Nvidia's 55nm GeForce 9’s Getting New Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Just when you think NVIDIA can't get it more confusing, they hit you by surprise with new naming scheme that is even more confusing than before.

How about downsizing marketing department and hire more MIT grad engineers to help you build faster cards?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Its like AMDs naming department are 2 seperate entities. The ATI cards are the most sensibily named pieces of hardware, and the AMD processors are trying to compete for offsounding names with nVidia. C'mon then GTX260 Core 316? Why not just call its the GTX270...

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
This is becoming Classic Nvidia with all these renaming schemes they like to do it just confuses the Customers even more now. Then they think oh we can rename the 9 series again & get customers to buy these thinking hey we are getting the latest & greatest tech not knowing they are basically buying tech based on 2 gens old.

Oh boy a die shrink 200 series wow cool yay. This is just to cut costs & beat AMD/ATI. I am almost willing to bet that when Nvidia releases these new 200 series cards that AMD/ATI will come out with a surprise driver update that enables the sideport feature on the Radeon 4870x2 cards since this feature is now disabled by them. I can not see them talking about this feature so much for so long then when the cards hit the streets they said hey it works but we could not see any real advantage to having it enabled so we left it turned off. So I think this is the hidden card AMD/ATI are holding for the next Nvidia release at least I hope it is anyways.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
You should make the grammar consistant in the first paragraph:

Some of the current name convention use in Nvidia card tend to confuse some consumer. Nvidia has release GeForce 8 and 9 series card base on the G92 GPU with name such as GTX, GT, GS, etc. Accord to a TG Daily report, Nvidia will be release a third G9x base series with a new name.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well, there were article about sideport, and it was said that the difference was minimal and not worth of all the trouble. There are some timing problems left, and not really need for that extra bandwide at this moment. But maybe in future when more information is needed between several cards...

Mucke

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
Oh great! Right now we have 4 numbers (9400, 9500, 9600 and 9800 + the confusing part: GS, GSO, GT, GTS, GTX); in the new scheme there will be -TADAAA- 4 numbers (100, 130, 140, 150). Since there will probably be the same number of models that means that we can look forward to another GS, GSO,...

To me it doesn't look like like nvidia wants to "make more sense to the average customer". Perhaps they hope that the average customer will upgrade his GeForce9600 to a GeForce140 -- the identical model.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Hannibal you may be right about that but it does seem strange that a company that made such a big stink about this feature on those cards for so long that just before they released it they side oh its not gonna help the cards enough to make a difference & the added power usage just does not warrant the performance gained from having side port enabled so we turned it off & we leave it up to the manufactures if they want to run the traces for this feature or not. All I know is my Sapphire 4870x2 shows that it is there but disabled at this time.

Like I said you are most likely right but it sure would be a ace up their sleeves if it does work & they are just waiting for the right moment to enable it for some extra bandwidth between each GPU even if it was only a 5% to 10% performance boost that would put them back in the race when Novidia releases their not so great 280 series.

No the (Novidia) was not a typo I am at the point that after all the stunts Novidia has pulled the last year with high prices & this renaming crap I would not have another one on my system until they get their act together & this is coming from wgat used to be a die hard Novidia fan but not any more.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Well, that's great. I don't mind all the chaos, it was already pretty crazy with most of the 9 series not performing better then the 8800gtx, no surprise really, only the 9800GX2 could compare to it in raw performance(Though it is a dual GPU). I bought a 9800GTX and thought i had a winner over the 8800GTX. I was wrong.. Do i hate nvidia, of course not, the card still performs well, and in some games does do better then the 8800GTX. So get over it mr. roboto and rocky1234, if you were so hardcore you wouldn't have said.. what you said, so your obviously not a fan just a USER. And that's what i call USER ERROR. Get your shit straight.[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You should make the grammar consistant in the first paragraph:Some of the current name convention use in Nvidia card tend to confuse some consumer. Nvidia has release GeForce 8 and 9 series card base on the G92 GPU with name such as GTX, GT, GS, etc. Accord to a TG Daily report, Nvidia will be release a third G9x base series with a new name.[/citation] Was this suppose to be funny? The grammar is fine, you are retarded.

hannibal

Distinguished

You are righ, it is not impossible. There has been some tricks like that in the history, but not by AMD or ATI.
More propable (IMHO ;-) this feature is more usefull in future versions of ATI chips, when there is more need for extra bandwide between the cores. So it's not useless feature, but maybe the time is not right at this moment. Well your quess is as good as mine. All in all it would be fun to see that happen!
Hmmm... how about those OC water cooled versions of 4870x2? They may be so much faster than normal aircooled versions that they may benefit from sideport... That is a thing that reserves certain attention.

G

I'm convinced that Nvidia is coming up with new, meaningless names for the publicity. I'm unhappy about it, but I can't really blame them for exploiting tech "journalists." Afterall, it's the most cost effective way to put there name on your screen.

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Giovanni what the fuck are you talking about? Who said anything about being hardcore? By the way a retarded monkey could have told you that the 9800GTX is not much of an improvement over the 8800GTX, if you were hardcore you would have done some simple research and known. Obviously you're just a USER. And that's what i call USER ERROR. Quit acting like such a tool.

Destroyer_Of_Arm

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Nvidia, well you can probably tell just from the name of the company that the geeks running the show are in their own world when it comes to naming themselves and their products. honestly I think we could do without the name change whereas everyone is pretty much used to the randomly chaotic
system they use now. {200 is better than 8000, and 8000 is better than 9000} I imagine since they say they are doing this to make things more easily understood for customers, they will only end up accomplishing the exact opposite. Its not that big of a deal but since I found out they have been working with ATI to screw their customers over by price fixing, I feel im pretty much justified to talk as shit as I want on these Caltech failures....

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Well from the statement you said above agreeing with rocky it seemed you two were in the same boat. As in you two were fans, fans are usually pretty hardcore. I bought the card off reviews from tomshardware. They didn't say it was a bad card and it did perform well, maybe not as well as a 8800GTX but it did out perform it in some games. If i were just a user then fuck idk wtf happened to the 10 years of building my own PC's. The tool shit is pretty fucken stupid, why don't you stop being a fucken prick and go fucken play with your legos, i've pretty much had enough bs from people like you that i could pretty much own you before you speak another word by 054104 001302 50991 001423530~! Yea exactly. I feel sorry for people like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.