News Nvidia to Reportedly Triple Output of Compute GPUs in 2024: Up to 2 Million H100s

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonder if they'll cut into their gaming gpu's if they cant get enough otherwise.
As noted in the text, at ~65 chips per wafer, 2 million H100 GPUs would require ~31,000 wafers. That's basically 20% of one month's total output for TSMC — not insignificant, but also not a huge issue. And considering how the RTX 40-series has been selling, I suspect reallocating some of the AD10x wafers to GH100 instead would make a lot of sense.

umeng2002_2

Respectable
Jan 10, 2022
Probably will reduce gaming GPU output. It's basic business practice to strangle supply to keep prices up. Especially when those dies can be used to much higher margin products.

I'm sure nVidia's long-term strategy is to stop making gaming GPUs all together.

They've been burned by tech fads before (crypto mining), and there's always a chance "AI" will burn them too.

Reactions: gg83
I'm sure nVidia's long-term strategy is to stop making gaming GPUs all together.
So long as the base architecture between consumer and enterprise stays the same they won't get out of the gaming GPU industry barring a massive margin shift.
Usually, when there's a profitable business which is no longer core to a company's strategy, they spin it off into a separate company, rather than shut it down. Or, they might sell it, but I'm not really sure who would & could buy it.
Due to IP issues I can't see a viable path to selling, but a restructure certainly is possible.

Reactions: gg83

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
So long as the base architecture between consumer and enterprise stays the same
It's been diverging, I'm pretty sure.

Due to IP issues I can't see a viable path to selling, but a restructure certainly is possible.
Bah, you lack imagination. The parent can certainly extend a license to the shared IP necessary for graphics, probably along with strings attached to restrict the offshoot from turning around and re-entering the core deep learning market.

Anyway, such a move would probably be years down the road, if ever.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Nvidia could at some point leave the consumer GPU market if it's that much profitable to just sell enterprise, who knows. I'm usually into AMD GPUs anyway, but we'd be in bad waters without competition.. specially considering graphics kind of stopped in the PS5 lvl for some time now.

hannibal

Distinguished
Nvidia does not move away form consumer GPU... They just will turn to be the Apple of the GPUs. The more expensive, the more desired option. Nvidia does not need to compete with prices anymore, because they can either sell really expensive AI GPUs or expensive consumer GPUs... It is win, win situation to Nvidia!
If sales go down in consumer parts they can increase AI parts and increase consumer prices to compensate. There are enough (84%) of customers who are willing to buy Nvidia GPU, no matter the cost!

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
If you manage your company in a smart way, you will favor the production of the product that generate the biggest margin
-> increase production of AI-products if the demand is exploding - whatever the (very high) selling-price
-> decrease the production of public-gpu, to make place for the ai-products

Status
Not open for further replies.