Nvidia Titan Xp 12GB Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

With this card Nvidia completed the current generation of their graphic chips. They are onto new one...the best company out there.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I was thinking something similar while I was reading this. The Titan Xp represents the very furthest that the Pascal architecture can go. This current crop of cards from the 1050 to the Titan Xp will carry us to Volta's launch.

(wait, isn't there a card even smaller than the 1050? /shrug)

Edit: Why isn't this quote working?
Edit2: Figured it out =)

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
"The Titan Xp represents the very furthest that the Pascal architecture can go. This current crop of cards from the 1050 to the Titan Xp will carry us to Volta's launch."
I have to agree. Even though I don't like them as a company due to some of their business practices, I have to give them credit for being a stylish company that really pushes it and completes their line-ups - I like things to be *complete*... :)

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
(wait, isn't there a card even smaller than the 1050? /shrug)

I believe you are talking about the 1030. This isn't really a gaming card however, it's more geared for e-sports streaming and HTPC type builds.

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
$500 for a measly increase over the Ti. Add another $200 premium that Gsync screens cost over Freesync ones, and you've happily payed +- $700 Nvidia tax for the "New coolest kid on the block" title.

Yeaaaa. Thanks, but no thanks!

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

You know if someone handed you a Titan Xp you would stick it right in your box without a second though.

Yes. That's the one.
I mentioned it to illustrate that nVidia has a very wide portfolio with something for everyone. Pascal has been a terrific generation for nVidia.

artk2219

Distinguished

If someone handed me one, I would sell the crap out of it and get something else. Id much rather have someone pay me a bloated price and then use that money for something more reasonable. Heck that's exactly what I did when i sent in a GTX 580 to PNY and they sent me a 780. The 780 was neat at the time, but I much preferred the cash and a more reasonable card.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Complete waste for just gaming applications, unless you just want the bragging rights of owning one or two...

BUT at the same time advertising yourself as being a bit thick-brained in the decision making process, concerning the negligible-performance gains for the cost.

NOTE: Great review as always!

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVjONzm3ceI These are the FE's being pounded against each other here in this comparo and the one you show.

The Aorus and the Zotac AMP! (perhaps the two fastest Ti's avail in the U.S. unless I'm mistaken) would pull away even further with just stock boost-clock(s), depending on title and rig setup etc.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I don't think someone who would buy this would care about $200 premium for gsync in fact they would probably be picking up two lol wish I had that kind of dough to drop on something like this.

Yea I have to agree Pascal has been an awesome generation. Every card leapfrogged it's previous generation counterpart and I think Nvidia doesn't receive enough credit for this. They could have just made each card only perform 10% better and said here you go and still made sales but they didn't they gave us a wide variety to choose where we wanted to be. I mean I got a 1070 that beats out last gens 980ti for $382.00 a $800 card I mean come on you can't ask for more then that. I feel like AMD is taking forever to release Vega that by time they do Nvidia is going to be releasing Volta right next to it. I mean the 1070 is sitting on top of all of the AMD GPU s for what over a year now come on AMD we need some competition. If some one wants to hand me one I can vacate a slot for it ??

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...as a 3D artist, still not worth the extra 500$ over a 1080 Ti. Great if your hobby is doing say climate, geologic, demographic, oceanographic modelling or deep learning for AI research.

There needs to be more to entice CG enthusiasts and gamers to shell out an extra 71% in price than unlocking 2 more Stream processors, having 8 more ROPs, 3 MHz higher boost speed, 50 MHz higher memory clock rate, 256 additional Cores/shader units, and the extra 1 GB of VRAM over the 1080 TI (which shares the same processor at teh Titan XP, the GP 102).

If it had HBM2 instead of DDR5X (offering a smaller form factor), or 24 GB of VRAM, that might be one reason to make some feel the price difference is worth it. As it stands now that extra 500$ is pretty much just for bragging rights.

Antonio_34

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well, from not being a massive fan of Nvidia's marketing or pricing structure, I really hope that all the Nvidia fanboys go out and buy this one as I believe the complete waste in money would really be worth it to solidify their position of owning the best gpu on the market.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I don't think that anyone disagrees with you about the absurdly high cost of the Titan Xp. I wouldn't bash nVidia for offering the Titan Xp though. They're not trying to shove it down our throats. They only produce a handful of these things because they know only a handful of special people will ever buy them.

Antonio_34

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

I get Nvidia makes great cards, but honestly the Titan exists for one reason, and that's so Nvidia can charge premium prices for mid level hardware. Every time I look at the current offerings all I see is a marketing scam. I can understand why too, since they don't have competition, but why fund such a scummy and greedy company?

In the good old days you had a cheap card, a medium prices card, and a more expensive card. That's it, there was no golden crown on top that blew the build budget out the window leaving room to inflate the price of mid level graphics cards.

Today, at Nvidia, the mid level cards are priced at the cost of high end cards and low end cards are called mid level. It's a total farce.

If we took today's cards and line them up with historic hierarchies, this is what we have.
Low End-----|---- Mid Level----| High end
1060----------| ---1070/80-------| Titan
$100-200 ----| ----$200-400 ---| $400-700

Since the titan was introduced and the shuffle of the hierarchy
Low End---- |---- Mid Level---| High end
1060--------- | -----1070/80----| Titan
200-400 -----| -----400-800 ---| fantastic 1200

Kind of ignoring the 1030 and 1050/1050ti there. And honestly, in the good old days, there was the card that could just barely get games to load, the card that could achieve playable frame rates, and the card that let you max everything out for around 2 months before some new more demanding game came around. Not to mention that assumed everyone was running basically the same resolution, whereas now it could be anything from 720p on up to 4k with over 8x as many pixels.

Antonio_34

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

I agree to what you're saying, but your comments only support what i'm talking about. So since Nvidia is ahead of the curve, lets assume that the extreemly affordable 4k is the target resolution, and 4k is 100% the target right now as it costs you less than $400 to achieve for a display. Any kid moving out of the house, Today, is going to go out and buy them selves a 4k TV, and as soon as that happens every houshold in america will have a 4k dislay at their disposal because parents won't have kids with better hardware. Within the next 1-3 years everyhing is 4k. so 1080 or lower is completely out of the question when considering todays hierarchi in GPU performance considering that you can buy a 4k display for $350 at walmart today.

So we have the 1030 and 1050 that don't do suqate for 4k (office) we have the 1060 that almost does 4k (low end - right now, due to how nvidia us running an old jack up architecture, it's decent at running dx11 games at 2k/4k. It's nearfly a perfect transition card. ) With any dx12 game the 1060 falters and you need to get a 1070 ro 1080 (mis level - really a perfect transition card). If you want to future proof your prucahse, you need a titan/1080ti/XP (high end) which does a great job at 4k res.

This is what's happening...Nvidia is waving around a $1200+ videocard just so the can tell you to pay $700 bucks + for mid level hardware.

We used to buy two high end video cards for $800 - $900 and SLI that shiz to get a crazy ass 40-60% performance boost, not a meesly 10% gain now offered for $1200, but oooh nooo. Nividia said, "don't SLI, it's stupid, just give us 50% more money for 10% peformance boost."

Nvidia's marketing team is lieing to you, taking your money, and laughing their faces off as their stocks sky rocket at 40x+ market appraised value.

We better hope to god that AMD offers competition, as this current status que is complete bull shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.