Nvidia SLI Multi-Card confussion HELP!?!?!

JavierElNeNe

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
First thing im no so good with the english

I got a 9600GSO i want to use Nvidia SLI MultiCard or i heard that you can use Nvidia and ATI both at the same time with the bridge connection, ATI using Graphics and Nvidia using PhsyX but i dont now HOW...

and about Nvidia MultiCard wich high performance card can i use with my 9600GSO using SLI MultiCard

Thanks and sorry for my english

Solution
The 9600GSO is by no means high performance. And so far as combining multiple cards, they must be the same graphics card.

For ATI "Crossfire" both cards must be ATI and be the same model (i.e. 4870 + 4870)

For nVidia "SLI" the same is true. Both cards must be the same.

You can't combine ATI & nVidia cards together and have them work with one another.

As far as PhysX goes, you can install two nVidia cards that are NOT the same, and use one for PhysX while the other (usually the better of the two cards) does everything else. Also, very important, is to determine if your motherboard supports ATI Crossfire or nVidia SLI. As early motherboards only supported one or the other, and not both.

Then, depending on what you're intention is...
The 9600GSO is by no means high performance. And so far as combining multiple cards, they must be the same graphics card.

For ATI "Crossfire" both cards must be ATI and be the same model (i.e. 4870 + 4870)

For nVidia "SLI" the same is true. Both cards must be the same.

You can't combine ATI & nVidia cards together and have them work with one another.

As far as PhysX goes, you can install two nVidia cards that are NOT the same, and use one for PhysX while the other (usually the better of the two cards) does everything else. Also, very important, is to determine if your motherboard supports ATI Crossfire or nVidia SLI. As early motherboards only supported one or the other, and not both.

Then, depending on what you're intention is, you may have to look at details on whether your power supply can provide enough power for both video cards.

Solution
You can use the GSO for PhysX, and use the 260GTX for graphics. However, they would not be an "SLI" setup.

SLI would required two matching video cards. The design of SLI would allow two graphics cards to compute graphics simultaneously, distributing the workload between them.

PhysX on the other hand, allows one nVidia card to literally do computations for physics related aspects of a game, and the other video card would do all other graphical computations.

PhysX and SLI are not the same thing. Both however, are an nVidia only feature.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Being able to CF two different cards in a series is kind of pointless because the faster card will downclock itself to the slower card, so say you had a 4870 and a 4850 it would be like two 4850s and you would have spent extra money for the 4870. The only way to use two cards from NV and ATI is through the lucid hydra chipset which isn't on a consumer board yet. The only one I've heard about is the MSI's Big Bang Fuzion.

I don't think the Lucid chip supports all and every Ati and Nvidia card in a multi GPU config.

anonymousdude

Distinguished

I've only heard about what it does and not really about the specifics like what series cards it will support or anything like that.