Nvidia's Board Partners Bring GTX 950 To Life With 18 Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Glad we got the full details of all 18 cards now. Once again to me, EVGA seems like the brand I'm going to go to if I purchase a 950. I love how the Superclocked version is always small and can fit in Mini ITX builds. EVGA cards have high clock rates also when compared to the other brands. The Gainward card looks weird to me with the one fan design. But I'm curious to see the prices, as that's a very important factor in deciding which to purchase.

I know you can OC all those cards, too. But some people don't delve into overclocking because they don't like messing with voltages or are inexperienced, in which EVGA is an attractive brand with higher clock rates. I'm curious if the EVGA version will need a 6-pin power cable, as their 750Ti SC does not and the 950 draws in less power. It could very well run on pure PCIex16 power, as well as some other cards if they take advantage of the low power draw properly.

Nice! Love the selection there! Excellent factory overclocks as well, 1400mhz on the FTW model is very impressive!

All the cards look great! My personal favorites are the EVGA, Gigabyte, and MSI versions.

I wish EVGA would allow me to trade in my 750 TI FTW for a 950 FTW. :(

UltimateDeep

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I'm hoping that board partners can shrink it down even shorter (and cuter) like what they did to the GTX 650 (The EVGA 650 looks damn cute) and the 750 Ti.

pheroklendathu

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I had a feeling the prices on these cards would be at this price point, so I went ahead and got an EVGA GTX 960 SSC earlier this week. I read today's review of the 950, and it sounds great, but I just don't see why somebody wouldn't pay the extra $15 to get a 960 (and it came with MGS V for free with it).

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I had a feeling the prices on these cards would be at this price point, so I went ahead and got an EVGA GTX 960 SSC earlier this week. I read today's review of the 950, and it sounds great, but I just don't see why somebody wouldn't pay the extra $15 to get a 960 (and it came with MGS V for free with it).
Yeah these are priced too high for what they are you might as well get the GTX960 2GB version instead or pay a bit more for the 4GB version just get them on sale for 175/200 they'll be hitting those price targets routinely I think at this point on and off.

There is no reason to get a 4GB 960. The card simply doesn't have the power or the memory pipe to deal with detail settings that want 4GB. If you're spending extra on the 4GB version, you're better off hunting down a 280X.

Also realize you're comparing prices between a card that was just released and one that's got many online deals and specials. Outside of those sales, the 960 tends to hover around $190 - $200, meaning it's usually a $30 gap. Considering you can OC the 950 to within spitting distance of an OCd 960, that $30 could be big in a small budget.

Let me get some facts answered:

1. Maxwells memory compression algorithms allows Maxwell to use 4GB no problem. Just look at the benchmarks. However, it's only beneficial if you do SLI.
2. The bigger beefy coolers allows better overclocking, and looks cooler. :D
3. The GTX 950 is 90 WATTS! A 6 pin power connector is a MUST!

Yes, Maxwell as a whole can use 4GB VRAM, but the 950 and 960 version of Maxwell have some serious limitations on that. I have checked the benchmarks and the vast majority of the time the 4GB doesn't offer much improvement. Here are two places to check.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1888-evga-supersc-4gb-960-benchmark-vs-2gb/Page-2
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_960_g1_gaming_4gb_review,12.html

Going off the 1080 results, AC:U is the only place showing a dramatic difference, and that game is poorly ported and optimized. Everywhere else the 2GB card is barely behind. As I've said before, the GPU and the memory bus will become the bottleneck before the VRAM will. For the same price as a 4GB 960, you can get a 3GB 280X which will blow the 960 away since it has the power and bandwidth to fully use its VRAM.

TL / DR - Simply put, the 4GB 960 is not worth it because you have better options available at that price. Same goes for the 950 or 960 in SLI. A single 970 will surpass SLI 950s in every way and a single 980 is a better option than SLI 960s.

I was a bit disappointed the 950 wasn't a true upgrade/replacement to the 750ti. This possibly means that if we get a 940 it will be the actual replacement for the 750ti. It's kinda nice that Nvidia is having a broader price range for their GPUs, but I wish these all came out at the start of the Maxwell 900 series, and we had the full lineup from the get-go instead of this very slow trickle down of cards over time.

Well, the GTX 750 TI is still pretty potent so that's probably why NVidia has it set so the upgrade path should be every 2 generations.

I personally plan to upgrade my 750 TI FTW to a NVidia Pascal GPU since rumors say those will be at least 2x more powerful than Maxwell.

MSI's personal/prefered colors has always been black & red.
In fact non of these card's have green on them, and even Nvidia doesn't really make their cards green.

ferdnyc

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Is it just me, or is the Palit table jumbled? Unless the dual-fan card is really clocked slower than the single-fan card (which would seem to contradict the accompanying text)...

The dual fan specs are correct.

The single fan specs are wrong. They should be:

Palit GTX 950 StormX
Base Clock: 1026 MHz
Boost Clock: 1190 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.