NVIDIA vs Radeon graphics

9nanners

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
They are pretty similar performance wise, almost identical really. The GT 635 pulls less power, and the 8570 has more ram.
I'd go with the 8570 just because of the ram, if the GT635 runs out, it'll start thrashing memory and it's performance will go out the window.

9nanners

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

I see, the thing is I'm trying to budget myself, and I don't game THAT much, just a little bit now and then. If I was going to buy one (not build) is there a better place to look, or is there a better option that you could link me to?

9nanners

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

I see, so the difference in the video ram (2GB vs 1GB) is more crucial than the difference in DDR3 RAM (8GB vs 12GB) ?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
You really would be better off building your own. It's not very hard. There are many instructional video's out there to show you how to do it step by step.

If you insist on buying a prebuilt one, you're better off looking for a non gaming desktop and then adding a GTX750ti to it.

9nanners

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

Neither of these are labelled as gaming desktops, but wouldn't I be able to upgrade either of those two models?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The thing about these systems is they all come with really crappy power supplies and motherboards, and those are the two most important parts for upgrading. And if you're capable of upgrading either of those things, then you're capable of building an entire system.

riderjay253

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
ya why not get a gaming cpu pre built from newegg or the other custom builders online, maybe the dell has a better warrentee, but you could get a somewhat faster pc for the same price, i got mine from ibuypower cheaper then i could have built , but it was a holiday sale

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
You might get better results by posting your budget, and whether or not you want to build your own and asking people to search for systems for you.

FYI figuring out what graphics cards are good is a bit of a trick. For nVidia, it's the second number that's important. So a 680 is much faster than a 750. The first number just tells you how new the design is. Basically x60 cards and above are good for gaming. (gtx660, gtx760, etc...) a good rule of thumb might be to add the first and second digits together. So a 770 and a 680 both add up to 14, and are roughly equivalent.

AMD is a bit trickier, because they recently changed their numbering system to be more like the intel i series, R9s are good gaming cards, and R7s are less so.

9nanners

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

Thank you for the helpful reply! :)

I compared that one to a few others available, and was wondering if any of the following are any good? They're all similar in price and I don't know which would be better/more valuable

Iron124

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

They're so similar in specs, it really comes down to personal preference and what you're looking for. I wouldn't spend the extra $100 on such modest upgrades though. Save your money and just buy a decent base to work with.

9nanners

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
I see, and would it be relatively easy to upgrade something such as the graphics card? I've got literally no experience building.

As well, do you have any suggestion on picking a build (ie. how do I know which one has the best processor?)

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
If you want a good upgrade path, you need a good motherboard and a good psu. That is the opposite of what you're going to find in a pre-built "gaming" machine. Upgrading/adding a video card is easy. It just plugs in. There's a video out there for everything. Give me your budget and I will try to find you something.

Are you SUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRE you aren't willing to try to build your own? OR is it an option for you to buy parts and then have somebody assemble it for you?

9nanners

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

Y'know what, I'm mainly just scared of building it because it seems a little daunting and I'm not sure whether I could do it :p I really appreciate all the advice I've received, you guys are the best. I guess building really would be the best way to go about this.

I'm looking at spending a max of ~$700 on a machine. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I mean I'd like to option to play most games, I'm converting over from consoles to PC gaming :)

I'd honestly have nobody to ask but I'd try building if it's as doable as it seems.

Again, thank you SO MUCH. Honestly. I REALLY appreciate how helpful you and everyone else is :)

I'm in Canada by the way, so I'd need to be able to get the parts up here :p

djcm9819

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014

700$!!!
You could get a very sweet gaming pc for that price. Don't buy a prebuilt pc most of them are crap and overly expensive. Remember that to build a pc you literally just need to put 7-8 parts together, not that challenging. If you don't want to build it yourself you could pay someone to do it for you and still get better value than buying a pre built.