Nvidia's Fermi Cards Said to Run Very Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

another reason why fermi is going to fail. it runs absurdly hot and no one in their right mind would buy a card that requires such specialized cooling to properly work. this should be the final nail in the coffin for fermi. it will be overpriced, power hungry, scorching hot and behind the ball. to sum it up nvidia failed.

Godhatesusall

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
oh,please fanboi

Im no big fan of Nvidia, but saying a GPU will suck before we get some benchmarks is absurd. Wait untill fermi is out, then you can critisize the final product as much as you want.

Hotter than the hottest 5xxx card? Does that mean that is going to use the max 300W for a single chip? The 5970 is already rated at 294W how much hotter can it get? If so thats going to get ugly on the power supply side, 300W per card pretty much rules out tri SLI or a two chip card unfortunately.

I want fermi to come out already so that we will have some real numbers to end this debate of whether its going to rock or suck.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I believe all they're saying is if you want to Tri-SLI you'll need water cooling.

I had a pair of 8800GTX's and they ran extremely hot in my small unventilated mid-tower case until I upgraded to a bigger chassis. That didn't make them "fail" cards by any stretch of the imagination!

AMW1011

Distinguished
[citation][nom]noodlegts[/nom]I believe all they're saying is if you want to Tri-SLI you'll need water cooling.I had a pair of 8800GTX's and they ran extremely hot in my small unventilated mid-tower case until I upgraded to a bigger chassis. That didn't make them "fail" cards by any stretch of the imagination![/citation]
Yeah but they work fine when air cooled by a decent case, they don't need water cooling at all.

G

Time to incorporate your Espresso Machine into your Gaming Computer!
This way you can have all the hot java you want when you want.:D

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I love these stories - passing it onto us as if it was substantiated news. I especially get a kick from the title only to find out that even the source quoted admits that single and dual GPU setups are fine. I doubt anyone who has the budget or the need to run more than two cards simultaneously will be using air-cooling and an average PSU, so what's the point to writing this story? To aggravate people, to talk trash about a great (albeit lately odd) company? TH, get a grip you're starting to write trashy "news" and you're quickly becoming The National Enquirer of online tech news. Not cool.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]I love these stories - passing it onto us as if it was substantiated news. I especially get a kick from the title only to find out that even the source quoted admits that single and dual GPU setups are fine. I doubt anyone who has the budget or the need to run more than two cards simultaneously will be using air-cooling and an average PSU, so what's the point to writing this story? To aggravate people, to talk trash about a great (albeit lately odd) company? TH, get a grip you're starting to write trashy "news" and you're quickly becoming The National Enquirer of online tech news. Not cool.[/citation]

ahah agreed.
although im like 90% sure that nvidia said multiple can cause heating problems because even one gpu would run like 75C.
they said 2 is fine, this is probably based on the fact that they prob use liquid helium to cool their shit. i dont think it can anywehrre remotely cool as my 5850 which is at 29C.
one gpu will be more than what most cases can take. if you have something from 4 years ago, you are SCREWED.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]impulse fire911[/nom]ahah agreed.although im like 90% sure that nvidia said multiple can cause heating problems because even one gpu would run like 75C.they said 2 is fine, this is probably based on the fact that they prob use liquid helium to cool their shit. i dont think it can anywehrre remotely cool as my 5850 which is at 29C.one gpu will be more than what most cases can take. if you have something from 4 years ago, you are SCREWED.[/citation]
Dude I totally agree with you - but what get's me fired is how this site, as of late, has been sinking in terms of credibility and professionalism - they even manage to use 2nd and 3rd hand info and twist it into some trash-talk. I visit other sites and the classics still manage to provide me with interesting news, whereas TH -which used to be my top pick- seems to go for the cheap shot of writing a catchy title to get me to read the story, only find out that they're just twisting things around. I give this site my time, the least they can give me is accurate news not some sensationalized BS! Grrr!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]gwolfman[/nom]if it's still as fast as they claim, you can underclock fermi and still beat the 5870.[/citation]

50% higher transistor count. Wider 384-bit memory interface. Huge L2 Cache.

I think fermi's going to be slow. /sarcasm.

-On the article's subject:
The 5970 runs hot, and pushes the power limit of the PCIe specification. So will Fermi, but like the the 5970's situation, a dual slot air cooler will push most of that hot air out of your case anyway. These heat and power consumption concerns are pretty much... STUPID.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Must be the wood screws not thermally efficient *ba da psh*
Haha i'm guessing all this means is that there wont be a x2 2 gpu on one card coming any time soon, which to me doesn't sound like an issue if the fermi runs faster then the 5870 enough and falls between the 5970

G

Of course it's an issue. Two 2-billion transistor gpu's cost less to make than one 3-billion transistor gpu does due to manufacturing issues.

Fermi needs to beat the 5970 while also costing less. Don't hold your breath.

The smart money is on Nvidia retreating from the gaming arena completely. Fermi will be a decent performing gaming gpu, pretty good in terms of compuational stuff but there is no way Nvidia will continue to lose money and resources trying to beat ATI.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
wow, reminds me emidiately of the Pentium4, how AMD PWNED that!

between this, the delay, and the reported yeild issues, its really not looking good. lets just hope they don't panic like everyone else has in this situation and realease a dodgy slow/broken product.

even if it is awesome, enough is enough, I hardly see giving us twice the power for twice the power usage and heat output is progress. I don't want a noisey computer with a MASSIVE case just to accomidate the graphics card. up till the directX 10 cards, you could get a really good card that was still small and manageable while being awesome, the last one being the 8800GT, now they all have to be massive, I don't consider this progress...

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
well if i don't believe the good i guess i shouldn't believe the bad. i will wait until they have working cards distributed to 3rd parties. either its a monster or a colossal failure because Nvidia sure isn't saying much.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]50% higher transistor count. Wider 384-bit memory interface. Huge L2 Cache.I think fermi's going to be slow. /sarcasm.-On the article's subject:The 5970 runs hot, and pushes the power limit of the PCIe specification. So will Fermi, but like the the 5970's situation, a dual slot air cooler will push most of that hot air out of your case anyway. These heat and power consumption concerns are pretty much... STUPID.[/citation]
They are not, I pretty much remember cooling problems when using 8800ultras causing some components to overheat especially on nvidia boards.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Not surprised. After all, they want to take the Single GPU crown away from the portable heater 5870, and at least compete with the 5970 until they release their own dual GPU card.[/citation]
My last 4 cards was, nvidia 6600(overheating issues), 8800GTX, 4870x2 and now having 5870 which have probably lowest temperature from all of them with just 34-70c (23-35 on water) and most silent of them as well.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Before everyone falls for Huan's troll article, keep in mind this:

A vendor is a seller, not a manufacturer. Why would a seller of cases have any inside information about any chip maker's internal issues?

I think this article is just FUD to feed Nvidia bashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.