News Nvidia's GeForce RTX 2060 Refresh Might Be On The Horizon

hannibal

Distinguished
If this would be true... Nvidia ampera would not be even close to be released... but if ampera comes near christmast, then this could be quite sensible to beat amd 5600 in the meanwhile.

Mar 11, 2020
Well think I shot myself in the foot buying the 2060 around launch last year.After upgrading to 1440p having issues with vram. So far I am hearing wait for next gen but seriously I do not like this card and want to upgrade.What is the best upgrade from the 2060 that will provide at least 50% more performance at 1440p?

Last edited:

KevinS1010

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
Well think I shot myself in the foot buying the 2060 around launch last year.After upgrading to 1440p having issues with vram. So far I am hearing wait for next gen but seriously I do not like this card and want to upgrade.What is the best upgrade from the 2060 that will provide at least 50% more performance at 1440p?
I find that hard to believe you have issues with VRAM. I have a 2060 too, playing at 1440p and I have not encountered any performance issues that could be tied to VRAM (played many AAA games including a couple with Raytracing)

Also remember that this is a midrange card, if you expect it to run all modern titles at WQHD and Ultra settings at way over 60 FPS, you of course will be disappointed. That's for cards like the 2070 Super.

How is the rest of your system? Are you running dual channel RAM, modern CPU, running games on SSD? That could be the culprit for your performance issues if not.

jpe1701

Honorable
I almost went with the 2060 when I upgraded to 1440p but I went with the 5700xt at the same price point and I was lucky enough that it was recent so I didn't have the driver issues that have been plaugeing them. Not to sound like a broken record but I would wait honestly. You probably wanted at least a little ray tracing if you went with the 2060 and if the rumors are even close to being right then the performance is supposed to be much better.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ahhh ... the long awaited and rumoured RTX2060 "Kind-of-Super". I hope we get the "Kind-of-Super" models with the rest of the lineup as well. Nvidia doesn't have near enough SKUs to be able to compete with AMD, so this is definitely a welcome move.
ROFL!!

I would've gone for "Super-ish(?)" yes, with the parenthetical question mark as part of the name, but hey, that's me.

Oh, wait, unless they have "Kind-of-Super" and "Super-ish(?)" as two separate levels. You know, because they need even more finely-graded performance niches than exist currently.

And extra synergy!

Reactions: joeblowsmynose

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
ROFL!!

I would've gone for "Super-ish(?)" yes, with the parenthetical question mark as part of the name, but hey, that's me.

Oh, wait, unless they have "Kind-of-Super" and "Super-ish(?)" as two separate levels. You know, because they need even more finely-graded performance niches than exist currently.

And extra synergy!

Haha! I think I started with Super-ish, but changed my mind halfway through the post. ;)

It should looke like this:

2060 Original Edition
2060 Kind-of-Super
2060 Super-ish(?)
2060 Super
2060 Super Duper

Or maybe name them by the response to AMD that triggered their existence?

2060 original edition
2060 5500xt response edition (KO)
2060 5600xt response edition (Kind-of-Super)
2060 (placeholder for some yet unnamed response edition) (Super-ish(?))
2060 Navi launch response edition (Super)

Any way you look at it, we'll need more skus ... else there's no way to fight off AMDs grand total of 4 cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V
Mar 11, 2020
@jpe1701 Nah I was looking to upgrade my 1050ti.2060 was my best option at that time.I do own one RT game but that I hardly play it.What I'll do is patiently wait for the next gen of cards which I don't know when on earth those will be out.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
@jpe1701 Nah I was looking to upgrade my 1050ti.2060 was my best option at that time.I do own one RT game but that I hardly play it.What I'll do is patiently wait for the next gen of cards which I don't know when on earth those will be out.
Last I heard Ampere won't be out until late 2020 (holiday season?), and they had to go with 10nm instead of the 7nm they wanted to use - not sure if that will impact the design plans any ...

I wouldn't use RT as a reason to upgrade to a 2060, as the RT performance on that won't be great anyway. Stick with the 1050ti and save up a bit. Next gen should have a more economical RT performance (don't expect the overall price to be more economical though), and by then hopefully there'll be a greater range of games that use it.