Nvidia supporting freesync now, wuhhhhhh

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I think right now it's limited to a few specific models.

As a gsync monitor buyer I'm not salty, I'm actually really excited about this.

WildCard999

Titan

I don't think so, they still have good price to performance GPU's. What I'm most interested in is seeing if the Gsync ranges will be the same as the Freesync ranges or a higher range.

price is getting closer and nvidia is usually pulling in less energy and runs cooler. To me, this is a bold move by Nvidia, willing to sacrifice profit on gsync monitors but hopefully getting more sales. Not to mention AMD has nothing comparable to 1080 ti/2080/2080 ti.

WildCard999

Titan

It definitely is a bold move and like you said they own the high range market but I'm hopeful for AMD Navi 7nm, maybe AMD will release some info about it at CES.

current list for g-freesync monitors:
NV-Adaptive-GSync-640x309.jpg

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
From what I’ve read/heard we will be able manually enable G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel on all Freesync monitors but a perfect experience is only guaranteed for the “supported” monitors.

My question is what about HDR. G-Sync HDR is changing to G-Sync Ultimate which is supported by G-Sync monitors that have the special chip built into them. So I guess this means “supported” freesync monitors will be able to use G-Sync but not be able to use G-Sync and HDR at the same time?

G-Sync-Compatible-640x243.png

WildCard999

Titan

It's probably better that HDR goes to Gsync anyways, I have a monitor with HDR and even setting up Windows with it and my games the colors are as vibrant as I'd like, for me I'd take IPS over HDR.

Kratos12

Reputable
May 8, 2015
So does this mean no more budget G-Sync panels like the S2716DG/ Acer XB271HU and G-Sync will be reserved only for high end?

sunkenau

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Would it be acceptable to think monitors within the range of the listed monitors are likely to be supported? The XG248 and XG258 are on the list and I currently have an XG27VQ

castl3bravo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013

I think it's more that Nvidia now recognises AMD is more of a competitive threat needing to offset any perceived advantage in trying AMD over Nvidia. Linus had a good review of what it means.

Regardless I was never a fan of the $200-$250 Nvidia G-Sync tax, so this is great news for the gamer!

Don't forget the $500 GSync HDR module cost. Nobody's going to pay that, and as the market becomes more saturated with HDR, Nvidia will fall behind.

Not to mention Intel dGPUs in 2020 will be FreeSync also.

It was a good run. They made a lot of money on their GSync tax, and successfully vendor locked all the GSync monitor customers into Nvidia GPUs for the remaining life of the monitor.

Skipping-Bear

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

Nope its all freesync monitors if your monitor works well with amd gpu then it will more than likely work well with your nvidia gpu the monitors they mentioned are the ones that nvidia certs that those monitors work as well as gsync i havea free sync monitor thats not on the list of "validated" and it works fine i have a 75hz view sonic vx2257 and it works just fine flawlessly