Nvidia's GeForce GTX 285: A Worthy Successor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect. Thank you. I only wished that you could have thrown in a 4870 1GB and a GTX 260+ into the mix, since you had what I'm guessing are new beta drivers. Still, I guess you have to sleep sometime :p

G

I would like to see a benchmark between SLI 260 Core 216, SLI 280, SLI 285, GTX 295, and 4870X2

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Thanks for the article.

Overclocking would be nice to see what the hardware can really do; but I generally don't dabble into overclock video cards. Never seems to work out, either the card is already running hot or the slightest increase in frequency produces artifacts.
Also driver updates seem to wreak havoc with oc settings.

wlelandj

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Personally, I'm hoping for a non-crippled GTX 295 using the GTX 285's full specs(^Core Clock, ^Shader Clock, ^Memory Data Rate, ^Frame Buffer, ^Memory Bus Width, and ^ROPs)My & $$$ will be waiting.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I went for the GTX 285. I figure it will run cooler, allow higher overclocks, and maybe save energy compared to a GTX 280. I was able to pick mine up for about $350 while most GTX 280 cards are still selling for above $325 without mail in rebates counted. Thus far, over the last three years I have had exactly 0 out of 12 mail in rebates for computer compenents honored.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]Thanks for the article.Overclocking would be nice to see what the hardware can really do; but I generally don't dabble into overclock video cards. Never seems to work out, either the card is already running hot or the slightest increase in frequency produces artifacts.Also driver updates seem to wreak havoc with oc settings.[/citation]
I just replaced a 8800 GTS 640MB card with the GTX 285. Base clocks for the GTS are 500 GPU and 800 memory. I foget the shaders, but it is over 1000. I had mine running with 0 glitches for the life of the card at 600 GPU and 1000 memory. Before the overclock the highest temperature at load was about 88C, after the overclock the highest temperature was 94C, both of which were well within manufaturer specifications of 115C. I would not be too scared of overclocking your hardware, unless your warranty is voided because of it.

I have not overclocked the GTX 285 yet, I am waiting for NiBiToR v4.9 to be released so once I overclock it, I can set it permantly to the final stable clock. I am expecting to be able to hit about 730 GPU, but it could be less.

daeros

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Because most single-GPU graphics cards buyers would not even consider a more expensive dual-GPU solution, we’ve taken the unprecedented step of arranging today’s charts by performance-per-GPU, rather than absolute performance.

In other words, no matter how well ATI's strategy of using two smaller, cheaper GPUs in tandem instead of one huge GPU works, you will still be able to say that Nvidia is the best.

Also, why would most people who are spending $400-$450 on video cards not want a dual-card setup. Most people I know see it as a kind of bragging right, just like water-cooling your rig.

One last thing, why is it so hard to find reviews of the 4850x2?

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
because multi-gpu cards come with their own bag of headaches Daeros. you are better off going CF or SLI then to participate it that pay to play experiment.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Daeros[/nom]In other words, no matter how well ATI's strategy of using two smaller, cheaper GPUs in tandem instead of one huge GPU works, you will still be able to say that Nvidia is the best. Also, why would most people who are spending $400-$450 on video cards not want a dual-card setup. Most people I know see it as a kind of bragging right, just like water-cooling your rig.One last thing, why is it so hard to find reviews of the 4850x2?[/citation]
I for one am interested in ONLY single GPU solutions. Most of the games I play are not your quintuple platinum selling games, thus the people who make those games are not likely to be doing massive frequent updates to the game so it works on the random rare platform. They may get around to it, but with smaller budgets come longer development times.

I actually think that both companies are twiddling their thumbs about this multi-GPU issue. The question I have is if they make a GPU with 800 processing units, why is it so hard for them to develope into the GPU direct link between two GPUs? They can connect 800 processing units, but cannot connect two dies? Seriously?

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Toms,

OC those cards!!! I'm looking at buying a gtx 280 or a gtx 285. This article didn't tell me anything I didn't already expect. The OC'ability of these cards will determine what I buy. OC! OC! OC! Does the new 55nm tech make the GTX 285 an OC'ing beast? Any nerd worth his salt should by trying to OC those babies within 30 minutes of taking them out of the box!

Ka0skrew

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Yeah, I wish you would have included the 4850x2. Ever since seeing it in your mid-range system I've wondered how viable the card is. Especially with all the recent problems with drivers. Since it's about the same price as the gtx 285 I relaly want to know how they play in comparison to one another. Right now I know I'm certainly leaning NVIDIAs way when it comes to the card. Of course, since I think only the high end MOBOs are supporting the SLI this also leaves me in a crux since I wasn't necessary planning on the I-platform for my processor.

1raflo

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I agree with Billiardicus, b4 ive read this article, it was pretty obvious that the GTX 285 would perform just slighlty better than the GTX 280,since it was only a new manufacturing process, like the 9800GTX+ was to the 9800GTX. The only thing i was expecting to know here is how well the 285 overclocks compared to the 280. That's all i have to know if the extra 30-50 bucks of the 285 gtx really worth.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Daeros[/nom]In other words, no matter how well ATI's strategy of using two smaller, cheaper GPUs in tandem instead of one huge GPU works, you will still be able to say that Nvidia is the best. Also, why would most people who are spending $400-$450 on video cards not want a dual-card setup. Most people I know see it as a kind of bragging right, just like water-cooling your rig.[/citation]
[citation][nom]A Stoner[/nom]I for one am interested in ONLY single GPU solutions.[/citation]
Put me down as another who is only interested in the best single GPU setup. Microstuttering and less than linear gains for SLI/CF in all games are my reasons.

romioforjulietta

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Daeros[/nom]In other words, no matter how well ATI's strategy of using two smaller, cheaper GPUs in tandem instead of one huge GPU works, you will still be able to say that Nvidia is the best. Also, why would most people who are spending $400-$450 on video cards not want a dual-card setup. Most people I know see it as a kind of bragging right, just like water-cooling your rig.One last thing, why is it so hard to find reviews of the 4850x2?[/citation]

obviously you don't understand that every piece of hardware needs a good piece of software to unleash it's maximum energy.
i don't really understand or appreciate your way of analyzing the data you get from this bench.
so can you explain why 4870x2 wins in crysis with AA and AF at all resolutions and loses in COD5 although COD5 is little DX9 game compared to CRYSIS, isn't it strange that a GPU wins in the most demanding game and loses in some DX9 games.

Take a look at this bench of STALKER CLEAR SKY using the DX10.1 patch for ATI CARDS..
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...20_WHQL_vs_HD_4870_X2_with_812_Hotfix/?page=2

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Put me down as another who is only interested in the best single GPU setup. Microstuttering and less than linear gains for SLI/CF in all games are my reasons.[/citation]

+1 I'd rather have single GPU. I'll consider multi-gpu's, but not when there's beasts out like the GTX 280/285.

hannibal

Distinguished
It's good that there are different cards for multible needs. I by my self am interested in what card gives me best bang for the buck. If it is a single GPU system I am fine, if it's a multi GPU system that's fine as well.
And you are very right that it is easier to make drivers for single GPU systems, but if the prise is right and there is some real prosessing power in multicore system even better.
ATI with their multi GPU system did bring the prices down and they still are relative competative for their prize even now. It all depends on what games you like to play. Like i said before, competition is good and these new Nvidias are really good indeed. (Until the next innovation arrives ofcource ;-)

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I dunno if I skipped it or not, but they should've mentioned that the 285 GTX is also a monster overclocker compared to the 280 GTX which can barely overclock all together...my 280 GTX (which will be sold soon:)) can't make it from 615-650 with out breaking into artifacts...while the 285 GTX has been known to go 700 mhz + and 3 GHZ of memory!!!!

totenkopf

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Hmmm, too bad the gtx285 wasn't made by Apple; this evaluation might have arrived sooner.

I think we all pretty much knew where the 285 fit in. One trip to the egg after the 285 was released would have told you roughly what to expect, as well as how great of a deal the 280 is now.

Frankly, I think that the price drop on the 280 is bigger news than the 285 release. it's still ~nearly~ the best single GPU card but now you can get it for ~$300 with MIR!

I'm curious if TH knows any more particulars regarding the next generation of cards for red and green? I'm curious, and doubtful, if AMD can pull off another successful release as significant to the community as the 4800 series was. I'm also curious where nVidia will have something brand new or if it's more or less an improved GT200 (8800 to 9800 type of thing). From what I can tell it sounds like the latter for nVidia.

As long as the gold standard for gaming keeps getting cheaper I guess I don't really care what they do! Thanks for the benchies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]totenkopf[/nom]Hmmm, too bad the gtx285 wasn't made by Apple; this evaluation might have arrived sooner.I think we all pretty much knew where the 285 fit in. One trip to the egg after the 285 was released would have told you roughly what to expect, as well as how great of a deal the 280 is now. Frankly, I think that the price drop on the 280 is bigger news than the 285 release. it's still ~nearly~ the best single GPU card but now you can get it for ~$300 with MIR!I'm curious if TH knows any more particulars regarding the next generation of cards for red and green? I'm curious, and doubtful, if AMD can pull off another successful release as significant to the community as the 4800 series was. I'm also curious where nVidia will have something brand new or if it's more or less an improved GT200 (8800 to 9800 type of thing). From what I can tell it sounds like the latter for nVidia.As long as the gold standard for gaming keeps getting cheaper I guess I don't really care what they do! Thanks for the benchies.[/citation]

FedEx held the package for a week while giving lame excuses as to why it wasn't delivered. They probably lost it and used the excuse delays to buy time while they located it.

sasquatch451

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
In Canada, the price difference between the 280 and 285 is much greater. One vendor has the BFG GTX280 OC for $320CND and the BFG GTX285 OC $477CND. That's a 50% price increase, not 10%.

totenkopf

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
You know, with 1000+ watt PSU's being so popular now, I wonder how many people out there would actually save money on electricity by getting a power hungry card like the 4870x2. Maybe it's not that likely, but you know there are idiots out there with a 1200w PSU powering a dual core and a gtx260 getting terrible efficiency. It might be a pretty small window to actually get savings with a higher consumption card, but I'm sure that PSU efficiency mitigates the benefits of low power parts more than we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.