Nvidia: We're Staying in the Chipset Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"But because of Intel’s improper claims to customers and the market that we aren’t licensed to the new DMI bus and its unfair business tactics, it is effectively impossible for us to market chipsets for future CPUs. So, until we resolve this matter in court next year, we’ll postpone further chipset investments for Intel DMI CPUs."

I hate it when companies use these tactics to reduce consumer choice, just like that other company that prevented PhysX processing on its GPUs when a competitor's video card was also present.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
How about that one company with those dogmatic fanboys you know the one that has a cpu and gpu line and both dogmatic fanboys from both area's that complain all the time.

joejamesatou

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Please just pay the licensing for Intel DMI and quit complaining! Or release the new chipsets if you are confident you are right and let your lawyers have at Intel. They make some great chipsets and used to be my favorite back in my AMD Athlon XP days, but they just do so much whining and complaining. Whether it's dissing Intel, claiming DirectX 10.1 is useless (then releasing a 10.1 card!), banning PhsyX on an AMD card, charging motherboard makers for SLI (Crossfire = free) NVidia has a knack for this kind of behavior.

But I do love my 9600 GSO for under $40!!!

G

Is it just me, or is it hard to believe that Nvidia can sell more chipsets than AMD for AMD's processors?

I am not saying it is not possible, but it is just something that I would like to see the sales figures for.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Im sorry im not buying another Nvidia based board again.Right now im having a issue with my onboard network card(570sli) where 6/10 times when i load windows its completly dead, i restart and its fine and no matter what version chipset driver i load it does the same blasted thing.

G

The original statement by Nvidia is still the operative one for consumers, business and investors, not their latest attempt (above)to improve their image of withdrawal from the board (and also, it seems, the discrete graphic chipset) market.

Nvidia is being very disengenuous in this "clarification". Their claim to "more chipsets than AMD" is based on corporate deliveries, where a frequent requirement is to be able to supply the same chipset under contract for a period of 3 to 5 years. These contracts are ending, Nvidia will not be designing new chipsets for the AMD platform, and even if they could they would not be cost-effective against AMD's chipsets for future orders, and over time AMD's changes in architecture (and what is in the CPU vs board chipset) will render Nvidia completely incapable of designing and producing chipsets for the AMD platform profitably. And that's what the game is, eh?

The consumer segment of Nvidia's chipsets for AMD has already gone the way of the dodo, ever since the 780 (and then 790 and 785) chipsets were produced. Just look at the listings on NewEgg et al, and you will see hardly any NV chipset boards listed, and the number is declining daily. The Intel situation is well understood by all; Intel says Nvidia can't legally produce for the new Intel platforms, period, and Nvidia hope to delay/fuzz the situation by relying hopefully on "a lawsuit".

Their ION volumes could be measured on the head of a pin, with an electron microscope.

Laterally, due to their "bumpgate" disasters (documented exhaustively in a series of articles at semiaccurate.com), they have lost the confidence of a great number of their ad-in board and OEM manufacturers. Huge return rates for most/all 8000, 9000 and some 2xx chips, coupled with the duplicitious denial of Nvidia that anything was wrong, has not endeared themselves to the board/OEMs, including Sony, Dell, HP, Apple et al. Huge charge-offs on Nvidia's balance sheet, too.

And their new humungously-sized and complex Fermi chip is still under development, is probably not intended primarily for the consumer market, isn't anywhere cost-effective compared to AMD, and *may* see the light of day in significant numbers by the end of Q1/10. May is the operative word here.

No, Nvidia is in a pickle, and a world of hurt. No wonder their share price is tanking. No wonder they offer fuzzy "explanations" like the above.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
My first reaction "Wait. What? But I thought... "

So then chipsets for AMD and older Intel processors will still be developed, just not the new Intel ones? It would be nice if they came out with a newer AMD chipset. They last updated the Intel line, so AMD should be next. (I think)

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
alright so I am trying to get this straight here....

So NVIDIA is going to stop making chipsets for Intel (ok) and AMD (AMD owns ATI so this will in no way affect or hurt AMD). So NVIDIA will then only be making revenue of their desktop graphics cards.... that seems stupid.

And this is the PERFECT opportunity for AMD to screw Intel for all the times Intel screwed AMD. If NVIDIA will no longer make dedicated graphics chips for Intel the only other brand that makes graphics chips is ATI (owned by AMD). So AMD could say "screw you Intel, no dedicated ATI cards for you!" and then Intel is f***ed. LOL! (and don't even mention Nehalem cause that is gonna flop hardcore!)

This is not going to be pretty!!

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Getting out of the integrated market seems kind of like a good idea now, since Intel is basically refusing to allow them on Core i- boards and both AMD and Intel have announced plans to move graphics cores onto the CPU die in the near future. Discrete is going to be more of nVidia's bread and butter in the future than today, but they also have an out with the Tegra line. Embedded and mobile is a place where ATI really dropped the ball and nVidia just made a big splash with the Zune HD. From the pressures on Intel's side to the opportunities of portable media players and devices, this move makes more sense than at first blush.

tomtom_32

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
hey intel, so you thought know that you have a good cpu you can make people to buy your crappy chipsets with them didn't you? your just a bunch of b@#ches aren't you?

But because of Intel’s improper claims to customers and the market that we aren’t licensed to the new DMI bus and its unfair business tactics, it is effectively impossible for us to market chipsets for future CPUs. So, until we resolve this matter in court next year, we’ll postpone further chipset investments for Intel DMI CPUs.

I wounder if nVidia considers not allowing SLI on any other platform chipset except their own unfair business practices....

Or its ok for them to limit consumer choice.

They should wounder why AMD allows for Intel chipsets to do CrossFire (even when they were ATI they did too). Could it be because they don't want to limit consumer choice and as well have a larger market to get your GPUs sold to? Because I know a ton of people who went with a nVidia chipset ONLY because of SLI. If a P35/45 or X38/48 had SLI they would have gotten it instead because the Intel chipset is just better.

nVidia, stop calling the pot black when you are just as guilty of the same stuff.

[citation][nom]tomtom_32[/nom]hey intel, so you thought know that you have a good cpu you can make people to buy your crappy chipsets with them didn't you? your just a bunch of b@#ches aren't you?[/citation]

Wow. Where have you been? Intels chipsets are considered the best. They tend to give better performance, better stability and tend to overclock better than a nvidia chipset does.

Only thing nVidias chipset has over Intels is SLI. If Intels chipsets had SLI, you better bet nVidia would be out of the chipset business pretty fast.

bucifer

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
nvidia is just harvesting the seeds of hate the planted all those years. They are getting paid back with the same coin. I really can't understand how could they be so stupid. They charged premium and royalties several years for their products; where did those money go? Really bad management.

G

Intel and nVidia duking it out over mobile and future chipsets and nVidia stopping production of AMD chipsets?

AMD is laughing all the way to the bank.

There is a lot of speculations about Nvidia lately... dropping from the gpu market, dropping from the chipset market... dropping from something they used to do...

There is too much buzz around Nvidia being in a bad situation to simply not taking any attention to it. I think something is really not going really well beneath the 4 walls of Nvidia inc.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]So AMD could say "screw you Intel, no dedicated ATI cards for you!" and then Intel is f***ed.[/citation]

AMD can't do that. They are contracturally obligated by IBM to share patents and technology. Just like they shared x64, they have to share crossfire as well.

G

"On AMD platforms, we continue to sell a higher quantity of chipsets than AMD itself"

WTF are they smoking? There's no way that's true. Almost anybody opts for the 770/780G/790GX/FX chipset, there are Nvidia boards out there, but I don't honestly know who buys them, AMD chipsets are better than any Intel or Nvidia chipsets, and they're usually cheaper at any feature set or pricepoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.