Nvidia Wants Gamere to Forget New Consoles, Go SFF PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
It looks like sour grapes to me. nvidia's main rival scored two big wins with the new consoles, and there is finally a competitor to some of their higher-end products (290/X).

The Steam Box is definitely a neat idea and it will be interesting to see it grow, although the SteamOS is extremely limited right now. The PS4 and XB1 do a lot more than the Steam Box can...for now. If Valve and nvidia are going to get into the console scene, they need to understand that console gamers don't want to feel like they are using a PC on their TV and how well they design the UI will surely be the determining factor in how many consumers are attracted.

Already have a small form factor gaming computer and a smaller form factor htpc / game-streaming pc... and no interest in consoles. Though I never have.

Keep it up, Nvidia? I'd rather see Maxwell released a month sooner than more comments like these - they just seem desperate.

toddybody

Distinguished
Ill preface with "Im a huge PC Gamer"...

But its hard to argue a value proposition of a 399.99 PS4 vs a 399.99 Gaming PC.

100.00 of a build is for Windows alone.

n3cw4rr10r

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
Quote: "What Nvidia is proposing here is a console-like form factor that features the same price range as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One but provide superior power."

Have you seen the prices of these models? Almost, atleast double the price of the ps4.

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Nvidia selling their products at a similar price point for more performance? Yeah right.
Nvidia sounds like they wish they didn't miss out on console opportunity.

As for the steam machines, I like the idea, I feel like their for console gamers who have been told PC is better and don't know how easy it is to build your own, but I hope they succeed.

They do a lot more if you use Valves OS and not say 8.1. If you use 8.1 and wait a bit Kinect 2.0 will be out for Windows and you can do everything you do in the XB1 and more.

ledpellet

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I cannot wait to see Microsoft fall. I am tired of them bending us over on Windows operating systems. They took the little guy out of the picture by giving Dell, and the other big corporations steep discounts. They helped crush our main st. stores along with all the other big greedy corporations. I support anything that hurts their home user business. Buy the PS4, and hope that Steam OS develops into a great platform.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

Value is still a factor of pc gaming:
1: games are cheaper with digital distribution and multiple distributors battling for your favor and older games being still available at a lower price games can be considered a lot cheaper which compensates the initial heightened price. on the value perspecttive
2: a pc costs $60 less a year if you want to play online, that also doesn't count as big at the start but it does help in the end
3: os is something you can consider the cost of having a pc and you don't need to be a gamer to have a pc, you can also use linux in the future (now its not really feasable) or just go obtain your os through less official means.

so yea I'd argue that pc gaming is cheaper in the long run if you want it to be.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Steaming = key.

If they are willing to sell me a box that will cost about the PS4 and be my htpc and play games....well meh. I'd get a PS4 so I can play exclusives. But if they are selling me a box that will let me stream from my main rig to it, then I am all ears.

Here is the thing, I have an 7970 in there now. I'll eat my pants if the green team will play nice with my rig.

Sep 22, 2013
They need to ditch the over-priced SFF PCs and that crap SHIELD monstrosity and focus on cards. Nobody wants SHIELD, Nvidia.

SFF Nvidia PCs are for entry-level PC gamers only, and for those foolish enough to buy them, the same user/consumer won't have the hardware knowledge to see the difference between their machine and a Dell, and Dell and other pre-made vendors already own that market.

They'll need a lot more mainstream exposure (advertising) to reach that crowd.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Nvidia is just blowing "steam" no pun intended because they are, over the course of history the option that hardware manufactures don't want to use for all kinds of reasons. I won't use Nvidia because they fail to admit when they have hardware problems and cover the hardware unless they get sued.

chaospower

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Hahaha! I found it hillarious how when clicking on the v3gaming option on the nvidia site, it brings you to a site telling you all about how these SFF PCs are all "Nvidia GTX powered" but then, if you click on the smallest option, the "Move", it brings you to a site telling you that the move is based on an AMD cpu with an AMD gpu, with AMD logos all over. My, that was a good laugh...

For gaming alone, unless you're an enthusiast, a PC won't make any sense at all right now. PCs to reach the same level of quality for the new consoles in the SFF will take a good 3 to 4 years. The SteamBox + SteamOS will be as close as it will get to consoles with "traditional" SFF PCs, but other than that, Windows boxes (in any size or shape) will have a harder time.

This is laughably incorrect. A $400 PC runs games better than the consoles do already (the xbone runs bf4 @ 720p, while the PS4 only runs it at 1600x900, both around medium detail levels for the PC).

...a $500 PC is able to run the game at full 1920x1080 with matching settings at the same framerates.

sulanis

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Of course they do because there biggest Competitor for Graphics is AMD and they own all three Major Consoles.

Nvidia can be a tad more expensive.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Games for consoles are custom made for one type of hardware, that's why you get amazing looking games running on your PS3, and if that same hardware was in a PC, you could not play anything like that. An XBOX 360 is like an Nvidia 7600, what could you play with that? A slim PC that costs twice as much will not play games for 7 years like a console will. Just saying.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
PC just can't compete with consoles in this arena. Sony and Microsoft can price their consoles at much lower prices...why? Because they make all their money from accessories and...game licenses/royalty fees. SFF manufacturers like Zotac, MSI, Asus, Shuttle, etc, they make their money from the hardware and bloatware sponsors.

I think nVidia is not sweating from the fact that AMD won out for MS and Sony. MS and nVidia had a bad fallout. Sony needed a changed from PS3 I guess? However, nVidia has a piece of the puzzle for the tablet and smartphone market (Tegra!) which is growing enormously.

Er... Close, but no:

Intel i3 3220: 125USD
Asus BDROM: 95USD (yes, Consoles have a BD player, so this is fair)
MSI B75 mATX: 70USD
Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333: 88USD
CM N200: 40USD (original price is 50USD)
EVGA GTX650: 117USD
Toshiba 1TB: 55USD
Corsair CX430W: 45USD (original is 50USD)

So, with that (I know going AMD is cheaper, but this will be close to a Intel/nVidia low end SteamBox) it gives you around 635USD. Do you think that build can play stuff in Ultra @1080p, play decently in MP (BF4 specially) and all other things Consoles do *while* you play? (Streaming, for example)

I'm not trying to defend consoles here. I'm just defending my 3-4 years same "graphical fidelity" for both systems in SFF until SteamOS arrives.

Did you delete my post, MM?

If you did, please put it back; it didn't contain any bad words.

Cheers!

Please rephrase that, as right now it's an atrocity. Who says small form factor PCs are for entry-level gamers only? I'm running an overclocked i5, GTX 670, and sound card, with a custom watercooling loop, in a mini-itx case.

I also disagree that the new steam machines are going to be for entry level PC gamers - some of them are going to have Titans in them. You have a point that the public could use some knowledge of what does what, but that's our job, not nvidia's.

Status
Not open for further replies.