Nvidia Teases New Titan X Collector's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL you beat me to the punch. Who in the world ever buys a GPU for a collector's item? They depreciate as fast as a typical new car. I can see it with a retail boxed game or Blu-Ray movie collection, but seriously. A GPU? Nvidia needs to fire the marketing geniuses who not only came up with this idea, but approved it.

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
Titan x's deserve equal treatment and affirmative action. It's not just a 1080's world you know.

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
I for one wish I had a time machine so I could take 3 of these into 2020 and sell them for double the price unopened!

After that you ask me why I am not too fond of Nvidia... this kind of stuff.

Also, just general experience, all my problems were with Nvidia cards. The last one was this year with a wonderful EVGA 1080 FTW... the worst GPU I have ever owned!

x573V30

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
With no real competition from AMD (like the good ol' days) NVIDIA is just holding back, milking the sh!t out of old technology playing us consumers for fools..

If you really want to feel the rage, imagine if Vega had been 10% faster, and instead of a collectors edition Titan Nvidia was pushing out consumer Volta cards and Pascal cards on markdown for the holidays.

Diji1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
Nvidia needs to fire the marketing geniuses who not only came up with this idea, but approved it.

Naturally you know better than people being paid to market this after 5 seconds of thought on the subject right.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just to stir the rumor mill, perhaps it's actually based on the GP100, which has existed in Quadro form for some time. I wouldn't expect to see such a product sell for less than $2k, especially given that the Quadro GP100 is selling for $6.5k to $9k or $10k.

That would be pretty special.

DoDidDont

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I've paused though that video, and there are definitely some changes to the cooler going on. Although they have purposefully angled the shots to keep you from seeing the top side of the card...

The Titan series are supposed to be a hybrid between Gaming and professional, a cheap mans Quadro / Tesla, although definitely not cheap!

The Titans XP's main failing is its cooler, especially for pro work. Its just not up to the job.

I have to run Iray / Vray RT for up to 120minutes sometimes with 4 cards, and unlike gaming where the load varies or is distributed using SLI, each GPU's run at a constant 100% until the render completes, so get hot fast.

The only way to keep the cards cool is to have a huge case, lots of fans at high speed, and to ramp up the GPU fans before render to 85%, so get real noisy, if you have 4 dual slot GPU's sandwiched together. Or invest in a mining case with pci-e risers.

The obvious solution is liquid cooling, but the Titan XP currently has no hybrid or water bock solution without voiding the warranty.

So if this isn't the introduction of Volta into the pro / gaming segment, maybe its finally a decent cooling solution, hybrid maybe?

But at this late stage of the year, if it is just a Pascal refresh, I would see this move by NVidia as trying to get rid of surplus stock boards before consumer Volta arrives next year...

Why the angled shots to avoid showing the top side? Could be not to show if the board uses SLI or NVlink connectors which would be a dead give away, or not to show hybrid cooling tubing? Well that's my theory anyway...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

In this case, they're simply distinguishing the frequency of the memory chips from the width (as in the number of data pins) of the interface. This is probably because Nvidia tends to play with both variables, so you need at least two columns to show how the overall throughput increase was achieved.

Increased operating frequency is relevant to overclocking potential, power dissipation, and perhaps the performance of latency-sensitive tasks like Ethereum mining (if we assume the latency stayed constant in # of cycles).

Give it 30 years, and when somebody wants to build a retro machine, it may sell for a fortunate.

Hah. That reminds me of a scene in Back To The Future II which story line took place in 2015. It's the one where Marty went to that antiques store full of '70s-'80s memorabilia and had an "antique" Apple Macintosh computer in the display window. It was where he picked up that sports almanac.

SAME EXACT SPECS as the GTX1080Ti, so... WTF?

Unless it's Volta of course, but that seems pretty unlikely. It sounds like they had a lot of BINNED GPU's or intentionally gimped some so they could add two more skews to compete with VEGA (adding to the recent GTX1070Ti), so now GTX1070, 1070Ti, 1080, 1080Ti, Titan X and Titan Xp).

But calling it a TITAN is completely misleading since again it's the EXACT same specs as the GTX1080Ti but probably SLOWER than some of those cards at times due to thermal throttling.

This card makes no sense.

DoDidDont

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Wow what a disappointment.... Just a new shroud and garish lighting in a Star Wars theme.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Star Wars fan the last 40 years, but what the Titan XP really needed was a Hybrid or water block solution that's not going to void the warranty, seeing as Nvidia wont let this board loose to its 3rd party vendors.

Its cooling solution is useless for HPC, for me that's GPU rendering with Iray / V-ray RT with multiple GPU's.

Again Nvidia not listening to the reviewers and customers, and just trying to move surplus stock from the shelves by taking advantage of the Star Wars hype!

Despite using the word "garish", these cards are still tempting, but not £1,150 tempting, seeing as you can get a 1080Ti here in the UK for around £700.

For an extra 1GB Vram, and 256 Cuda cores, the TXP financially just isn't justifiable even for business users. Yes its cheaper than a high end Quadro / Tesla, and in the past, previous Titans had enough spec like the extra ram to justify the extra £$£$ over the TI for content creators, but the spec margin is too slim now between the two cards to justify an extra £450 per card!

If the Titan XP had a 16GB frame buffer, and Hybrid cooling for that price, NVidia would already have my money, but right now if I were to retire my aging Titans for the Pascal generation, the 1080Ti would be the winner, and I would barely notice the difference in performance or vram...

Status
Not open for further replies.