News Nvidia to Give Away Hundreds of RTX 4060, 4060 Ti Cards This Summer

Giroro

Splendid
"To celebrate our launch, we’re asking our community to nominate 100 creators for a GeForce RTX 4060 Ti upgrade, plus two GeForce RTX 4060 cards to give away to their community! "

This is influencer marketing, not a real sweepstakes. I don't think normal people are allowed to enter. I think they're just buying adspace by giving cards to big-budget social media brands (who probably already get free cards, so who cares).

The entry instructions don't actually tell you how to enter the sweepstakes:

Entering is easy:

1 Follow our social channels for key prompts and instructions

2 Like/comment/tag/share posts across social

3 Use #RTXOn (or any hashtag that is prompted) across any post throughout summer

4 Be on the lookout for your favorite streamers to join in on the celebration

Last edited:

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
What is this? Nvidia PR weekend edition??

First we have a September 2022 stale article (sightly refreshed, mind you) called:

Nvidia Ada Lovelace and GeForce RTX 40-Series: Everything We Know​

And barely a 1/4 inch below that stale article ....we have this lame giveaway, from, you guessed it, the same company!

Thanks TH for keeping the Nvidia PR machine well oiled and up to date, just in case we might remember their anti-consumer, price-gouging shenanigans.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812

Giroro

Splendid
I still can't find any way for a non-affiliate/influencer to directly enter this contest. The best I can tell it's "do something somewhere on some social media at some point, and hope somebody somewhere gets some kind of entry, or something".
The rules mention entry by mail, but gives no info on how to do that or if it's really an option (a lot of places require this to be an option for the sweepstakes to be legal).

I think there are a bunch of places where Nvidia wouldn't be legally allowed to call this promotion a sweepstakes.

"
2. The prize of this promotion consists of the following: Up to 175 (one hundred seventy five) winners; Each entrant will be allowed one (1) direct entry. The winner of each prize may not substitute the prize for its cash equivalent. NVIDIA reserves the right to substitute any of the prizes with any article or service of similar or greater value at its sole discretion for any reason. Prize(s) may not be assigned or transferred.

Prizes are listed below:

Core Prize Pool

• (x2) GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition ($1599 MSRP)
  • (x2) GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition ($1199 MSRP)
  • (x1) GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Founders Edition ($399 MSRP)
  • (x164) GeForce RTX 4060 (Manufacturer varies) ($299 MSRP)
  • (x3) Custom GPU Backplate (Style Varies) with a RTX 4090 Founders Edition GPU ($1,789 MSRP)
  • (x2) G-SYNC Displays (ASUS 1440p 360 Hz G-SYNC with Reflex displays) ($1,049 MSRP)
  • (x1) GeForce RTX Garage 4090 Build ($7,500 MSRP)
Note: Selected units of items listed above may have been removed from packaging for the purposes of promotional photography to support the promotion. Items then repackaged.

3. To enter this promotion, you must:

• Follow our social channels on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/TikTok/Twitch/Reddit/Discord and other social media platforms based in China for key prompts and instructions
  • Like/comment/tag/share posts across social depending on prompts
  • More prizes may be added as the promotion continues.
All entries, whether online or by mail, must be received no later than between 6:00 AM on May 18th, 2023, Pacific Daylight Time and 5:00 PM on September 20th, 2023, Pacific Daylight Time.
"

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/contests/geforce-summer-rtx-2023-sweepstakes-official-rules/

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
"To celebrate our launch, we’re asking our community to nominate 100 creators for a GeForce RTX 4060 Ti upgrade, plus two GeForce RTX 4060 cards to give away to their community! "

This is influencer marketing, not a real contest. I don't think normal people are allowed to enter. I think they're just buying adspace by giving cards to big-budget social media brands (who probably already get free cards, so who cares).

There isn't any way to actually enter the contest. The entry instructions don't actually tell you how to enter the sweepstakes:

Entering is easy:

1 Follow our social channels for key prompts and instructions

2 Like/comment/tag/share posts across social

3 Use #RTXOn (or any hashtag that is prompted) across any post throughout summer

4 Be on the lookout for your favorite streamers to join in on the celebration

This is the next evolution of these 'sweepstakes'. The instructions aren't laid out here, but will be doled out via 'prompts' on social medias. So now you can't just follow and forget, you have to keep checking.

Hilariously not valid in NY or FL.

Giroro

Splendid
This is the next evolution of these 'sweepstakes'. The instructions aren't laid out here, but will be doled out via 'prompts' on social medias. So now you can't just follow and forget, you have to keep checking.

Hilariously not valid in NY or FL.

Sweepstakes are defined and usually pretty tightly regulated on the state level, in part because they can quickly become gambling. That's why there always a "NO PURCHASE NECESSSARY" and usually the option to mail-in for an entry. Companies don't get to redefine what a sweepstakes is.
It's surprising they would risk the "make it up the rules as we go along" approach, because the main point of the official rules is to keep things legal. One of those legal requirements is usually to disclose how the winners are chosen.
I'm no lawyer, but I would think you could argue that if they don't disclose how to enter, then they haven't disclosed how to win. You could also argue that if the winners are "nominated" or otherwise selected by social media influence then the winners are not random. This would not be a legal sweepstakes in a lot more states than NY or FL (VA for example).
The official rules say the winners will be random, that there are only 175 prizes, and that exactly one of those prizes will be an RTX 4060 Ti (just under $70k total value). But they do say they might add more prizes later.

I'm scratching my head about what exactly they are trying to say with contradictory claims like:

"This year, we’re taking things to an absurd new level with the biggest prize pool GeForce has ever seen: a whopping $150,000 worth of prizes. Prizes include 460 (four-hundred and sixty) GeForce RTX 4060 Ti and 4060 graphics cards, plus G-SYNC displays, a one-of-a-kind PC rig, custom backplates, RTX On keycaps, and more! "
(keycaps not mentioned in official prizes) and then

To me it that last line sounds like social media is going to somehow pick their top 100 mega influencers (presumably from the pool of Nvidia marketing affiliates) who will each receive 3 cards. That's not a sweepstakes.
This is a mess. I just emailed their generic customer service system to see if there is any official way for us non-influencer pleebs to enter.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Sweepstakes are defined and usually pretty tightly regulated on the state level, in part because they can quickly become gambling. That's why there always a "NO PURCHASE NECESSSARY" and usually the option to mail-in for an entry. Companies don't get to redefine what a sweepstakes is.
It's surprising they would risk the "make it up the rules as we go along" approach, because the main point of the official rules is to keep things legal. One of those legal requirements is usually to disclose how the winners are chosen.
I'm no lawyer, but I would think you could argue that if they don't disclose how to enter, then they haven't disclosed how to win. You could also argue that if the winners are "nominated" or otherwise selected by social media influence then the winners are not random. This would not be a legal sweepstakes in a lot more states than NY or FL (VA for example).
The official rules say the winners will be random, that there are only 175 prizes, and that exactly one of those prizes will be an RTX 4060 Ti (just under $70k total value). But they do say they might add more prizes later.

I'm scratching my head about what exactly they are trying to say with contradictory claims like:

"This year, we’re taking things to an absurd new level with the biggest prize pool GeForce has ever seen: a whopping $150,000 worth of prizes. Prizes include 460 (four-hundred and sixty) GeForce RTX 4060 Ti and 4060 graphics cards, plus G-SYNC displays, a one-of-a-kind PC rig, custom backplates, RTX On keycaps, and more! "
(keycaps not mentioned in official prizes) and then

To me it that last line sounds like social media is going to somehow pick their top 100 mega influencers (presumably from the pool of Nvidia marketing affiliates) who will each receive 3 cards. That's not a sweepstakes.
This is a mess. I just emailed their generic customer service system to see if there is any official way for us non-influencer pleebs to enter.
I think it can be both a sweep stakes and have a crowd suggested giveaway to influence types. The 'not being legal' in specific *big* states definitely goes into tip toeing along the lines of what's allowed. But I don't see any serious legal (IANAL) difference between the standard "no purch necessary and here's the entry form" and "no purch necessary...follow us and look for instructions.

I'm sure they think the latter will drive more actual views than just just following to get an extra entry.

Pollopesca

Reputable
Mar 19, 2021
Like/comment/tag/share posts across social depending on prompts.” So, what I’m getting from this is, artificially increase likes and be our free advertising by spreading what we post and... maybe you’ll be entered?

To celebrate our launch, we’re asking our community to nominate 100 creators!Translation: find shills for us. This whole “give away” just looks slimy AF. Nvidia’s marketing department just wants us to do the work for them...

bluey-what-was-that.gif