someone was playing games on his smart phone and thought "hey, I like playing games on my smart phone, but the screen is too small, what if I also have a controller like my console, that would be great" and this is why we have THIS.

We're evolving. At one time, in the harshest of winters, Man might have had to climb a tree to do a proper #2. Eventually, we had our bathrooms, and so we read anything we could get our hands on, even the labels on normal household goods would suffice. Eventually, there came a day we could explore open worlds, and run and gun despite the runs. It was a glorious day.

rex2001

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Got my update yesterday morning. Installed smoothly. Except, apps collapsing, not working. Resolved to delete and instilled again. Problems with downloading either from Google Play or devrlopers' websites. No help. Finally had to restart tablet a few times to get it working.
Tried to contact Nvidia but email never got out (in que). Chat line on company website has no answer.
Anyone have the same problem or solution?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Great to see how NV supports their stuff (most tab/phone makers dump product support with the next gen ASAP), but I'm really waiting for 13in+ die shrunk X1 or whatever is next. Shocked they didn't update to X1 by now for everything. Not sure what this means. X1's not high enough production to make it into other stuff or maybe something else just around the corner so no point? Produced too many K1's so can't move on? I'm sure their die shrink is coming, but not sure why they didn't push X1 more. I might have even bit on an X1 handheld update for xmas. But I won't buy a tablet without an NV die shrink (mostly about games and watching training vids for me). Same with a vid card. Die shrink (16 or 14nm) or forget it. I've waited so long now I'm committed to a die shrink for both period.

AMD is still in the running for the gpu, but it has to beat NV's power/heat or I won't hesitate to go NV for driver updates (for games at launch etc) alone. With AMD pushing the cpu (to pull in gpu I guess first) they probably lost my dad's cpu upgrade to Intel just like me.

From where I'm sitting my xmas toys to myself were merely drives (pair of 4TB's)...ROFL. This is a sad xmas when the best tech can get me to do is say "well, I guess I could use more HD space and some blank blurays"... :( Monitor put off until more shakes out on gsync/freesync still and of course which way I'd go on gpu. So again, no good toys this year...Get with it tech companies, I feel like I should have just slept in this year...LOL. Maybe it's just me, but I really hope next year is a better tech year.

Status
Not open for further replies.