[SOLVED] Nvidiacontrolpanel Displaysettings missing [SOLVED]

Feb 11, 2024
This is how the controlpanel looks for me

1.png

This is how it should look like

2.png

Whats going on there, why am i missing all these graphics settings? I reinstalled around four times using DDU, trying out both the notebook driver and the default version, same issue.
Tried with nvcleanstall and the default driver without modification but the problem presists, any advice? The os is windows 10 22h2 running on a asus tuf f15 laptop.
The laptop is advertised with 144hz but i cannot change the refreshrate in the nvcontrolpanel or the windows settings, its locked to 64hz instead.
The windows10 i run is massively debloated, i have a firewall so there is no windows update or any kind of garbage bloatware, i installed everything manually.
As far as drivers go i installed the cpu chipset and graphicsdriver but the later one doesnt work correctly.
In device manager under displayadapter i see both the nvidia rtx 3050 and the microsoft basic display adapter.
In the bios i looked through everything but cannot find an option regarding nvidia optimus or iGPU or pcie, there is armoury-crate which i disabled and reenabled if that has anything to do with it?
In the nvpanel i set the preffered graphics processor to "nvidia high performance processor", that didnt change anything really.
On reddit i just found a comment saying this:
"Those settings will not be available because the laptop is using Optimus graphic switching, and since it's a 2021 model, it doesn't have a MUX switch."
Am i f*cked? (edit, but honestly it doesnt make sense the laptop says clearly 144hz there must be a way to use that)

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Ironically, installing with nvcleaninstall and just installing the driver might be the cause.

The system might be lacking some nVidia service that handles the display part of the nVidia Control Panel.

Have you tried connecting the laptop to another display (a TV maybe?) with HDMI cable if it has an output which it should and see it Display section appears in the Control Panel?

Ralston18

Titan
Reinstall without using DDU.

Manually download the drivers directly from Nvidia's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Be sure that the source website is really Nvidia - just because "Nvidia" appears in the URL does not mean that the website is actually Nvidia.

Feb 11, 2024
Welcome to the forums!

Ironically, installing with nvcleaninstall and just installing the driver might be the cause.

The system might be lacking some nVidia service that handles the display part of the nVidia Control Panel.

Have you tried connecting the laptop to another display (a TV maybe?) with HDMI cable if it has an output which it should and see it Display section appears in the Control Panel?
I tried without nvcleanstall but the problem presists.

Yes i tried connecting an external display via hdmi but that didnt work.
The display was black, the system didnt recognize it.
Btw i'm asking for a fellow colleague, the laptop FX506HC is not actually mine, he is very bad with pc's so i'm trying to get his device up and running, but that isn't so easy..

Feb 11, 2024
Reinstall without using DDU.

Manually download the drivers directly from Nvidia's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Be sure that the source website is really Nvidia - just because "Nvidia" appears in the URL does not mean that the website is actually Nvidia.
thats exactly what i did ...

Feb 11, 2024
Drivers should always be installed with administrator rights.
Otherwise they may install incorrectly or with missing features.
Many peoples problems have been fixed with this simply step.
You can search the forums for similar posts if you like.
Our troubleshooting is freely given.
You can do with it what you like.
I'm not a braindead monkey, yes i did run it as admin ofcourse, i am looking for advanced help from serious people not basic nobrainers, no offense but "did you run as admin" isn't helpful.
To people who don't even have enough brainpower to run something as admin i don't know what to say, instead of asking a forum for help they could have solved their issue by doing a quick internet search or something like youtube. There is a difference between not being tech savvy and being just a little dumb.

Ralston18

Titan
@Elliah246

No need to be offensive or otherwise degrade people for the questions they ask or the suggestions offered.

It is not uncommon for people to forget or overlook what might be considered basic knowledge or otherwise a general expectation.

And remember this is also a worldwide forum with many people and languages - please keep that in mind.

Along with Forum rules.

We are all volunteers and just trying to help.

Feb 11, 2024
Next stupid question.
Are chipset drivers,bios and firmware up to date.

Support page.
FX506HC make sure it is the right model.
Make sure bios/firmware is up to date and install all chipset and video hotfix drivers for windows 10.
Bios is updated to the latest version.
Chipset is installed (it doesn't show up in programs and features) not sure if that's normal but i was prompted to reboot after installing it, so asumed it should work.
About firmware i don't know what you mean.

Could it be that it's common for lower end laptop models to miss display settings in the nvpanel?
I read that certain laptops use software called nvidia optimus that takes control over the dedicated gpu instead of the user, so windows decides what programs run with integrated graphics and which ones use the dedicated gpu.

Feb 11, 2024
I got the hotfix, extracted it, ran as admin, it says:
BiosRomVersion=305
BiosVersion=311
BIOS update to date
Maintenance in 3 seconds. Press any key to continue.

If i wait 3 seconds the cmd closes itself, nothing happens.
If i press any key the cmd closes itself, nothing happens.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do i do that in the bios or in the os?
In bios there is only one option, armourycrate enabled or disable, there is no igpu.
In the os i found nothing either.

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1047107/#:~:text=IGPU Mode①: This feature,GPU currently will be stopped.

Scroll down a little to,

GPU Power Saving(c)

Gamers can stop application(s) which is using GPU currently to save power.

IGPU Mode①: This feature is able to extend your battery life. The system will disable the discrete GPU applications, and only use internal GPU. This mode is not recommended for gaming or require intensive GPU usage.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024
Now im burned out.
The rtx 3050 laptop gpu is visible in devicemanager.
The latest graphics driver is installed and the controlpanel can be opened.
Bios is up to date and chipset is installed.

I've installed resident evil 2 remake, the game ran utterly slow, wen to graphics settings, refreshrate and it was stuck at 64Hz. No 144Hz available.
Meaning the game runs on integrated cpu graphics. I'm going out of ideas.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well the above link explaining how Armory Crate can disable dgpu seems like it could be that. Even if you found the setting and is already disabled, just enable it then disable.