Nvidia VRWorks To Bring Virtual Worlds To Life With Physics Based Objects, Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

epiced0101

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
While I'm definately interested in VR (I like being immersed in a game) I'm just not sure I can handle having random jump scares in my face or intense action like falling. The one jump scare (super random) in Bioshock Infinite scared me half to death and that was only in 2d. Maybe put a warning if the game will have moments that will have horror or simulate extreme movement which will feel more intense than in 2d gaming. I think theres a fine line between enjoyable action like flying or free running. And if you do fall to your death in a game you should make the sequence short and give us a game over or quickly respawn.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
While I'm definately interested in VR (I like being immersed in a game) I'm just not sure I can handle having random jump scares in my face or intense action like falling. The one jump scare (super random) in Bioshock Infinite scared me half to death and that was only in 2d. Maybe put a warning if the game will have moments that will have horror or simulate extreme movement which will feel more intense than in 2d gaming. I think theres a fine line between enjoyable action like flying or free running. And if you do fall to your death in a game you should make the sequence short and give us a game over or quickly respawn.
My wife jumped when she was doing the tutorial for the HTC Vive. she said "The room just started moving around and doing stuff!" But she LOVES playing on the Vive. (she doesn't like playing video games) The Vive has been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

On a side note, All of these upgrades they are mentioning for the new GPU series feels mostly software. Question, Will we need the new series for some of these upgrades that do not require an architecture change? (Just bought a 980ti)

Lol, Nvidia plans to make the demo open source but it uses a bunch of technologies that are not open source. It's pretty much like "hey check out how we used our own proprietary tech in this VR demo!".

"Nvidia introduced VRWorks Audio, which leverages the power of Pascal GPU’s to process audio based on the physical environment."

More like something that could have been done on last gen fine but Nvidia needs to sell GPUs. AMD has had this in TrueAudio for years now. It obvious that Nvidia intends to bury us all in Nvidia only gimmicks so that games pretty much only ever work on their cards.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
My wife jumped when she was doing the tutorial for the HTC Vive. she said "The room just started moving around and doing stuff!" But she LOVES playing on the Vive. (she doesn't like playing video games) The Vive has been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

On a side note, All of these upgrades they are mentioning for the new GPU series feels mostly software. Question, Will we need the new series for some of these upgrades that do not require an architecture change? (Just bought a 980ti)

Nvidia's audio stuff is now hardware based like AMD's True Audio. So no your 980Ti wont be able to do all of it.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I don't know of many games that are doing jump scares in VR. That's a pretty well known "no-no" for VR develpment.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
leave it to nvidia to tirelessly poison gaming with gameworks ... now in version 2.0 called vrworks.

if i would have to make a guess i would suspect that vrworks will turn out to magically reduce async compute on amd cards by about 50% and make the cuda-cores equal in that area ... of course that will be a "totally random" effect form all the optimization to make effect x sparkle oh so imperceptively brighter ...

vrworks like gameworks will just hurt performance for anyone using amd cards... and as of course also anyone using nvidias own last-gen cards the second the next generation is out ... to make sure the customer is "motivated" to upgrade.

i just hope at least some of the studios resist nvidias bribes and stay away from that closed source anti-industry, anti-gamer bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.