Nvidia sucks

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i wiped my HDD. stuck my TI4200 128meg by MSI in.

installed my drivers blah blah and lastly installed 41.09 nvidia drivers.

tweaked things up with Riva Tuner (im not settling for low texture quality cause i KNOW nvidia drivers lower it by default) for max IQ, enabled a few features that should speed things up etc.....

system is pretty much running clean and fast.

got a 3dmark of 10100 with the card running at 250/250(500). itll go to 295/575 or something ,but eh i just blew a card by overclocking so fvck that for a while

pretty happy. not a bad score for a 170$ canadian video card.

then i play some games.

image quality = FVCKING SHITTY
frame rate = no better than my 8500le
stability = crashes in my favorite games like Anarchy Online

this card, quite frankly is a P.O.S. the only way it surpasses my 8500le is in First Person Shooter games like Quake3, UT2k3 etc .

once you run a non standard game engine, like Anarchy Online for example which has very large landscapes and runs much differently, this card doenst perform. in AO with my 8500le i got 70FPS minimum @ 1024x32 with W-Buffer on for less image popping, and 8x AF. with little things like ColorFill enabled (ATI feature, color saturation) the picture was clear beatiful and crisp

TI4200 @1024x32 16bzbuffer and no AF AO runs and looks like shi!t. MipMap transitions are hard and uneven.

i tried the newest drivers, and others. about 5 differnet driver versions. all the same. and i KNOW how to set up a computer for gaming. im not the best , but i have been doing it for a few years now so i know im better than the average person.

IMHO Nvidia ONLY diesnt suck when game engines are tailer made for it, like UT2003.
in the real world of gaming tho, they are TEH SUCK.
this TI4200 is worth less than my 8500le. im so pissed

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Let's have a look at the rivatuner settings. First off, can you disable rivatuner and just try games like that, let's check stability and frame rates with that.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Ok so nvidia cards suck on non-standard game engines. It's just so very convenient to broaden that statement in the title. :tongue:

I've owned a Leadtek G4Ti4200 64mb for about a year now and I've had virtually NO problems with it. I am an avid gamer and have played many standard and non-standard games with solid stability.

Of course this isn't keeping me from getting a 9800pro in 2 months. :)

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Like I've said a thousand times, this forum is 99% Ati fanboys, and here he'll just blame NV instead of looking at how rivatuner may have interacted with the drivers and what versions and all are necessary.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Hate to disagree but...my Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 128Mb is rock solid with all games. If I had the cash I'd probably get a 9700 Pro but for now this card is perfect. Maybee the problems liew between your chair and your keyboard?

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

simwiz2

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
I bet if someone was having similar issues with an ATi card, and made a similar post, they would get flamed.

But of course, if for some reason a Ti4200 crashes in some games, it must be because all of nVidia's products are worthless pieces of crap, right?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
of course i tried games before installing riva tuner

i noticed that the textures were hella blurry , so i adjusted it

sure you TI4600 may be rock solid. but ill bet you 100 bucks that if the picture quality is [-peep-]. i probably wouldnt know the difference if i didnt have an ATI card before hand

i may be flaming Nvidia in favor of ATI, but if i have very good reason why not? if fixed the stability problem by turning off fast writes (which i shouldnt have to do) but still, the extra 30fps isnt worth the shitty , dull picture. and if i could turn the texture resolution down enough on my 8500le ( i dont even thing theres an option to fo that low. "Performance" settings still look sharper imho) i bet it would be jsut as fast.

sorry guys! but i dont care what you say! i have evidence here before me

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Phial;

It sounds like to me you just bought a POS ti4200, how can i say this?
Well because my Asus v9280S kicks ass, it will run any game out there flawlessly, with excellent 3D image quality, even without turning on all the toys, like texture sharpening, Anti-aliasing or anistropic filtering. Its your card man, you didnt buy an Asus! Its not the GPU's fault its the card manufactures fault.

XeeN

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
what MSI did on this card : PCB, wiring, cooling

Nvidia still made the GPU, and im using WHQL drivers from Nvidias site

there should be no difference in screen output between card manufacterers. only differnece would be ram quality (speed)

-------

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
The company that manufactured the card has everything to do with it, the quality of the PCB, components, and design, are what determine the quality, and performance of the product, there is no question about it.

XeeN

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Agree with you there xeen.
Ladies and gentlemen, in this thread we have a standard specimen of what we call an Ati Fanboy. It will do everything to slander Ati's competition, even refuse to fix problems and make up imaginary things because of this. For info on how to get rid of such problems, call 1800-Terminex.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
They can also add different RAMDAC's Phial.

I also like ATIs ColorFill feature, and think it makes games look MUCH better. HOWEVER!!! Nvidia cards can achieve a very similar affect with their DIGITAL VIBRANCE feature. With my old TI4400, I used to keep digital vibrance on low. Had an effect much like ColorFill.

I never had any problems with my TI4400, and although the image quality (not including things like AA/aniso) wasnt up to par with my 9800 Pro, it sure wasnt that bad!

It was a great card. (visiontek).

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
hmmm yes i didnt consider the ramdac

i did notice when i switch windows quickly i can see the whole image "tear" from bottom left to top right... thats probably the ramdac eh?

ok im a fanboy.

but this was supposed to be somewhat of an upgrade from my last card. but it doenst perform like it. and im not impressed wiht it. anyone who knew less and didnt mess around wiht the settings would have it off even worse and i dont see how they could be happy with this if they had owned an 8500le previously as well. NOT impressed with it!

i thought MSI was a good company?

-------

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
Sounds to me like you messed something up when you were tweaking Rivatuner to get a high score. Just because you get a high score doesnt meen when you play games it is at top performance for that game. I would put Rivatuner back at default settings and try again. Then again it could be a cheap card as others stated, it does make a difference.
You shouldnt have any problems with that card, there must be something overlooked. One more note did you clean existing drivers after installing another set.
Hope you getting going. Good luck.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 2700
512 MB Corsair Twinx
MSI Ti4600 8X
3DMARK2001SE 14654

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
I just noticed that your card is a MSI card. I have a MSI and it rocks. (check out my score) So I dont think it is because it is a cheap card as I stated in my previous post.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 2700
512 MB Corsair Twinx
MSI Ti4600 8X
3DMARK2001SE 14654

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, well, if you said it a thousand times, at a rate of 3 times a day, you'd be wrong. This forum has only been behind ATI for around 9 months now. Before that it was 99% nVidiots. The release and acceptance of the 9700 Pro is what changed it.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
O man, you went all l337xx0r on my ass and h4x0red me up with your l337 "stfu", I'm gonna go cry to my mommy now. Dude, not my fault your an unintelligent twat who apparently can't get a card working for sh!t. Seriously, how can you argue about a company when you can't even get their product working. Furthermore, why doesn't this image tearing/ bad quality occur on my quadro dcc and friend's geforce 3's? And before you waste more bandwith, yes I have looked at Ati system and played on them so I have their image quality to compare. Real big improvement there corky, what's your next upgrade going to be, a Ti4400? The reason you don't notice a super increase in fps is because the upgrade is not big going R8500-> Ti4400.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
What ticks me off Crash is that now with their newfound Ati master, they even bash good cards because they're so bias.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
The only complaint I have about my Ti4200, in comparison to the 9500Pro I just burned up recently is, that my Ti4200 has some noticable mipmap banding(you can see area's where the texture filtering suddenly changes in the distance, and then changes again) nVIDIA has a setting in their drivers to increase the mipmap quality, but I need to keep it in 'balanced' mode to feed my framerate addiction. nVIDIA's Digital Vibrance control is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and is a feature that I didnt even know existed. My UT03 maps look so alive and colorful now compared to when I had an ATi card. I had the exact oppisite reaction that Phial did with my new nVIDIA card, and I'm a little puzzeled by it. My games are playing really sweet, and this card was only $80 bucks(as I've repeated many times now)
I think going from one brand of card, to another suddenly has taught me to appreciate what both have to offer. It was a painful mistake for me, but I'm kinda having fun discovering the different things that both manufacterers excell in. My games are all that matters.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
MSI is a good company............. not as good as ASUS in my opinion but it's pretty awesome~~

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if i had the money and if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Sounds to me like you messed something up when you were tweaking Rivatuner to get a high score. Just because you get a high score doesnt meen when you play games it is at top performance for that game.

i said i turned the quality up , not down, which would actually lower my score. i wasnt trying to get a higer score. and i really dont care about it. i just use it as a reference.

-------

TRENDING THREADS