[SOLVED] nVidia vs AMD (for Twitch Streamer)

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
I am going to upgrade my GPU. I've been looking a lot of the RX 5700 XT. But I have traditionally had nVidia GPUs (most recently a GTX 970) and I'm a little nervous to switch to an AMD GPU. But I also want the best bang for my buck.

Please convince me to either not be afraid and make the jump to AMD, or why I should stay with nVidia.

What do I need to know / prepare for if I do switch over to AMD?

Solution
The 2060 and 2070 offer ray tracing, that's the only real difference. And ray tracing eats FPS when on, how many frames depends on game title.

I have a 2070S, it's a good gpu no doubt. But in hindsight the 5700xt is the better value. It really is.
The 2060 and 2070 offer ray tracing, that's the only real difference. And ray tracing eats FPS when on, how many frames depends on game title.

I have a 2070S, it's a good gpu no doubt. But in hindsight the 5700xt is the better value. It really is.

Solution

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv

My main fear with going AMD is I have heard horror stories about quality control issues and generally being less user friendly. That's the fear I'm trying to get over.

From what I've read, it seems like it's pretty easy to swap nowadays, just uninstall drivers, turn off computer, swap GPU, turn on, install new drivers.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I find AMD's driver GUI to be far more palatable, versus Nvidia's, which looks like it was designed at the end of the 90s.

That said, there are a number of reports regarding the Navi based cards having issues with the drivers. What bits of info I've seen seem to indicate that it's only on the Navi cards (5600 XT, 5700, 5700 XT . . haven't heard regarding the 5500XT), and that some people have issues, and others don't.

Using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely remove all previous drivers first seems to generally minimize problems, but some peoples' experiences differ.

I've heard the general lingering story of ATI/AMD drivers being a problem for years, though, frankly having used ATI/AMD almost exclusively, I've never experienced any of them. However, I do not have a Navi card, and my most recent card for "high end" is a GTX 1080. Well, high end 2 years ago.

But yeah, the basic process is:
  1. Download the latest drivers for your card
  2. Download DDU
  3. Reboot computer to Safe Mode
  4. Run DDU to remove existing drivers (choosing the "uninstall and shut down" option)
  5. When the PC shuts down, replace the card
  6. Boot up, and immediately install the drivers you downloaded in step 1

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv

I also stream on twitch, and have heard some gushing over the Turing architecture in the nVidia cards. Is there a big difference, for a streamer, and does that make the value higher?

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
My main fear with going AMD is I have heard horror stories about quality control issues and generally being less user friendly. That's the fear I'm trying to get over.

From what I've read, it seems like it's pretty easy to swap nowadays, just uninstall drivers, turn off computer, swap GPU, turn on, install new drivers.
The chances of getting a doa card is low. Also sapphire has great customer support and return policy. All the cards mentioned will work fine for streaming depending on the games. I don't stream regularly but have in the past a few times.

You seems to not want to get a Amd Card but it's the better bang for the buck from the pricing near me but I don't know what the pricing near you is like!

Personally I mostly only use amd and have never had any card issues! Personally I prefer the Amd setting panel over nvidias.

I also stream on twitch, and have heard some gushing over the Turing architecture in the nVidia cards. Is there a big difference, for a streamer, and does that make the value higher?
AFAIK AMD GPU still does not have encoding hardware that is as good to what nvidia has been offering with their Turing Nvenc. so most often comparison are made with cpu based encoding vs nvidia turing nvenc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUU5suAXv8w