News Nvidia Wants Gamers to Fight COVID-19

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i already signed up for this am donating pc power to combat the virus.

does tomshardware have there own team for folding and contributing to find a vaccine iof so what is the correct team number or is what the above guy said it?

could a toms-hardware guy or moderator confirm this?

Last edited:
crunching data on GPUs is not free for the consumer; I remember when I stopped crunching SETI on a pair of desktops (CPU power only, no GPU crunching back then) in mild weather months (no high electric or gas bils), and saw my already cheap electric bill drop from $75 to.....<drum roll!> $25!!!! Which likely means $50 a month of my electric bill had been SETI....for 2.5 years or so....

gaborbarla

Distinguished
wasnt IBM Summit used few days ago?

IBM watson health is also at disposal

So exactly, the one article said lend your GPU power to fight Corona. Then a few days later, SUMMIT was used to rapidly find a solution. Now again I must donate my GPU? What is going on here?

Yes we have a folding team.
Folding works on many diseases,Parkinson, cancers,Alzheimer, and now we add CV-19

They Identified 77 different protein compounds that might attach to the virus to make if non infection.
But definitely no CURE.

Last edited:
I have been running F@H on my GTX1070 for quite awhile. At full load with the monitor on my PC uses about 220W

220W x 24Hrs is 5280WH

5280WH = 5.28KWH

5.28KWH * $0.13/KWH = $0.686/day
~$20/month to fold. YMMV

I don't normally run all day, usually just during the day while I'm at work and I've turned the thermostat down. My costs are therefore actually less than $20 on average.

shorttack

Commendable
Aug 13, 2017
Thanks Intel and nVidia. The gratuitous pitch to help by folding has totally swamped and crashed the folding@home servers since Friday afternoon (it's Monday 11am now). Nobody at the server end was prepared for this. #foreseeableconsequence

If Intel and NVIDIA wish to help, the best thing they could do is donate a few work servers to Stanford .
Right now the servers they have are maxed out.
Work units are generated off of finished work units. Which takes time and server resources.
Right now we are finishing work units faster than they can collect and generate more.

mtbparker

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Work units are generated off of finished work units. Which takes time and server resources.
Right now we are finishing work units faster than they can collect and generate more.

I'm not sure about server crashes. That would be a problem, if true. But if having too many GPUs at the ready, lined up to help is the only problem, I'd say that's an excellent problem to have. And who knows? Maybe Intel and nVidia are donating server-side hardware.

Reactions: Pailin
Please do not take my posts as negative.
The Increased exposure has been a tremendous boom for F@H . Well deserved in my opinion.
I have been running it since Dec 2004, the same month my father-in-law was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
I am no expert, but I try to stay informed about it.