Nvidia Tegra Microsoft Phone? Maybe, Maybe Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The only way a MS phone wouldn't be a total flop is if it is able to sync with your Xbox and Xbox live account. Otherwise just let this fad go.................

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Apple is a hardware company first. Microsoft is a software company first. It has been this way for decades now and no matter how much they try to blur the lines, you can still clearly see what each company does best.

Also:
Unverified blogging wacko Mary-Jo Foley wrote...

pcolby

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
With Apple having made a splash on the mobile and smartphone industry, it’s nearly expected that Microsoft would eventually jump in at some point for a piece of the pie.

What the? MS has been in mobiles and smartphones for several years now! So that statement kind of undermines the author's authority somewhat.

Paul.

pcolby

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Oh, I see... you're distinguishing between phones "running a MS OS" and phones "manufactured by MS"... I get it now ;)

Paul.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
If microsoft makes a phone, then it will be in direct competition against the tons of manufacturers that already use their mobile OS, which could possibly drive them to use different software such as the Google OS or lisenced palm. With this in mind, it's not likley. Microsoft makes a ton of money in the mobile market as it is.

They dont need to compete with apple, because apple isnt their competition. (Seriously, a single phone on a single exclusive carrier, with a very very exclusive price.)

And I agree with squatchman. You'd be a ton more credible if you left out the 'blogger' source.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]curnel_D[/nom]You'd be a ton more credible if you left out the 'blogger' source.[/citation]
I'm sorry, I do not know whom you are referring to.

If it's about Mary-Jo Foley, she's one of the most dedicated journalists who cover nearly everything to do with Microsoft. Her knowledge and familiarity of the company is almost unmatched.

You might want to check out her book, "Microsoft 2.0: How Microsoft Plans to Stay Relevant in the Post-Gates Era" at your local bookstore -- it's a great read if you'd like to get educated on Microsoft happenings. :)

G

The Tegra looks like a more powerful TI OMAP3, which is a great thing as the OMAP3 has alot of juice and is very power efficient. But every smart phone runs on ARM, microsoft does not have time to fight against the Iphone using evolutionary better hardware. Go big, Atom based smart phone that runs xp/vista. Have nvidia make a very low power chipset and wrap it all up with a 7" touchscreen and slide out kb.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
And when microsoft officially announces her as their in-source journalist, her paramount 'street-cred' will turn into something more substantial in my mind. But her entire article on this topic is based on nothing but rumors and heresy, not company sourced information.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Microsoft needs something innovative and new. Sure they can follow the ideas of other companies like Apple but they're always gonna be 2nd best. I don't know what the next big thing will be, maybe the touch computer stuff they're working on, but the need to release a ground breaking, innovative product. Something that they haven't done in a long time

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Microsoft ... need(s) to release a ground breaking, innovative product. Something that they haven't done in a long time[/citation]
Actually when did this ever happen?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]squatchman[/nom]Apple is a hardware company first.[/citation]
Hardware first? Do explain ? Their ipods always come with old harddrives, their computer systems can only be equipped with old graphics cards .... and I don't really know about many other things they make .... but if they prioritize hardware first, I wonder how they can actually release anything? All apple products are basicly 6 months old the day they go to marked ... they're always underspecced, and they're almost always overpriced.

Microsoft is software first though. You at least got that right. They've probably learnt to stick with what they're reasonably good at, and outsource what they are not.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

The software is just a vehicle to get you to buy the shiny hardware. It's less secure than Windows, and less configurable than Linux. Ask someone for the first thing that pops into their head when they think of Apple and you're going to hear either ipod or macbook as opposed to itunes, safari, or OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.