News Nvidia Uses Ray Tracing to Recreate Apollo 11 Moon Landing

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This is neat, but it doesn't really sell me on Nvidia's RTX products. Nvidia needs to get into the game production business if they want to highlight cutting-edge, PC-centric features. They need to produce something like the first Crysis for me to see the value in RTX. No more relying upon EA and Zenimax to screw things up.

This is neat, but it doesn't really sell me on Nvidia's RTX products. Nvidia needs to get into the game production business if they want to highlight cutting-edge, PC-centric features. They need to produce something like the first Crysis for me to see the value in RTX. No more relying upon EA and Zenimax to screw things up.

Nvidia decided to recreate the moon landing as a tribute to the 50 year anniversary of the moon landing.

I think it looks incredibly detailed and realistic despite half the screen being empty space (no pun intended).
From what I've read the stars don't show in the space landing pictures due to the incredibly short shutter speed they had to use to reduce glare.

The animations look a bit stiff, but whose to say that wasn't how it really was with those bulky space suits.
I guess Buzz Aldrin would be the person to ask about the mobility of 1969 space suits.

Including aliens, explosions, or a gamma ray burst hitting the Earth would look visually more appealing than 2 guys walking across a powdery white desert in slowmo, but then you couldn't really call it a tribute.

I'm not giving Nvidia an excuse for a lack of content, but you need to start somewhere.
If anything the RTX line is a brilliant proof of concept.

I'm sure Henry Ford got a few sly remarks from the driver/passengers of horse carriages passing by telling him to stop wasting his time.
Henry Ford also didn't build a Huracan on his first try.

TRENDING THREADS