News Nvidia's GeForce RTX 2050, MX570, MX550 GPUs Arrive In Spring 2022

Nvidia flooding the market with more products, to confuse the customer with.
Well, I will say its better than just rebranding them and making the audience think they're Ampere versions like they've done in the past (9800GT cough cough). Same for AMD, mind you.

More than doing this, I personally hate shameless rebranding, so this is not too bad IMO. Plus, there is a need for more GPUs in all market segments, so they're just filling gaps I'd say.

This does confuse things for some, but it's clear they're not Ampere cards, so that's good.

Regards.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Well, I will say its better than just rebranding them and making the audience think they're Ampere versions like they've done in the past (9800GT cough cough). Same for AMD, mind you.

More than doing this, I personally hate shameless rebranding, so this is not too bad IMO. Plus, there is a need for more GPUs in all market segments, so they're just filling gaps I'd say.

This does confuse things for some, but it's clear they're not Ampere cards, so that's good.

Regards.
I would argue this is a little different than nvidia and especially AMD/ATI using less than honest naming convention, but agree with your point. Although this time around they could have named it the 256 v2 and it would fly off the shelves...

Dec 17, 2021
"The GeForce RTX 2050 will...powering a new wave of laptops for gamers and creators."

Those poor poor POOR gamers. I know the prices are insane, but this card is not it.

You would be surprised what people get confused over.
Sure, but I would wager a lot of them would go find a sales rep if they don't know what to look for. And then said rep will just steer them to a particular model.

If they're configuring a laptop on say Dell or whatever, the situation is usually:
  • There's a configuration that's iGPU only or not
  • The choice of dGPUs tends to be limited to a specific configuration of a model. All the person has to choose is which laptop fits their budget
  • And if they run into a situation where multiple configurations are at the sameish price point, they'll probably choose what has the bigger numbers or what's familiar to them anyway. Or just wing it and be on their merry way because whatever they're getting is going to be an upgrade anyway.
I don't think the average person cares about the hardware as long as it's feels better than what they came from and they don't perceive the manufacturer as rubbish. And if anyone does actually care, they probably can figure their way around this model number soup anyway.

Reactions: Krotow

InvalidError

Titan
Why, why, why. Literally, no one wants anything other than 30 series on the medium/high end and 16 series on the low/budget end.
Nvidia doesn't want to support retired SKUs forever, got to push the market forward so the old stuff can be phased out from the market and drivers. Also, the low-end already had the RTX3050(Ti) on the mobile side, so the RTX2050 and below are most likely because Nvidia cannot make enough GA107s.

Nvidia doesn't want to support retired SKUs forever, got to push the market forward so the old stuff can be phased out from the market and drivers. Also, the low-end already had the RTX3050(Ti) on the mobile side, so the RTX2050 and below are most likely because Nvidia cannot make enough GA107s.
The 2050 and 2060 release and re-release are obvious cash grabs from unsuspecting and ill informed "gamers" that wont realize they got a dead end product that performs bad before their 30 day return period is up. Its not as if they wont be able to use it for the latest games but expectations should be in line with 1650s - 1660 levels of performance on the 2050.

Reactions: jacob249358
The 2050 and 2060 release and re-release are obvious cash grabs from unsuspecting and ill informed "gamers" that wont realize they got a dead end product that performs bad before their 30 day return period is up. Its not as if they wont be able to use it for the latest games but expectations should be in line with 1650s - 1660 levels of performance on the 2050.
Or this is to replace the GeForce 16 lineup with something that can provide something resembling "entry level" RTX features. For example, DLSS isn't supported on GeForce 16, but it would be a nice boon on mid to lower midrange GPUs.

except those weren't ill-timed and were actually cheap
Ill-timed? Not really. The current MX lineup is still based on Pascal, save for one GPU (the MX450) and I think it's time the lower midrange to lower end GPUs get RTX features. Yes even though ray tracing would be an exercise in patience on a GPU of lower power, the tensor cores should still help in other areas. But either way, continuing to fragment the feature set in the end is more harmful.

They'll also be more reasonably priced given that they'll land in laptops and not desktop graphics cards where AIBs charge whatever they want. Plus the whole MX lineup is aimed towards the lower end of the laptop dGPU market.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Ill-timed? Not really. The current MX lineup is still based on Pascal, save for one GPU (the MX450) and I think it's time the lower midrange to lower end GPUs get RTX features. Yes even though ray tracing would be an exercise in patience on a GPU of lower power, the tensor cores should still help in other areas. But either way, continuing to fragment the feature set in the end is more harmful.

They'll also be more reasonably priced given that they'll land in laptops and not desktop graphics cards where AIBs charge whatever they want. Plus the whole MX lineup is aimed towards the lower end of the laptop dGPU market.

MX lineup are basically just low end laptop GPUs. Good enough.

Yeah... I'm talking about laptop GPUs. And I was more talking about the 2050
The 16 series is the midrange line, not low end. The low end is the MX series. Besides that, the MX 550 is looking to replace the 1650 considering it's made from the same GPU core. The MX 570 is likely going to replace the 1660, since the RTX 2050 is a 3050 with lower boost clocks.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
The 16 series is the midrange line, not low end. The low end is the MX series. Besides that, the MX 550 is looking to replace the 1650 considering it's made from the same GPU core. The MX 570 is likely going to replace the 1660, since the RTX 2050 is a 3050 with lower boost clocks.
You're not making sense. 1. 1650 is considered low-end or budget level.
2. 1660 ti beats the 3050 ti in most games so nothing is getting replaced. 3. You cant be specific about low end/midrange/high end/whatever you call it, while just referring to a whole series of gpus.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
You're not making sense. 1. 1650 is considered low-end or budget level.
2. 1660 ti beats the 3050 ti in most games so nothing is getting replaced. 3. You cant be specific about low end/midrange/high end/whatever you call it, while just referring to a whole series of gpus.

For notebook market, 1650 is not low-end/budget.

Reactions: Krotow

TRENDING THREADS