Nvidia's GeForce Page Counts Down To Potential GTX 1080 Ti Reveal At GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
It has nothing to do with Ryzen ... Tamalero ... they are anticipating VEGA and why not steal some more market share till then.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
We've expected a Ti for a while now. I talked myself out of getting a Titan X, but would like to swap in a 1080Ti to replace the GTX 1080 in my VR PC. I expect they'll sell pretty well to VR users looking for the best possible image.

Yes I know a GTX 1080 + a 1080Ti will cost as much as the Titan X, but I can use that GTX in a flat-screen gaming machine.

Matt1685

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
@Tamalero Why in the world would Ryzen scare NVIDIA? NVIDIA doesn't sell CPUs. Why does NVIDIA need to be scared to release a GPU? NVIDIA has been holding back on the 1080 Ti for months until Vega was ready to come along. The 980 Ti came out 3 months after the Maxwell Titan X. It'll be 7 months between the Pascal Titan X and the 1080 Ti and that has mostly to do with the delay of Vega.

You AMD fanboys...

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Oh man, when I read "...extraordinaire T.I....", I read it like E.T, extraterrestrial, and immediately thought Steve Balmer was going to fire up the masses!
After realizing my mistake I feel dissapointed!

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

AMD released an 8 Cores / 16 threads CPU running at 3Ghz and Turbos at 3.7Ghz while using just 65watts ... similar CPU from Intel needs 140 watts ...

yes Nvidia is VERY worried about the VEGA if it is power efficient !!!

Danilushka

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
While Ryzen is clearly aimed, not at Nvidia, but at Intel's foot-dragging on price reductions and innovation in CPUs, the message to Nvidia is pretty clear: you're next. Vegas Baby! So, contrary to what some say, Ryzen will influence Nvidia though indirectly. The Titan-X has been out of stock on Nvidia's site for weeks: that makes me think they do plan a release announcement at GDC on 1080ti and a Titian-Xti.

Terry Perry

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
And in 2-3 years it will be at the Bottom like the 780ti a 480 for 200$ beats my 970 i paid 350$. But i found a 970 for 250 now my SLI is just behind a 1080

tomotomov92

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017
@DANILUSHKA dude.. Titan-X ti? Do you know that the 'ti' stands for 'Titan'?

And about the VegaN GPUs (I know this is a bad pun) - they are aimed at a little more performance than 1080s. This means that VegaN are aimed to dethrone the last generation of NVidia GPUs in the second part of 2017 (more than a year after NVidia released the Pascal architecture).
I'm sure NVidia are shitting their pants when they've sold so much GPUs already.

The real battle might be with the successor of VegaN (if it is soon enough) and NVidia's next architecture - Volta.

tomotomov92

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017
Ah, it's something of this sort. I've saw yesterday someone refer to the Titan cars as Titanium cards. Either way the 'Titan-X ti' doesn't make too much sense.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

I know people who change their car every 2-3 years ... once you start earning $350 will be nothing dont worry.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

no one knows the performance of the Vega GPU yet nor the power consumption nor their price ... If AMD manages to sell it half price as they did with intel CPU at the same performance they will win the market.

Besides , you can find AMD freesync in entry levels Monitors and even in TVs .. while Nvidia Gsync can only be found in very expensive Monitors. AMD is a winner here too.

intime AMD will win the Market ... when APU becomes faster and faster and take place of dedicated cards ... give it 20 years .

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
It's always a shame these red vs green arguments have to happen.

I already saw photo's on guru3d showing Ryzen running both kinds of GPU's including SLI! BTW, not really into the led thing but I think some of these look pretty cool.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-system-and-custom-build-photos-with-geforce-sli.html

Bottom line, we don't all have the same income, needs, play the same games, use our PC's for the same thing, or desire to totally copy each other.

Instead of berating one side or another why not just enjoy what someone can accomplish with what they get.

I'm personally rooting for both companies. When their best is out and competing, we the consumers have the best chance for quality and affordable solutions.

This has been nVidia's strategy for quite some time .... the original 780 was shelved once they discovered that the proposed 770 was faster. They put the 780 label on what would have been the 770 let the top card sit on the shelf until AMD came out with their next gen cards, spent millions on hyping up the media and then quietly dropped the 780 Ti stealing all the thunder. Same routine next generation.

Matt1685

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

AMD hasn't released anything yet. And no one has released independent benchmarks of these things in the real world. But none of that is the point. Why does NVIDIA care at all about it? In fact, Ryzen being successful in the data center could only be a good thing for NVIDIA. In the PC space, NVIDIA doesn't care.

No, I don't think NVIDIA has much reason to worry about Vega. Again, you don't know the performance and power efficiency of Vega. I suggest you go back and look at the claims AMD made for Polaris before it was released. Go look at the power efficiency claimed for it.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

surprise: AMD CPU are sold out "Preorder" already ... and the Engineering samples proved they are successful from insiders ...

Nvidia Does care and their timing of the TI proves it , tghey want to sell their product before its too late for them.

Matt1685

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

Who cares if they are sold out in pre-order? The chip has not been released yet. And yeah, insiders. When Ruzen actually comes out and the chip can be independently tested then we can talk about how good it is. Maybe it'll be good or maybe it won't be. Anyway, I don't know why you keep talking about Ryzen. It's irrelevant to our conversation. The only reason I'm replying to you about it is because each time you mention it you say something incorrect or obtuse.

Of course NVIDIA cares about the timing of the release of the 1080 Ti. I said that myself in my first message that you replied to. I said, "NVIDIA has been holding back on the 1080 Ti for months until Vega was ready to come along." You're trying to propose a false dichotomy. Taking a competitor's products into account is not that same as being worried about them.

Anyway, I'm not replying any more, no matter how many fallacies or obtuse statements you put in your next reply, if you send one.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

yawn , dont read who cares ?

Danilushka

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Nice attempt to recover having shown your error, but marketing names never make sense Titan? ti? GeForce? But sure, quibble about the 'ti'
I don't know what they'll call it, but it will be something above the 1080ti so the title was figurative which I guess went over your head. They aren't going to let the 1080ti overcome the Titan-X position in their line so, unless they are going to drop that high-end segment, they want a successor to the titan-x that stays enough ahead of the 1080ti to preserve that position in the product line. The Titan-X has been out of stock for some time which hints something is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.