News Nvidia to Further Drop Prices of GeForce RTX 30-Series Boards in Coming Weeks

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Going to need quite a large discount from the "existing price for the none top end cards to be even at MSRP so an even bigger one for them to be worth buying for the value buyer.

I expect to see a discount followed by some "leaks" that say the next generation of cards are going to be expensive and lots of YouTube videos saying buy now!!!

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Going to need quite a large discount from the "existing price for the none top end cards to be even at MSRP so an even bigger one for them to be worth buying for the value buyer.

I expect to see a discount followed by some "leaks" that say the next generation of cards are going to be expensive and lots of YouTube videos saying buy now!!!
Not sure why you would believe the next generation is going to be anything but expensive and hard to find for this year at least. It's a given that scalpers are going to ruin everything in the early going. That's just common sense, not some conspiracy theory. There is no chance of seeing anything below a 4070 released this year, and even that card is unlikely to see wide availability until next year.

Reactions: tom.m

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The discounts on the 3080 and 3090 are tempting. They're still priced too high, and the 12GB of VRAM on the 3080 is a problem. I expect production of the 40-series to be strong, so waiting for a 4080 with 16GB seems like the sweet spot...depending on how greedy Nvidia decides to be with their launch prices.

Reactions: atomicWAR

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
The prices are only high if you believe you can get a 4000 series by Christmas for the same price as a similar 3000, i.e. $800 for a 4080. That's just hard for me to believe.

Reactions: tom.m

InvalidError

Titan
The worst part for current-gen cards when next-gen launches is that between the ~2X performance and ~30% price bumps, you will still be able to get better performance than current-gen while stepping down one pricing tier or two. All of the remaining current-gen stuff will need to get knocked down at least a whole price tier to have a chance of clearing out.

aalkjsdflkj

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Not sure why you would believe the next generation is going to be anything but expensive and hard to find for this year at least. It's a given that scalpers are going to ruin everything in the early going. That's just common sense, not some conspiracy theory. There is no chance of seeing anything below a 4070 released this year, and even that card is unlikely to see wide availability until next year.

Until this past generation I've never had a problem getting any card for MSRP within a few weeks - 2-3 months at most - of launch. I don't buy every generation, but this past generation was an unusual exception. I remember having plenty of different AIB boards to choose from when I bought my 1070, and that was within 2 months of release. The primary reason the scalpers were able to buy up so many cards last time is that there was a massive disconnect between demand and supply. Demand should be lower this time around as long as mining profitability is low, and supply should be better without the chip shortage / COVID / supply chain problems. If NVIDIA really is delaying the release of the 40x0 series because there's an oversupply of 30x0 cards out there, then they'll be increasing the supply of the 40x0 cards by stockpiling them before release and demand will be lower from people buying the discounted 30x0 cards over the next few months. Things could go sideways between now and then, but I think there's a better than 50/50 chance the within 2 months of any card's release you'll be able to find whatever AIB board you want at MSRP.
I agree that it seems unlikely we'll see the mid-range and lower cards later, and the next generation will be expensive. My 1070 cost $450 in 2016, which after adjusting for inflation would be $555 in 2022. I don't think there's much chance we'll see the 4070 as low as $555 when it's released.

Reactions: martinch and tom.m

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Jayztwocents "I've never seen NVIDIA do this before... DON'T WAIT!!! ACT NOW!" video has aged like fine milk. The prices continue to tank further and further. I am not sure but my guess is it will be mid 2023 before you can find a RTX 4080 after scalpers grab em up the first few months or so. That said the price to performance increase plus extra ram makes it hardly worth buying now. Just wait...

Reactions: Phaaze88

tom.m

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I don't know, I have my doubts about a significant further price drop. I decided to go for the 3090 Ti and already saw it jump up a $100 on Amazon. The prices seem to be on the rise (granted it's a slight rise) more than anything.

I think their next try here is the 3080 12G comeback version. They don't want to discount the other SKUs any farther so they're going to introduce a new variant, or re-introduce I guess.

The 4000 series I would also expect to cost a bit more. Though even if it stays at the same price levels as the 3000 series, it still makes a scenario where it's logical to buy now.

The 3090 Ti right now very likely will cost the same as a 4080 and offer up the same, if not slightly better performance. They don't want to put out the 4080 in a few months and have a bunch of angry people with a 3090 Ti saying "never again on your discount trickery." Then they'll never be able to sell over stock in the future again for a reasonable price. They will then need to make stupid steep discounts that everyone is hoping for here.

Of course a 4090 and 4090 Ti will outperform a 3090 Ti. It should AND it's going to cost more like it should.

So the way I saw it was (and a lot of this is based on leaks/rumors of course) that you put in $1200 you get $1200 worth of GPU power now and for the next 6 months or so when they have the 4000 series out. So you choose - 4080 or 3090 Ti. No difference (except maybe the transients!). Or you go and pay what everyone else did months ago - $2100 or so for a 4090 Ti.

It's wise for them to eliminate the "when's the best time to buy?" question from the table.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
I am not sure but my guess is it will be mid 2023 before you can find a RTX 4080 after scalpers grab em up the first few months or so.
That largely depends on whether the profitability bump from next-gen is enough to make cryto-bros buy everything available either due to Ethereum PoS getting delayed yet again or the PoW market coalescing around something else just in time.

Actual gamers don't want to pay much beyond MSRP for GPUs or simply think GPU prices have gone way too damn high. Without crypto to gobble up most GPUs no matter the price so scalpers can capitalize on leftovers, scalpers will probably be worried about their growing unsold GPU piles from too many GPUs getting to market and the rapidly diminishing margins they are able to get within weeks from launch. My bet is that it won't look much different from a normal launch where next-gen stuff is scarce for much of the first 2-3 months.

This late into the year, next-gen availability would already be guaranteed to be spotty for most of the remainder of 2022 after the initial wave. Also keep in mind that TSMC refused to lower Nvidia's crypto-boom-scale wafer allocation when Nvidia tried to cancel orders. Unless Nvidia found someone else to pick up its slack, it will have many excess GPU dies early.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
OP

isn't there a price drop thread just a few days ago?

anyway, all I can say is good news then. If the prices drop enough... then by Nov or Dec, instead of buying a 4k monitor.. I would be buying a 3060 instead.

Reactions: martinch

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Okay well a 3080 12GB is still 1200 dollars in Canada. Wake me when its 799.
800€ or $ for a 3080? Very funny.

800€ for a 3090 and maybe I will think about buying a 3080 at a much lower discounted price.

With Covid, Inflation, Ukraine, Landlord insanity and expensive as heck components, nobody has even an ounce of desire to spend 800€ on a useless overpriced old gen inefficient GPU.

Maybe Nvidia and the rest of the 1% haven't heard the screams, death and poverty rates right now.

You can only squeze society so much and I hope this bites Nvidia deeply in the bottom.
45% down in Qx? Good, let's hope they'll see another red fiscal calendar frame.

Besides what has the new gen to offer?
The jump from <= 1000 series to >= 2000 series was worth it sorely due to DLSS, the greatest technological addition Nvidia has ever brought forward. But that's about it.
(Again, we are talking about almost 1000 euros/dollars, this is not a sunday charity spending spree).

Raytracing is neat but with such an FPS drop it's just not worth it. Additionally, lots of games are missing Raytracing.

Games like Minecraft, for most of the past years, had PTGI Shaders which aren't even using the Raytracing capabilities or Tensor Cores of modern cards.

The only reason right now for someone to upgrade <=1000 series cards is genuinely only for DLSS and a certain performance boost depending on the context (*Remember not everyone is going to upgrade from, say, a 1060 to a 3090 or 2080, realistically more in the mid tier range, so the performance gain will be lower at which point people who play regular demanding games without TripleA expectations won't see the worth of an upgrade).

Last edited:

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I can wait.

Reactions: Kzukowski1988
Jun 23, 2022

800€ for a 3090 and maybe I will think about buying a 3080 at a much lower discounted price.

With Covid, Inflation, Ukraine, Landlord insanity and expensive as heck components, nobody has even an ounce of desire to spend 800€ on a useless overpriced old gen inefficient GPU.

Maybe Nvidia and the rest of the 1% haven't heard the screams, death and poverty rates right now.

You can only squeze society so much and I hope this bites Nvidia deeply in the bottom.

The jump from <= 1000 series to >= 2000 series was worth it sorely due to DLSS, the greatest technological addition Nvidia has ever brought forward. But that's about it.
(Again, we are talking about almost 1000 euros/dollars, this is not a sunday charity spending spree).

Raytracing is neat but with such an FPS drop it's just not worth it. Additionally, lots of games are missing Raytracing.

Games like Minecraft, for most of the past years, had PTGI Shaders which aren't even using the Raytracing capabilities or Tensor Cores of modern cards.

The only reason right now for someone to upgrade <=1000 series cards is genuinely only for DLSS and a certain performance boost depending on the context (*Remember not everyone is going to upgrade from, say, a 1060 to a 3090 or 2080, realistically more in the mid tier range, so the performance gain will be lower at which point people who play regular demanding games without TripleA expectations won't see the worth of an upgrade).

In my case it could be a 4x increase if I get a 4070/80 since I have a gtx970 lol. Of course the pricing has to be right and I need a good amount of vram because I only build a new pc every 5-6 years for peace of mind. I will never pay for scalping prices so I'll probably have to wait a month or two post launch.

I think they were referring to Canadian dollars, in which case $800 CAD currently works out to around $620 USD. And considering a 3090 is only around 10-15% faster than a 3080, a theoretical 3080 for $620 would probably be considered the better deal, unless one absolutely needs the extra VRAM for something.

DLSS is a decent addition, at least now that it's been improved substantially and is no longer a blurry mess like it was near launch, but other upscaling routines have improved as well to the point where the results can come reasonably close, like with AMD's FSR 2.0 and Unreal Engine 5's TSR, both of which should work on GTX 10-series cards.

As for raytracing, while the performance hit can be rather large, depending on which effects get raytraced, it could still be a reasonable option for slower-paced games, where one might not mind getting around 60fps in place of 100+fps, for example. And these newer upscaling techniques like DLSS and the others can help regain some of that performance, often with minimal reduction to quality.

I will buy 4070Ti + 16core CPU + DDR5 16GB for 1700Eur. That is maximum I can spend.
It seems like that could be better balanced, unless you absolutely need a 16-core processor for some particular workload. If it's for gaming, that many cores may not provide much benefit for a long time, and could end up sitting around unused. I would expect games to utilize more than 16GB of RAM before heavily utilizing more than 8 processor cores with SMT.

And at least in the short-term, the benefits of DDR5 are not there for gaming due to its higher latency countering its higher transfer speeds, with DDR4-3600 performing close to DDR5-6000 at a fraction of the cost, with the lower-end kits of DDR5 performing worse in games. So I would take 32GB of DDR4-3600 over 16GB of DDR5, at least until the price of DDR5 comes down enough to make it more viable. I suppose we'll have to see if AMD's new CPUs make a better case for DDR5, but I imagine that requirement might end up making Intel's processors a better option as far as getting the most gaming performance for the money goes.

And we don't really known how the 40-series graphics cards will perform yet, so it's probably better to determine that before arbitrarily deciding on a potential card based on a model number alone.

CUT OF JIB

I think they were referring to Canadian dollars, in which case $800 CAD currently works out to around $620 USD. And considering a 3090 is only around 10-15% faster than a 3080, a theoretical 3080 for $620 would probably be considered the better deal, unless one absolutely needs the extra VRAM for something.

DLSS is a decent addition, at least now that it's been improved substantially and is no longer a blurry mess like it was near launch, but other upscaling routines have improved as well to the point where the results can come reasonably close, like with AMD's FSR 2.0 and Unreal Engine 5's TSR, both of which should work on GTX 10-series cards.

As for raytracing, while the performance hit can be rather large, depending on which effects get raytraced, it could still be a reasonable option for slower-paced games, where one might not mind getting around 60fps in place of 100+fps, for example. And these newer upscaling techniques like DLSS and the others can help regain some of that performance, often with minimal reduction to quality.

It seems like that could be better balanced, unless you absolutely need a 16-core processor for some particular workload. If it's for gaming, that many cores may not provide much benefit for a long time, and could end up sitting around unused. I would expect games to utilize more than 16GB of RAM before heavily utilizing more than 8 processor cores with SMT.

And at least in the short-term, the benefits of DDR5 are not there for gaming due to its higher latency countering its higher transfer speeds, with DDR4-3600 performing close to DDR5-6000 at a fraction of the cost, with the lower-end kits of DDR5 performing worse in games. So I would take 32GB of DDR4-3600 over 16GB of DDR5, at least until the price of DDR5 comes down enough to make it more viable. I suppose we'll have to see if AMD's new CPUs make a better case for DDR5, but I imagine that requirement might end up making Intel's processors a better option as far as getting the most gaming performance for the money goes.

And we don't really known how the 40-series graphics cards will perform yet, so it's probably better to determine that before arbitrarily deciding on a potential card based on a model number alone.
NAIL, HEAD, ECT

There isn't any money in it.
I'm guessing there will probably be resellers scooping them up at launch, at least for some time. Too many of them saw the profits that could be gained from grabbing 30-series cards at MSRP last time around, and will want to get in on that, even if it doesn't pan out. At the very least, there will probably be some early adopters for them to prey on during the initial months.