News Nvidia Uses Expensive GA106 for Cheap RTX 3050, But What's The Point?

nitts999

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
No offense, but this article needs an editor. I've read it twice and the oddly constructed sentences are unclear and some even seem left out entirely. I'm not sure what the point was or what the big revelation was about using this silicon. Or why it "might be a good thing". Honestly nothing about this article made any sense to me at all.

scottsoapbox

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
This article reads like only half the words got published.

Like this with no lead in:
"It is a question for Nvidia, which it is not inclined to answer publicly."
What is a question? You never say.

It is a confusing mess that makes me wonder if the author was sober when writing it.

InvalidError

Titan
How much of a "waste" it is to use GA106 for the desktop RTX3050 instead of something smaller depends entirely on how many GA106 dies don't make the grade for an RTX3060(Ti). As Samsung's 8nm gets better, it could also be that Nvidia has raised its binning bars.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't think breast implant manufacturers do any binning of their products.

Ok, so that got a near-nose-jet-of-beverage reaction from me.

Nah - some are bigger, some are smaller. Some are firmer, while others are more squishy. Shape can vary quite a bit. Trust me - I have a LOT of hands-on experience!!!

As a fellow professional* in this field, I approve this message.

* or "enthusiast" if you prefer that term...

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Just a small typo and whoops.
Me I don"t prefer the heavy support models.
Lightweight All in ones are not enough performance orientated .
I'll take a balanced set any time.
And I consider myself a well seasoned enthusiast.:oops:

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I'm sure the enthusiast level hardware is great and all, but I really can't settle for anything less than server grade with vendor support for my applications here.
I've personally never experienced anything better than midrange. Hoping to get an upgrade soon. Maybe I will run them in SLI for a fun experience.

Lord_Moonub

Commendable
Nov 25, 2021
100 per cent agree. This was not readable , meaningful English.

QUOTE="nitts999, post: 22573834, member: 2883740"]
No offense, but this article needs an editor. I've read it twice and the oddly constructed sentences are unclear and some even seem left out entirely. I'm not sure what the point was or what the big revelation was about using this silicon. Or why it "might be a good thing". Honestly nothing about this article made any sense to me at all.
[/QUOTE]