Nvidia Unveils New Quadro FX 5800

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Yeah, Thanks for being so thorough about explaining that it is NOT a gaming card. I remember some guy bought a Nvidia Quadro FX 5500 and then wondered why games were a slideshow... $5k down the drain.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
It's sad that the article is so heavily geared toward shutting up the idiot pseudo-prosumer. I'd rather read more about the actual card and let the morons spend 30 seconds on Google to find out the difference between Crysis and CAD.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
@BloodRaven,

I kinda feel for that guy because Nvidia made a Geforce fx 5500 and a Quadro fx 5500.

Proof that the naming scheme does mess people up... but the pricetag should have been the giveaway.

G

I've been rustling cows since 1985. Of course, back then, we didn't have anything like this. Now, I have tons of these. Worth every penny. Party on, dudes!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Pfft. All workstation cards are the same as their consumer counterparts with a few differences in ports, and more RAM. What you're actually paying for is the amount of support for drivers, and the various applications.

You can mod the BIOS of a GeForce card to work with the Drivers for the Quadro card based upon it.

Although it would be interesting to mod the other way, so you'd get a gaming card with 4GB of VRAM.

G

You can definitely game on a quadro. It wouldn't be quite as good as an equivalent GeForce, but it's not bad either. I've used the Quadro FX4600s in the CAD lab at school for gaming. They'll play CoD4 on pretty good settings (mostly limited by the 2ghz DC Xeon) at 1280x1024.

G

If the cards spec's are high enough you should be able to play crysis no problem at all because workstation and gaming cards are the same pretty much except in regards to they make you pay a way higher price and slap the label of workstation on them. anyone who disagrees with the fact that a workstation card can play games if it has the right spec's is full of shiitake mushrooms and doesnt know what they are talking about. flamers flame me all you want. I know what the true facts of the matter are so i dont really care what you think or say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS