News Nvidia's Gaming Revenue Plunges, Jensen Announces Price Cuts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KyaraM

Admirable
It appears AMD's GPU sales aren't going any better. They were just able to hide it better because they have non GPU revenue streams, notably console APU's, which "conveniently" got put in the "gaming revenue" category with GPU's for the first time this quarter and were able to mask the huge GPU revenue drop.

dab958bf47b2acb8265318e1ebb07f4d20e762fe3eb7e82403df43c8f34ce5e7.png

AMD was down 35% from last quarter and 41% from their high 2 quarters ago. Meanwhile, Nvidia was down 44% from the previous quarter which was their peak, and 40% down from 2 quarters ago. I wouldn't exactly be laughing at Nvidia while pretending AMD is rolling along unscathed.

Also of note from this chart, AMD's console revenue is almost triple it's dGPU revenue. It sure looks like mining fueled prices shifted gamers towards consoles.
Ah, but that's so much easier than doing research...

But yeah, definitely been a shift to consoles. Availability issues due to underproduction is not the only reason my PS5s are still essentially unicorns.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Now if only power supplies would drop in price!
About a year ago, I snagged a Seasonic Prime Titanium PSU, on Newegg, for about 50% off. It seemed like they had overproduced and needed to liquidate some excess inventory.

I didn't even need it, but it was simply too good a deal to pass up!

I'm still using a 8 year old Seasonic G series.
I also have one of these in a system with just an iGPU. It's been flawless and often so quiet I can barely tell the PC is on.

The biggest discounts are coming from AIB direct sales because they are probably getting "price adjustments" money from Nvidia allowing them to drop prices immediately.
I guess it depends where in the world you are. In the UK, the RRP for a 3060 is £300 ($360), but looking at ASUS UK's shop (MSI & Gigabyte don't have one), they want £420 - £550 ($510 - $665) for them (and most of them are out of stock), but I can get the same cards for £380 to £500 ($460 - $605) from PC hardware shops. It also looks like the stock situation in the UK is noticeably worse than in the US, which probably isn't helping.

D

Deleted member 14196

Nvidia's Gaming Mining Revenue Plunges, Jensen Announces Price Cuts

There, I fixed it.
Hahaha. Yep. I don’t feel sorry for them and I never willn

Speaking of crypto, what’s all that up to? Oh yeah it’s still a Ponzi scheme and hasn’t gone anywhere

Reactions: digitalgriffin

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
over here in the Philippines, stocks of gpu have greatly improved, at least from what I see in local stores.

during the gpu crisis. What can be seen at stores are only GT 1030, GT 730, the rare GTX 1660 Super (overpriced at 600 USD each), and the even more rare RTX 2060 which the common man has to sell a kidney to get.

when I purchased an RTX 3050 some weeks ago. There are now plentiful supply of RTX 30 series, 20 series, and GTX 16 series displayed in the shelves. Also plenty of AMD 6600XT as well. Prices in at least two stores have gone down considerably. Hopefully, prices continue to fall.

Last edited:

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
The US dollar has strengthened considerably against the Euro and Japanese Yen. That alone would cause a significant shrink in revenue. And of course, consumers in Europe are getting crushed by high inflation. People struggling to pay for food aren't going to be reaching for eye candies.

InvalidError

Titan
The 3050's graphics chip only has that many more transistors because it's a significantly cut-down 3060 with a third of the chip disabled. They could have probably left a bit more of its cores enabled to allow it to at least match the 2060.
The RTX3050 is as cut-down as it is probably because Nvidia meant to to use GA107 instead of GA106. I'm guessing all GA107s available at the time were reserved by laptop manufacturers so Nvidia had to sacrifice GA106 dies to cram something in the massive gap between the RX6500 and RTX3060.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
It appears AMD's GPU sales aren't going any better. They were just able to hide it better because they have non GPU revenue streams, notably console APU's, which "conveniently" got put in the "gaming revenue" category with GPU's for the first time this quarter and were able to mask the huge GPU revenue drop.

dab958bf47b2acb8265318e1ebb07f4d20e762fe3eb7e82403df43c8f34ce5e7.png

AMD was down 35% from last quarter and 41% from their high 2 quarters ago. Meanwhile, Nvidia was down 44% from the previous quarter which was their peak, and 40% down from 2 quarters ago. I wouldn't exactly be laughing at Nvidia while pretending AMD is rolling along unscathed.

Also of note from this chart, AMD's console revenue is almost triple it's dGPU revenue. It sure looks like mining fueled prices shifted gamers towards consoles.

Fanboys can't help themselves and if you listen to the talking heads on CNBC, they will tell you AMD is all green... meanwhile they are unloading their positions at a feverish pace. The whole semiconductor industry is in trouble here, they over built for the massive spike in demand and now that demand has normalized they are stuck with way too much capacity. Semiconductor prices will drop and their stocks will go down as well.

Reactions: KyaraM

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The whole semiconductor industry is in trouble here, they over built for the massive spike in demand and now that demand has normalized they are stuck with way too much capacity. Semiconductor prices will drop and their stocks will go down as well.
Word is that TSMC still can't keep pace with demand. I think the problem of demand slump is mostly limited to a subset of their customers (e.g. GPU makers).

I do very much hope that prices and lead-times of various chips return to their long-term trend lines, in the near future.

Reactions: Tac 25

InvalidError

Titan
Word is that TSMC still can't keep pace with demand. I think the problem of demand slump is mostly limited to a subset of their customers (e.g. GPU makers).
If TSMC was willing to compromise with Nvidia to re-schedule wafers a few months later but not cancel outright, I'd say this implies TSMC would have only about that many months worth of back-orders left if it let its 5nm customers downgrade their existing minimum commitments as much as they wanted to.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
3050 is the Turing generation of the lower end. Whether or not you think they are worthwhile, they added RTX and tensors cores to the 16xx series that adds costs without improving rasterized performance. Transistor count is almost twice as high and it has 33% more memory compared to a 1660 super. The MSRP of $250 was fine at launch, only $20 more than the 1660 Super. However, the lowest priced one on Newegg right now is $325. That is awful, and that's the cheapest one. At this point they should be below $200.

sorry a bit late, but I just wanted to reply to this.

during the craze of the gpu crisis, believe it or not, 1660 Super over here in my country cost 600 usd each, if you convert the peso to usd. What surprised me is, that 1660 Super, someone still purchased it from the store. Probably some rich gamer did it. lol

fast forwards to today.. the gpu crisis has lifted a bit. Now, I find in our stores RTX 3050 for 320 usd each. Well, considering the inflated price is 600, and now it's cut down to nearly half at 320 usd. It was too sweet a deal for me to pass up. 3050 is a "1660 super" souped up with tensor cores and ray tracing for half the inflated price.

the 3050 did show me it's strength right away. Well, Dead or Alive VI is the most graphically demanding game I have... 1050ti could only do 2560 x 1440 in-game resolution with shadow res x1 -- it lags and become unplayable if set higher. Using the 3050... the game could now be set at 3840 x 2160 in-game res with shadow res at x 8. It put a smile to my face. :)

1050ti

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

TRENDING THREADS