News Nvidia VSR Testing: AI Upscaling and Enhancement for Video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So it only works in a browser?

Will this become a feature I can simply use for video files on my computer? why the browser requirement? I already bought the overpriced card.
You can play some video files in a browser, though. Try it.

I couldn't tell a lot of difference and it would have been really helpful if they were labelled.
I turned it on, couldnt see any different between 1080p and 4k.
Make sure you're viewing the images in full-screen. Then, just look at the diagonal lines and it's a dead giveaway. If you flip back & forth between the images, I guarantee you won't have trouble telling the difference. I can, on just a 1440p monitor.

You can also try loading the images in two different tabs, and then use Ctrl-Tab and Shift-Ctrl-Tab to switch back and forth.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review @JarredWaltonGPU !

I'm really hoping this is like DLSS 1.0, with greater things to come. Don't forget that the RTX 4000-series has that optical flow engine, which is purpose-built for generating motion vectors!
I asked Nvidia about this, because it seemed like it would have been a great addition. Basically "no comment" was what I got for now, and confirmation that the OFA (also present in Turing and Ampere, just less capable) is not being used. At least not right now.

I think the issue is that the OFA was sort of tailor made to generate motion vectors from game images and to help interpolate a frame. Maybe it doesn't work so well with other content or something. But it seems to me that this is at least one more vector Nvidia could leverage in the future!

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I asked Nvidia about this, because it seemed like it would have been a great addition. Basically "no comment" was what I got for now,
Not surprising, but thanks for at least trying!

I think the issue is that the OFA was sort of tailor made to generate motion vectors from game images and to help interpolate a frame. Maybe it doesn't work so well with other content or something.
My TV has a motion smoother, and it's usually pretty flawless. Occasionally, it does mess up in ways that you can see, and such mistakes are sometimes rather glaring.

I think motion-smoothing is a rather hard problem, and I don't blame Nvidia for wanting to develop this tech at a more cautious pace. Maybe they want to avoid releasing anything that makes video worse, so they don't make a bad first impression (e.g. the way DLSS 1.0 sort of did, with the reputation it got for blurring).

I had high hopes, when they published this research:

If you think about it, the only thing that really separates super slow-mo from normal-speed motion interpolation is the playback speed.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
Its started clocking up my GPU. I'm watching a video of anime via edge and the power draw is between 100- 125 watts on a RTX 3080 ti. On youtube its like 30-40 watts.

The video looks really great, perfect quality image at 4k from a 1080p source.

Pausing the video causes power draw to drop to 31-32 watts.

Go full screen 1080p to 4k+ and see the power draw.

Last edited:

geogan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I could be imaging things but I thought it was doing something playing local video using KMPlayer with external LAV filters which are set to use Nvidia hardware.

I could be imaging things but I thought it was doing something playing local video using KMPlayer with external LAV filters which are set to use Nvidia hardware.
It's not really a thing, because people knows madVR exists:

Upscaling techniques for local video playback have been refined over the years to the point where upscaling in MPC-HC, mPlayer and even VLC are a non-issue.

Regards.