Nvidia: Smartphones Will Beat Console Performance by 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Pretty much all games on handhelds are crap, no matter how good their graphics are. It's just not a type of device that allows immersion.[/citation]

Explain how it is any different? You sit down, you play. You do the same thing on a computer, with a console etc..

Actually if anything, the sensors in devices would allow for a different level of immersion.
You are blind to believe that all phone titles are bad.

They aren't supposed to compete on the same level, they are generally time-wasters, not games to play 24/7.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Of course consoles are stagnant....
they "appear" once every 5-7 years or so, then they don't upgrade until the next version is out...
in another 5-7 years.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They aren't supposed to compete on the same level, they are generally time-wasters, not games to play 24/7.[/citation]

Exactly, and that's why games on handhelds are crap. You could cram a GTX 680 inside a tablet and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Of course consoles are stagnant.... they "appear" once every 5-7 years or so, then they don't upgrade until the next version is out...in another 5-7 years.[/citation]

It seems more like their refresh schedule was unofficially extended to about a decade since we're not expecting the Xbox 720s and the PS4s until past 2013 or 2014.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Explain how it is any different? You sit down, you play. You do the same thing on a computer, with a console etc..[/citation]
Mobile gaming suffers from:

1) Small screen size
2) HQ audio
3) Good input device (try using touch for RTS or FPS)
4) No keyboard for shortcuts

Of course you could plug in a keyboard and a mouse and a larger 3rd party monitor and speakers, but then you have essentially a "desktop computer".

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
The future of gaming is mobile, social and cloud based. It's sad to see old people clinging to their consoles, clunky controllers, desktops and sad, lonely single player games. Get with the times, people.

exban224

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
[citation][nom]besplatan[/nom]The future of gaming is mobile, social and cloud based. It's sad to see old people clinging to their consoles, clunky controllers, desktops and sad, lonely single player games. Get with the times, people.[/citation]
This is why the game industry is stagnating, people expecting mobile devices to become serious. They should stay as casual gaming devices only, no matter how good the graphics are, same with motion controls and 3d.

Turk021

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Yes, simple games for simple minded tools of the new age, fools.[/citation]

Unfortunately the majority of people are this way

EzioAs

Distinguished
Thumbs up for you guys here who says gaming on a handheld is a waste.

So what if mobile devices reach console performance? You're still stuck on a small screen, very poorly optimized control, waste your battery when it's needed most and no upgrade path. Consoles are better since you can game on a big screen, have very optimized controllers and while you still can't upgrade it, it presents a good features for people who doesn't need top level graphics and uses their pc for work or web browsing. Of course, PC is still the best gaming choice.

PC>Consoles>Mobile

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure I've talked with people about predictions like this a year or two ago.
[citation][nom]besplatan[/nom]The future of gaming is mobile, social and cloud based. It's sad to see old people clinging to their consoles, clunky controllers, desktops and sad, lonely single player games. Get with the times, people.[/citation]
What will the controls be like then? I struggle to see a mobile device being better for FPS's, RTS's, RPG's etc than a PC, primarily because of the controls.

I fail to see why you have a problem with single player games. If you're all about being social and interacting, go to a bar or a club and meet people.

EzioAs

Distinguished

Lol nice one there.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Explain how it is any different? You sit down, you play. You do the same thing on a computer, with a console etc..Actually if anything, the sensors in devices would allow for a different level of immersion.You are blind to believe that all phone titles are bad.They aren't supposed to compete on the same level, they are generally time-wasters, not games to play 24/7.[/citation]
You just argued it wasn't any different, then argued the games are designed to be different. Tiny screens and side scroller games don't interest me and many other people. There's a big difference.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]exban224[/nom]This is why the game industry is stagnating, people expecting mobile devices to become serious. They should stay as casual gaming devices only, no matter how good the graphics are, same with motion controls and 3d.[/citation]

I don't agree with the premise that mobile devices shouldn't be 'serious'.
I think they should because it would be excellent to have the ability to do serious work on the go which would be comparable to stationary desktops (not ones of today but those in the future) in a small form factor.
However, I do agree with the notion that in their current form, I cannot really take mobile games 'seriously'.

Creating 'proper' games that include immersion, thinking, etc. would be preferable.

Look at point and click adventure games... while I will agree that for some of them, the smartphone screen is a bit too small... I wouldn't say the same for tablets.

Also... with the advent of gpu accelerated professional programs, doing relatively complex tasks would be easier.
Of course, I would prefer a diamond/graphene composition of computer chips that would allow unprecedented speed/power/efficiency at the same time and do away with silicone all-together.

freedas

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
PC is still the best gaming choice.
g.gif

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Obvious troll is obvious. Skyrim's sales tell you a different story about single player games. Mobile gaming is popular only because people travel with their phones and have a few minutes here and there to play. Social gaming is only popular because of 40yo stay at home moms with nothing else to do. How do you get "the future of gaming" out of a few spare mobile minutes and bored housewives when the rest of the gaming community that plays everything else will always be around.

I personally don't care.First of all,we're going to see the next Xbox/PS3 in 2013-2014.Also,even if smartphones/tablets manage to outperform consoles in terms of graphic,I'd rather stay with PC/Consoles because mouse/keyboard/controller are much better than playing on a touchscreen surface

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
They forgot to put the PS3, and upcoming nintendo in the graph!
surely, if consoles are not growing, neither should the cellphones.
Meaning in 2014 cellphones will beat CURRENT console systems, all thanks to the latest Wii, and 3DS which not really have been graphic wonders.

dragon199

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
its about time they realise that a good game means great gameplay great story decent length and not just graphics
further solid buttons are always better than a touchscreen

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]They forgot to put the PS3, and upcoming nintendo in the graph!surely, if consoles are not growing, neither should the cellphones.Meaning in 2014 cellphones will beat CURRENT console systems, all thanks to the latest Wii, and 3DS which not really have been graphic wonders.[/citation]Developers are saying that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are very close in terms of performance. Remember that nVidia is responsible for the PS3's RSX chip

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I dont do mobile gaming at all, and rarely play console games but I still have to take issue with this graph. Look at the pc and console solid lines. The ps3 came out the end of 06 and its chip was more powerful than what was being offered in PCs at that time. Yet the graph claims that the consoles were superior for a brief time the year before.

Lastly A gpu maker that makes gpu's for mobile phones projecting great things for the mobile market? Shocker!

Status
Not open for further replies.