NVIDIA win 10 sound problem

Aug 15, 2018
I have an NVIDIA graphics card with win 10 and just in the last week the sound began to intermittently cut out. It would be there when I turned on the computer but if the computer sat idle (sleep mode) for awhile it would be gone. Restarting brings it back but then at some point, but only sometimes, when idle again, sound will be off again.

When this happens I noticed my output options from my HDMI NVIDIA output go from 1 (NVIDIA-4) to 2 outputs (NVIDIA-4 and NVIDIA-C).

I only have 1 HDMI cable for video and sound out, no other sound outputs....

If I switch to whatever isn't selected in the output box in sound options when the sound is off, the sound comes back and sometimes when I check after that while sound is working it is back to only 1 output selection only NVIDIA-4.

As far as I can tell since June when I got the whole new version of Win 10 downloaded the only updates have been for Windows Defender. I did try to restore to an earlier system restore point but they are now all failing...

One other point in Device Manager there are 2 listings for sound an NVIDIA and a Realtek...I was thinking on disabling the REALTEK but I wasn't sure if that would cause more problems, and anyway the 2 output selections are both NVIDIA

Solution
I would start by disabling the onboard (Realtek) audio in the BIOS. Then make sure you have the Nvidia selected as playback device in sound settings. I would also try using DDU and removing any traces of old nvidia drivers. Then install latest drivers for your GPU.
Aug 15, 2018
@drivinfast247
thanks for response

Just 1 HDMI cable to a Samsung smart TV nothing else. The TV goes to a samsung blue ray player that I use for speakers. This has always been my setup

I would start by disabling the onboard (Realtek) audio in the BIOS. Then make sure you have the Nvidia selected as playback device in sound settings. I would also try using DDU and removing any traces of old nvidia drivers. Then install latest drivers for your GPU.

Solution