Nvidia Titan RTX Review: Gaming, Training, Inferencing, Pro Viz, Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
This is a horrible video card for gaming at this price point but when you paint this card in the light of workstation graphics, the price starts to become more understandable.
Nvidia should have given this a Quadro designation so that there is no confusion what this thing is meant for.

bloodroses

Distinguished

True, but the 'Titan' designation was more so designated for super computing, not gaming. They just happen to game well. Quadro is designed for CAD uses, with ECC VRAM and driver support being the big difference over a Titan. There is quite a bit of crossover that does happen each generation though, to where you can sometimes 'hack' a Quadro driver onto a Titan

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/a2vxb9/differences_between_the_titan_rtx_and_quadro_rtx/

Jan 28, 2019
Is it possible to put more training benchmarks? Especially for Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN). There are many forecasting models for weather, stock market etc. And they usually fit in less than 4GB of vram.

Inference is less important, because a model could be deployed on a machine without a GPU or even an embedded device.

Would not buy it at half of it's cost either, so...
:)

The Tom's summary sounds like Nviidia payed for their trip to Bangkok and gave them 4 cards to review....plus gave $4k 'expense money' :)

alextheblue

Distinguished
So the Titan RTX has roughly half the FP64 performance of the Vega VII. The same Vega VII that Tom's had a news article (that was NEVER CORRECTED) that bashed it for "shipping without double precision" and then later erroneously listed the FP64 rate at half the actual rate? Nice to know.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-vii-double-precision-disabled,38437.html

There's a link to the bad news article, for posterity.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...finally the 11/12 GB VRAM barrier is broken in outside the Quadro line. This is important for rendering large resolution high quality images. Yes 2,500$ is still a lot of scratch however having roughly the same resources of the Quadro RTX6000 for less than half the cost (500$ less than the Titan-V with half the VRAM) is a major benefit for the serious graphics enthusiast and content developer.

Speed is dependent on keeping the workload in VRAM.

However my one concern is why wasn't there a benchmark for using Out Of Core memory in the Octane test which would have prevented the crashes on the Titan V and Titan Xp?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

Anything in particular you'd like to see?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

The OctaneRender test was using out-of-core memory. My understanding is that the problem happens when those two cards rely too heavily on out-of-core memory, after running out of on-board HBM2/GDDR5X, which is set aside for that purpose, overrunning and causing a failure. Successful runs on all cards meant using a less aggressive scene.

tyr_antilles

Prominent
May 25, 2018
Nice article, but I was looking at the power consumption section and I really miss the comparison with other boards power draw. I think it was a lot better the old graph where you could see several cards power consumption at a glance and think better about efficiency. Please bring back the power consumption comparison.

Huh... RVII makes so much sense now after seeing this...

You can buy two, put them in CF and annihilate any compute prowess of this card.

The worst is a single RVII is faster for compute than this card... hence the price tag of 2400$, and no HBM2.

drmaddogs2

Prominent
Jan 30, 2019
The Octane render test is not adequate in description as to the RTX 2080ti and Titan RTX... different UIs make a difference as to Octane plugins and as to standalone Octane and Plugin the file size restraints for both Render programs are not being applied evenly.
I refuse to believe Titan versus 2080Tis would show such a discrepancy/difference extreme as in your chart... >< 1 minute versus 4 minutes. Perhaps there is a miss on the enabling between the two cards as to using some Vulkin Api application on the Titan and not 2080Ti but 4xs difference is impossible unless file size outstrips the 2080Ti vram capacity and both cards are not using the new kernel system- Vulkin'.

sharkpoonstock

Prominent
Aug 4, 2019
I'm sure this card will be worth it to somebody out there.....somewhere...
Yeah, a couple thousand people, & me that is going to have it in a m-itx cube case, and yeah it fits & even include a optical drive. midi towers is so pointless its silly even without the trend with having no optical reader or soundcard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS