News Nvidia Shield TV Pro Briefly Appears on Amazon Featuring Tegra X1+

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I'll paste my Engadget comment here:

The nVidia shield released when the iPhone 6 was the current model. Now the iPhone 11 is the current model: with it, the Manhattan benchmark has gone from 20 to 110 fps, so a 450 percent improvement over the same time period. If Apple can do it, I'm pretty sure nVidia could do the same. The new nVidia shield should be 450 percent faster for the same price, not 25 percent faster. Even the Raspberry Pi has seen much more improvement than the Shield in terms of speed. If Apple updates the Apple TV again to the A12X processor, I'm dumping my nVidia shield, I'm tired of their neglect of the platform (which considering how much Apple has neglected their potential, that's saying something). Roku and Apple TV for me. Even the $35 Raspberry Pi 4 has a faster CPU than the nVidia shield now.

alquix

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
you are completely ignoring the gpu aspect of this device. the iphone 6's gpu clocked 450mhz delivering 115 GFLOPS (FP32), while the 2015 tegra x1 gpu clocked 1000mhz with 512 GFLOPS. That's like comparing an RTX 2060 and a Titan RTX rig based on how the CPU it is pair with has evolved over time

I'll paste my Engadget comment here:

The nVidia shield released when the iPhone 6 was the current model. Now the iPhone 11 is the current model: with it, the Manhattan benchmark has gone from 20 to 110 fps, so a 450 percent improvement over the same time period. If Apple can do it, I'm pretty sure nVidia could do the same. The new nVidia shield should be 450 percent faster for the same price, not 25 percent faster. Even the Raspberry Pi has seen much more improvement than the Shield in terms of speed. If Apple updates the Apple TV again to the A12X processor, I'm dumping my nVidia shield, I'm tired of their neglect of the platform (which considering how much Apple has neglected their potential, that's saying something). Roku and Apple TV for me. Even the $35 Raspberry Pi 4 has a faster CPU than the nVidia shield now.
If the Shield was as fast as the iPhone 11 and also $1000 would you be happy?

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
If the Shield was as fast as the iPhone 11 and also $1000 would you be happy?

The Raspberry Pi has a faster CPU and is $35, what is your point? Maybe you should try to understand what I wrote. You're not buying the CPU by itself with the iPhone (which is $699) and the point was how EVERY ARM CPU maker except nVidia has released products with massive improvements in the last 5 years since the nVidia Shield's Note 4 2014 CPU.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The Raspberry Pi has a faster CPU and is $35, what is your point? Maybe you should try to understand what I wrote. You're not buying the CPU by itself with the iPhone (which is $699) and the point was how EVERY ARM CPU maker except nVidia has released products with massive improvements in the last 5 years since the nVidia Shield's Note 4 2014 CPU.
Serious question, is there anything the Shield does that would legitimately benefit from being 450% faster? How much power do you need to watch a 4k video with HDR and Dolby audio? The Shield is basically a video player, with video hardware decoding, what need is there for a high end CPU?