Nvidia Will Detail Its Next-Gen Mainstream GPU At Hot Chips 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
By looking at the title, Nvidia might simply unveilled their product which could add to the release date. IMO, October is more likely. There is no reason to release a new GPU when the 1000 serie is still selling like crazy due to the cryptominers.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
My gut feeling for this is that this is the moment when a mockup is held up and the commentator says, "This is (Your choice of names here) and describes what it is/has in the way of shaders, etc. By is/has I mean will be/will have. Nvidia is late for doing this for the next generation. This would be what would, eventually, become the 1270/1280.

The 1180/1170, in a perfect world, will still debut next month and be based on a GV104 with the 1160/1150 to follow this fall and the 1180Ti to follow next spring.

benn

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Won’t be out till end of year at least. Anyway, do you really want a reference design? Don’t know about you guys but I’d prefer a 3rd party cooler that doesn’t turn the fans on until 60+ degrees.
I.e. next year for something you might buy.
That poor 1080ti going to have to struggle for a little while longer..

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
you know is no way they'll make a 1180 with 3500+ cores and gddr6 memory that would crush the 1080ti unless of course they make the 1180 cost a heck of a lot more then the 1080ti wich is very forseable..... all these people waiting when it prolly be besdt just to not wait and get a 1080 or 1080ti 1180 pricetag 799 maybe even a 2000 dollar premium on top if it has mining use or if the bitmain miner is a flop

benn

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Always the waiting game. Unless you got firm dates and product it’s silly.
I got my 1080ti msi gaming x for $718 last year. Yeah let’s wait. Need it now, buy it now. Coulda shoulda woulda.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Could swore I read this post before. Oh wait, I did. It was right before the 1000 series dropped and the 980ti was big boy on campus. Or was it before the Vega debuted....

Honestly, it's been done, and done, and done many times. Too many trying to jump on 'The Next Best Thing' when the horse isn't even at the gate yet.

Why would it be impossible? The GTX 1080 came out and crushed the GTX 980Ti. So why wouldn't they launch the GTX 1180 beating the 1080Ti and then a bit later the GTX 1180Ti like they did with the 1080 series?

bloodroses

Distinguished
Until prices are announced, my thoughts of this new series are lukewarm at best. With rumors flying around about the cost being somewhere between $1200-2000, that's an insane price for most consumers. However, Nvidia knows they can charge that much since the 1080ti's have been selling through re-sellers as high as $1200 due to cryptomining, and people were still gobbling them up.

Not sure on that. Newegg has a reference design Asus GTX 1080Ti for $799, the better version with the Strix cooling is $949, which is not too bad. But they don't have much competition from AMD right now so they could price it higher.

I would assume it would price near the current 1080 maybe a bit higher.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

As long as AMD has nothing comparable, the logical thing for them to do would be to price it proportional to the Pascal cards (so, near 1080 Ti, if the rumors are correct). No sense in undercutting themselves...

Also, it's easier to lower prices than to raise them, because everyone remembers how low the old MSRP was, and continually complains about how inflated the current prices are. Better for them to come out with a high MSRP and drop as competition nears.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

No, they won't. They just cancelled the session.

https://www.hotchips.org/program/

Status
Not open for further replies.