Nvidia Tegra Note 7 Receives Major Update to Android 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

well this device is budget tablet to begin with. also the OS is pretty much stock so 1GB should be plenty. other than low res and ram this device perform real well. at this price range there is no other tablet can beat TN7 in term of performance

InvalidError

Titan

Well, the Tegra Note is a ~$200 tablet and it does have an SD slot and pen input which the N7v2 lacks. I would say that puts it roughly on par.

This is the sort of sacrifice that has to be made when you want to hit a specific price point and still make some profit out of it. The ~$5 extra to put 2GB RAM instead of 1GB would have pushed the retail price over the magical $199.99 psychological threshold, considerably reducing its impulse-buy appeal.

That said, I agree that 2GB would have made it a much more future-proof option.

Robbie Fairhurst

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
@renz496. Totally agree I have both the old nexus an the TN7. Bar the screen resolution its put every tablet to shame. If it had even a 720p screen it would compete pound for pound with the best. The quality build of the TN7 makes you wonder how they make money. The ram is not an issue never will be because it never gets used. Just the screen and at a push better quality speakers. You're a fool if you think other tablets the TN7 coz where it lacks in resolution it makes up with pure smooth power and at ££89.99-£99.99 you're the fool that pays double for a bit of paper saying slightly higher spec. I'd love a 10.1" version happily pay double even with the same spec just higher resolution

Tinari D

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
@Robbie Fairhurst. This tablet has a 1280x800 display. 720p is 1280x720. This tablet has a -higher resolution- that what you claimed it needed to compete pound fo pound with the best. So does that mean that this tablet does then compete pound for pound with the best? I can't understand everyone's absolute fascination with super high pixel densities but it still seems like some people misuse resolution terms or don't quite fully understand things properly (such as the fact 1080p can also be called 2K, and 4K is just 2160p)

Not trying to come off rude, my apologies if I did.

InvalidError

Titan

The 200ish PPI on the N7v1/TN7 looks mostly ok but the 300ish PPI on the N7v2 does look better - particularly in 3D games where edge aliasing becomes considerably less distracting since individual pixels are 2.25X as small. The difference on text is not quite as obvious since font anti-aliasing already softens font edges quite a bit but still makes reading a little more pleasant.

I'm generally not a fan of crazy high resolutions on small screens but 1200p at 7" does have enough benefits to be worth considering and would become a must in my book on a 8" device.

Tinari D

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

I won't argue a person's desire on what they want. I was merely pointing out that he said "at least 720p" about a screen that, albeit slightly, exceeds 720p.

You say you are not a "fan" of "crazy high resolutions on a small screen" but want 1200p on 7". I won't argue the benefits but I can't fathom that since we've been using, for a long time, much larger displays at lower resolutions for a huge sum of time, with the advent of "1080p+" small displays being something new. Hearing people say "must have" is baffling as it's like saying blue-tooth in your car is a "must have" when it's neat, but a relatively new feature.

For reference, I use two 27" 1080p displays at home with the desktop resolution set to 1680x1050. It just baffles me people claim to "must-have" higher resolution on displays that aren't even a full third the size of what I deliberately run at lower resolution(which has it's own "problems")

I'm trying to understand it but every time you see a review of a phone or tablet and you run across comments saying "1080p is minimum" it literally causes me to stop, rub my chin, think for a few, and just wonder what kind of people these are. :|

InvalidError

Titan

I sit at around 3' from my 24' 1200p display when I have my glasses on. On the other hand, I'm often holding my N7 at about 1' when I do bed-reading without my glasses on. When I "sit" at 1/3rd the distance, I need 3X the pixel pitch to have equivalent resolution across my field of view so 1200p on a 7" screen simply makes it proportionally equivalent to what I have on my desktop... text on the N7v1's 800p screen does look somewhat grainy at that distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.