Nvidia Starts Taking Pre-orders for Tegra 4-powered Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Am i the only one who isnt interested one little bit about this thing? (not a dig at toms for reporting it, just saying).
I only clicked on the article because i had no idea what shield was, but man this thing is dumb.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Android games really aren't that fun. I'd rather have a 3DS. All of the RPGs are top-down hack-n-slash titles that take a few hours to complete. Or else you have to pay in-game for anything interesting.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
As I said in the last article about the Shield, this thing doesn't have that much value in my opinion. Some rumors had suggested a price as high as $450, so $350 isn't too bad, but still too high in my opinion. What Android games are good enough to buy a $350 device? The main value of this thing is it's PC streaming functionality, if you have a powerful gaming PC that is too big or gaudy to put in a living room, you could buy one of these and stream your PC games to your TV. Or if you already have a small htpc you game on in your living room, and somebody else wants to watch tv, you could keep playing by streaming your games to the Shield's screen. But honestly, is it worth $350 just for that? I don't think it is. And if you have a 500 series or older Nvidia card or an AMD card, you need to pay extra for a new video card just to stream games to the Shield.

The PS4 will have similar functionality, allowing you to stream your PS4 games to the Vita. But the Vita is $250, not $350, and there has been talk of a discount to $200 when the PS4 launches, as well as a PS4/Vita bundle that saves you even more money.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Titan sells like hot cakes. No reason why nvidia fanboys would not buy another overprices tech from them (no real difference from Apple bots, if you think about it).

Hey... I love my Nvidia GPUs just as much as the next guy that ever had to deal with crappy AMD drivers, but I'm not going to be shopping for this Android-on-a-joystick.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Nobody that has touched this device has said anything but GREAT stuff. Even at google io. Which is probably why they upped the date. Why wait if people are chomping to get at it. Find a bad review of hands on if you can. There are NONE. Nothing else can get your PC to your TV without them being in the same room right next to each other. That's big, and kills the need for a consoles or handheld other than shield. The first run of Titan sold out immediately and it was 100,000. Not sure how many they sold in runs after but it took almost 2 months to have ANY in stock. They came in, and were out of stock in hours each time until 2-3 weeks ago. This won't have trouble selling to them or many 600 series owners who want PC on their TV. This has more power than a Vita or 3DS also. It's a full blown android device too. All apps and games should run on this thing. I see a T4i coming soon I'd guess also with a modem so they can subsidize it through contracts with the carriers. Slight lower power but at 720p that's NO issue cutting the gpu 12 cores. All games would run fast still. That will really bump the sales as a phone also and subsidized. Ouya makes you re-purchase your games. Shield work via tegrazone or googleplay and you don't rebuy your games. They just got faster due to tegra 4 :)

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I would love to see some proper benchmarks of this before I (or anyone) plunks down $350... Wow Nvidia used to be a premier GPU company, what the hell happened?

Aaron Briggs

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Why are people complaining about price? most of you are willing to spend double or even triple that for a stupid tablet or phone i dont see the difference at leased this can stream real games to it but then again i still dont understand the enjoyment of mobile gaming in my house when i have a TV and or PC

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

1.)Nothing else can get your PC to your TV without them being in the same room right next to each other. : Intel Widi, wireless USB video, a 100ft HDMI cable, cat 5e/6 hdmi over ethernet adapter and cabling.

2.) That's big, and kills the need for a consoles or handheld other than shield. : Pick your flavor of console exclusives that kill the need for shield in a much greater way. Final Fantasy single player games? Mario? God of War? Halo?

3.) The first run of Titan sold out immediately and it was 100,000. : 90=% of them went to boutique builders and retail and web based stores.

Sorry, but for $350 if you want PC to tv streaming, buy a $100 adapter

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Shield interests me as a CPU enthusiast. I really want to get my hands on some A15-based hardware to play with. Right now the only A15 stuff we have in North America is the dual-core A15 SoCs inside the Nexus 10 and Samsung Chromebook. I'd like to play with Android on a quad-core A15 SoC like T4 to see what the next-gen standard of tablet performance will be like. I don't think it was mentioned in the article but Shield is going to have similar support to the official Tegra 4 BSP which is really cool. I'm still not sure if I'm willing to plunk down $350 for it though.

dietrich1

Honorable
May 16, 2013
me and my brother already pre-ordered 25 of these from multiple distributors. we're using them as remotes for a satellite project we're working on. might need some help down the road. if you'd like to contribute, don't throw out your batteries. just keep them in a bag and i'll let you know where to send them when the time comes...

edit: i see some of you are a little excited and you should be. the rumors are true. we are building a deathstar. it's not going to be "deadly" per se, but it will burn a lot if you stand in the way of the lazer for a day or two. (the radiation will most likely cause you to be disoriented before you notice the burn.)

if you wanna learn more about RF and satcom, use google. see you in the sky, brothers!

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
This reminds me of the plastic clip on device that allowed you to attach a PS3 controller to your phone to play games...only 10x more expensive. As far as hand held gaming is concerned I'd much rather buy a 3DS or a PS Vita, 1) they're cheaper, and 2) games have better replay value that Android/iOS games. I can see emulator games being run on this but then again you can probably find emulators to run on the 3DS/Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.