Nvidia Working on Second-Gen Surface RT Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I wish they didn't waste resources on making the RT, but since they are I hope they will sell it for around $200 and less than $50 for the type cover to force market penetration and give devs more incentives to make Win8 apps which would benefit Win8 x86-64 users.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
The main problem with Surface is the ridiculous price MS thinks they can charge for it.
At the new $349 "sale" for the basic RT, you aren't going to find a tablet that good at that price.

I also seriously don't understand how anyone can say RT is confusing. iOS works the exact same way and DOESN'T have the ability to join a Windows network and access file shares. Derp on you for even spewing that propaganda horse crap out of you mouth.

i see very few here have actually used or owned an RT tablet

there 1000x better then any android or iPad device, you can actually use them for professional work, join networks, remote desktop etc without any cheap crappy third party applications

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Just wish they make a RT netbook for around $250 to compete with chromebooks. I think they would fly off the shelves at that price, look at the chromebook it's a gutted OS but it works. RT is far more versitile and includes office which is a bit plus for students. Office + IE alone would cover most tasks for students, I think they are missing a big market here for a budget netbook market they could dominate in.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Windows 8 haters, RT Surface haters. I would love to lock them up in a room with a Surface RT and actually make them use it for a while. Maybe they will notice something.

Would I buy one? no. mostly because I already have laptop and PC, and would want a tablet solely for reading stuff without bulkiness, which a super slow/lightweight Android does better. However, I see this as the future for ultraportable PC. light file editing. web/email+ tablet mode.

alextheblue

Distinguished
No disrespect to Kevin Parrish but comparing web Outlook and the built in basic email app (which doesn't support POP3 - although POP3 is outdated trash and I wish it would die) to a full offline version of Outlook? Really? You wouldn't want to use Web Outlook or the basic email client on a daily basis, if you could help it. They're barely adequate.

WinRT 8.1 solves this problem by porting over Outlook. It doesn't matter if it runs on the Desktop only. Office RT runs on the Desktop and it's no big deal. My dad has a Surface for around the house web browsing and Office work. He's looking forward to Outlook RT, since he uses Verizon mail and they are behind the times (POP3, lazy pricks, IMAP is much better).

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
RT in my opinion is an OS that Microsoft made in case ARM wins against X86. As long as Intel is still in control of the market, Microsoft wouldn't do much to promote RT.
Before you tell me that "smartphones that and tablets this", market is still being controlled by Intel. Android, smartphones and tablets are still considered... cute. Someone who wants to be serious about business, work and gaming is powering on his desktop/laptop. If X86 invades the smartphone/tablet market before ARM manages to take a significant market share from desktops/laptops (no single user cares about server market - how many linux systems are on servers that no one cares about?), then there is no reason for Microsoft to ruin the Wintel recipe.
In the end the only company that really really REALLY wants RT to succeed is Nvidia, and that's because they have no guaranteed future in X86 platform. Especially now that RT is abandoned by everyone, is the perfect opportunity to make Nvidia and Tegra significant again.

G

If they stopped with the RT and gave it full windows, x86 processor and a GT610M or GT620m (to play very light games) it would be perfect tablet as the 620M can play all modern games at low settings and the 610M can play most on low settings. And price it below an iPad and it will be a huge hit! Or use one of the AMD APUs, even the lowest mobile APU would destroy any other tablet for gaming (apart from the Razer tablet)

G

Perhaps Nvidia are just working on a custom GPU for it or a way to get a mobile GPU into it rather than the whole machine? Its just annoying that its RT and not full Windows 8

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Surface RT was just too expensive, and frankly Tegra 3 didn't cut it. Plus $100+ for a cover is obscene.

I mean, hell, most high-end mechanical keyboards sell for that much.

DrHoads

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Ahh well.. I am glad that they will continue to push RT. I LOVE my surface RT. Printing, network drives, Remote Desktop and 10 hours battery!! Awesome!! Sure, my pro is a lot faster and can install all applications, but most of those I do not need on the go. Look forward to Outlook RT update for 8.1 and a bit faster CPU in the Surface RT 2.

Marlin Schwanke

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Surface RT, what a kludge job! Tablets are mainly about time wasting and media consumption. You need the MS Office Suite for that? Tablets don't have keyboards because they don't need them, see time wasting and media consumption above, so the Surface ads all feature the dancing tablets with the click-on keyboards.

"No, no, no, professionals want tablets and need to do useful work on them", you say? I say, way too few pixels on the screen, which is too small, and oh, right, the Surface RT can't run real Windows programs anyway. "But, but there's a Surface Pro for that", you say? I say, for a $1000 I get get an Ultrabook or a MacBook Air which is what your Surface Pro mimics poorly at about that price with its keyboard attachment. Oh, and I don't like my tablets with fans anyway...

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
cant see why people hate the rt, give it a go before you come spewing your uninformed "wisdom" under every win rt article on toms.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
cant see why people hate the rt, give it a go before you come spewing your uninformed "wisdom" under every win rt article on toms.

Princyxavier

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Tegra 4 would be a huge improvement. However, MS must also work on cost inorder to promote more surface tablet sale.The price cut on the first gen RT had helped clear stock, so expecting that second gen RT is also close in price, perhaps max 400$ for a 32GB.
<a href="http://www.contus.com/windows-application-development.php">Windows 8 Phone App Development</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS