Question NVIDIA Standard type driver installation on laptop which previously had NVIDIA DCH type driver ?

Jul 4, 2023
[Moderator edit to break up one solid paragraph of text.]

Hello Everyone. I have one question.

Can I install NVIDIA Standard type driver on laptop wchich early had NVIDIA DCH type driver without formatting and installing of Windows again?

I ask about it, baecause I want to install NVIDIA Standard type driver on laptop wchich early had NVIDIA DCH type driver. Laptop is Lenovo Legion Y740-17ICHg with NVIDIA Geforce RTX2060 graphics card.

Unfortunately any installation attempts NVIDIA Standard type driver ends failures, even if I already uninstalled this NVIDIA DCH type driver from Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and from Device Manager, completely uninstalling graphics card, of course selecting option „Remove the driver software for this device” ", and even by DDU program (Display Driver Uninstaller) running it as administrator also in safe mode, probably trying all possible options in this program.

Still no effect.

When I run the NVIDIA stock driver installer, after "Checking System Compatibility" I get the error "NVIDIA installer cannot continue - This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I'm worried, because I don't know, what to do next, and really I don't want such things like formatiing again and installing of Windows again. Someone probably will ask me „Why do you need NVIDIA Standard type driver, if you have NVIDIA DCH type driver, especially that NVIDIA DCH type driver is newer that NVIDIA standard type driver?”

Well, because, that I got this laptop to check and test does this laptop has working graphics card and because all games, which on it I tested like Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, GTA5 and Battlefield 1 shows different strange graphics related errors or shows some strange artifacts on screen I did think that it would be worth it install any other driver for graphics card and check what will happen then, for example will it be better, or too it will not change anything.

I want simply rule out fault of the graphics driver or the graphics card itself to know what to do next, but I'm still stuck. I will not hide, that this time I want resolve this problem possibly fast, because I have to tell my friend what he should to next with this his laptop.

The only thing which I did read about DCH drivers is that they are only compatible with Windows 10 x64 (and only from version 1803 and build 17134 upwards) and Windows 11, so I will not install probably them on any 32-bit system,

Am I right? I did read also that DCH drivers for NVIDIA are different from standard drivers in that DCH drivers do not include Control Panel or NVIDIA Control Panel, while standard drivers include it.

Below are the specifications of this Lenovo Legion Y740-17ICHg laptop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8750H 2,2 GHz

RAM: 16 GB DDR4

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX2060 6 GB VRAM GDDR6

OS: Microsoft WIndows 10 Home x64 wersja 22H2, original, not pirated

PSU: original 230W

I count on Your fast help, because i don't know what to do next. Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
DCH drivers are simply a more modular version of the driver set. This allows system builders to add customizations on top of a baseline driver and driver updates only affect the baseline driver. The modular part also includes not including the NVIDIA control panel app, because DCH drivers require a Microsoft Store compatible version (for whatever reason).

There's no real reason to use the Standard version over the DCH version, but you should stick to the one the computer was configured with.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

TRENDING THREADS