Nvidia Versus ATI? Which is better for Gaming?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Ok i am buying a new Graphics card Pci-E. I have a 6200 LE and i am tired of have settings all on low. I want to have the settings on BF2 at least on med/high on 1024 by 768 (i have small 15 or 16 inch computer).
I can spend $100-$160. ive been looking at geforce 7600 and the ati x850 (i know nothing about Ati cards so if i say something stupid plz excuse me)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062

These seem like theyll do a good job. 1 has 12 pipelines 1 has 16 is this gonna make a difference in gaming? Which is better at gaming nvidia or ATI i heard 1 was better at video editing and the other at gaming.

Any way plz tell me if these are a good buy for the $100-$160 limit. If not plz recommend a better card.

IMO the GF7600GT is the better choice. Sur ethey both win their various games and the X850XT will likely take more games on paper, but the major area where it outperforms is high resolution, which is not your case here (10x7).

Both are good for video editing and gaming nowadays (software has been updated).

In general I'd say the GF7600GT will do more for your for a while longer and while the X850XT has more raw grunt, it won't be as noticeable to you on your settings, not that the GF7600GT is a slouch either.

Had it been the GF7600GS then this would be a harder choice, but IMO the GF7600GT is a clear good choice for your specific case.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I have the x850xt pe, and I was in a similar predicament as you. Its simple though, the x850 has more muscle and the 7600 is slightly more advanced.... namely SM3. My pick is the x850, b/c its at a better price, and does a very good job with the newet games. I can play CS:S with 6x AA and 16x AF and still get 100+ FPS at 1024x768. and around 70FPS on 1280x1024. It handles FEAR, Doom3, FarCry, and all current source engine games well. Haven't tried BF2 yet (don't really plan on it), but I'm sure it would handle it with ease.

Either way, both are great cards for the money, and it is hard to declare a winner. It really comes down to price, brand preference, and the games you play.

The main con with the x850 I should point out, is that it runs really hot on the stock cooler. Given that its thermal limits are high enough to withstand the temps, the fan can get quite loud (I'm already use to it and don't notice) but the card rased my overall system temp too. Definately something to note. I've heard the 7600 runs quieter and cooler.....

BTW, this is not an ATi versus nV recommendation, this is a card recommendation.

Neither wins in all markets. Higher up it's ATi cards that are better, highest it's the nV Quad GF7950GX2 setup, low end it's ATi once again.

But even then there's reasons to get either or for the right price.

BTW, the X8xx series is a generation older than the GF7600 so nV already had a target to aim for with that card, they were never existing together as competing products in their lineups.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I've heard the 7600 runs quieter and cooler.....

GF7600GT actually quite loud, I doubt it's that much quieter if at all, likely louder under normal use (rememebr it's a small high RPM fan).

doesnt matter how loud it is for me i have music going and 4 loud fans already making alot of noise.

So from what it sounds like i should go with either one and take a chance?
i was looking at those cards enforcer but 1 of them doesnt have a Vga output. so i dont think itll work.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
hahahaha....

To OP: Honestly, you can't go wrong with either cards. Like I said, most of the time the x850 will however, out muscle the 7600gt, but the 7600 has some things the x850 doesn't.

Just close your eyes and pick the one of the brand and price you prefer.

P.S.- I am completely happy with my x850 that I purchased only a week or so ago

doesnt matter how loud it is for me i have music going and 4 loud fans already making alot of noise.

Same here, use headphones all the time, but it's for your info and others who may see this thread.

i was looking at those cards enforcer but 1 of them doesnt have a Vga output. so i dont think itll work.

Anything that doesn't have a VGA out has a dongle/adapter to provide VGA, dual DVI is better IMO than DVI+VGA.

Like I said before I recommend the GF7600GT, and that's primarily due to your use pattern, it's your call, but long term I'd stick with the GF7600GT for feature set as well.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

Same here, use headphones all the time, but it's for your info and others who may see this thread.

Anything that doesn't have a VGA out has a dongle/adapter to provide VGA, dual DVI is better IMO than DVI+VGA.

Like I said before I recommend the GF7600GT, and that's primarily due to your use pattern, it's your call, but long term I'd stick with the GF7600GT for feature set as well.

kk i guess ill get the geforce i was gonna get the ATI card being it has more pixelpipelines but if yall say itll have same performance. I kind alike nvidia better cause its easier to understand like geforece 7950x is best in the geforces but for ati they use x(something) makes it alittle harder to understand.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
the ATi 1950XTX uses GDD4 memory while the 7950GX2 or w/e uses GDD3 but the memory interface on the 7950GX2 is 512 compared to ATis 256.

Did you even read the thread?

To OP: I ended up choosing the ATI card based on brand preference and a slightly cheaper price, but like the other guy said, its your call

TRENDING THREADS