Nvidia's GeForce GTX 480: Before And After A Year Of Driver Updates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]PudgyChicken[/nom]Well this makes me feel markedly better about having 2x GTX 480s in SLI...[/citation]

I aim to please!

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm sure i once read an article talking about NV and AMD releasing deliberately bad drivers at launch and then making incremental improvements over the life cycle of the product to give it perceived added value. It obviously doesn't work, but i can see where they are coming from, from a purely business point of view.

Since most video card reviews are done on the day the card is released, it is in the best interest of the card maker to have the best possible drivers available at that time.

On a related note, I think reviewers should re-bench the HD6850 and HD6870 (among others) that were released with drivers that incorporated Image Quality Hacks that improved performance by 6-10% at the expense of image quality. Most of these hacks have subsequently been removed from the latest drivers, but those original performance benches are still the ones being used for most comparisons.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-570-gf110-performance,2806-5.html

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Travish82, Guru3D did the same test using an i7 965 and the FPS in the same testing area was 55. I guess a newer CPU will help the FPS as much as the drivers.

G

It would be nice to see what happens with older video cards, they get some attention too? Is it better to use newer drivers?
More speed is very important for cards like a 9600GT...

Status
Not open for further replies.