Nvidia To Show New 'Mass Effect: Andromeda' Footage At CES Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Oh, so they crap on this game with their gameworks ? i was looking forward to this game but now ...

Nvidia be like: Look, we are proud to present you how good our hardware works on this rigged game, so you`ll buy into our hardware once more each year because we have a very limited lifespan on our GPUs.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

You weren't born an AMD customer. It's a choice you made, and choices have consequences.

is it? doom running vulkan was first shown running with nvidia hardware on nvidia event. does it end up doom in vulkan running terrible on AMD hardware compared to nvidia hardware?

did mirror's edge catalyst (nvidia sponsored) end up using any gameworks effect? we don't know anything yet and you guys already jumping to conclusion.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

He's going on historical context. Whether coincidental or not, game's that have GameWorks have run disproportionally bad on AMD hardware, whereas the opposite hasn't really been the case. Vulkan was built on Mantle, and has been pushed mostly by AMD, yet NVidea hardware still runs Doom fastastic. Fallout 4 on the other hand seems to be a slideshow if you're on AMD, regardless of how high-end your hardware goes.

the thing is we don't even know if the game will use gameworks or not and people already assuming gameworks as part of game just because they partnered with nvidia. to my knowledge any game based on frostbite 3 never use third party graphical effect. i only know frostbite use AMD mantle but that is more alternative rendering API rather than specific effect like AMD tressfx. mirror's edge catalyst was under nvidia banner and there is no gameworks effect inside the game at all. at best the game have 'hyper' setting that is exclusive to pc version.

also just because the game is sponsored by one vendor that it will run terrible on another vendor. you want an example? just look at the division. the game use several nvidia gameworks effect but the game actually running faster on AMD hardware. another nvidia sponsored title, titanfall 2 also running faster on AMD hardware. the opposite could also happen. civ 6 for example despite being sponsored by AMD the game running faster on nvidia hardware. even in DX12 GTX1060 still ahead of AMD RX480.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
There is a huge difference between Vulkan and the Mantle code vs Gameworks, to Mantle/ Vulkan Nvidia has full access to the code, on Gameworks AMD just has to guess how it works, this is why they are always late with driver optimisations ...

But at this point from what i`ve seen on the internet the RX480 is already on par or even better than the GTX 1060.

people complain about gameworks but the truth is gameworks is not the only thing that AMD have no source access. there are some games out there due to their proprietary nature build nvidia and AMD have no access to the game source code at all. for this type of situation both AMD and nvidia have their own tool to deal with the issue. but right now AMD pretty much don't have an excuse about gameworks when nvidia already give public access to some of their gameworks source code save for few things that need nvidia hardware specifically to run.

Paul Basso

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Long ago I have made a decision to stick with Radeon and Steam, I have played all ME and I own ME1 and ME2. It looks like I wont buy ME Andromeda as ME3. I dont like the idea to cope with multiple game distribution platforms, so I stick with one for the best. Imagine how many distribution platform there will be out there if every developer decide to go with his own system, we will have our PC plagued with hundreds of those update programs running in background eating our internet and PC resources.

I am happy with my decision and I will stick with it

termathor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2015
I, too, got super-ennoyed, when they launched ME3, because the platform had switched to EA's origin.
So, I end up, now with Steam, Origin and also Battlenet ...

Sure, it'd be better with only one, but it's really not a problem, resource wise ...

PS: I got a lot more ennoyed, when I saw ME3 ending :)

veldrane2

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I don't see this as a an issue. I currently have an RX 480 with 8 gigs in it because I run several games which already hit the VRAM limit, most notably modded Skyrim.

The FPS difference is null and void since vast majority of the time I end up capping it at 60 anyways otherwise bad crap happens up to and including crashes and games unplayable (as to what kind of crap and details, feel free to google it if curious, answers not hard to find).

So given that anything above 60 FPS is kinda useless and the cost difference between 8 gig video cards from AMD and Nvidia its a no brainer. If need to, maybe 1.5 or 2 years from now I'll buy another AMD card with whatever the up to date GPU with most VRAM will be at that time.

Also the rest of the system does make a difference. Funny a poster above mentioned Fallout 4, not only do I not have any issues with running it at max settings @2k, but just like Skyrim, its modded, so extra VRAM is where its at. 10 or 20 FPS this or that way makes no difference if the game or its mods are completely unplayable due to lack of VRAM, and I sure aint gonna spent the $$ Nvidia wants for 8 gigs.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

While there is a disadvantage gameworks brings to the table, namely pushing effects to a stupid degree, and forcing everyone with older nvidia or just amd hardware to cope with it, making the games run like hell in the process even on nvidias best, fallout has a new low, as it pushed nvidias crap hard at the same time they offloaded shadow rendering to the cpu apposed to the gpu.

nvidia's spaghetti code black box + bethesda's general incompetence = not a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.