News Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Allegedly Heads To U.S. Retailers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. What makes gold so valuable? (Hint: people seem to want it!) In this case the high prices are not due to a lack of competition or artificial price manipulation, it is pure Supply and Demand. People wanting the cards for a different reason than gaming does not negate or invalidate the S & D law of economics. Some people will think a price point is a waste of money (downward pressure on pricing) and some people with think it is worth it (upward pressure on pricing). Once the downward and upward pressures find a balance point we have the value of the product. It should also be noted that that balance point is always changing, as can be attested to by most beanie baby collections.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
This is just a workaround to obtaining a video card at a normal(ish) price but you still overspend by a big margin, first of all this VC is not at MSRP in this rig and second you spend on a lot more than just the hardware. Also I hate this Apple approach, you don't upgrade your PC anymore, you just buy a completely new one.
I was actually in the situation where I was coming from an 8 yr old gaming rig i7-3770K and a GTX 780. So it was either doing a top to bottom DIY build or buying a prebuilt. In the end it was pretty much the way to go with a prebuilt because of the current shortage.

Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. What makes gold so valuable? (Hint: people seem to want it!) In this case the high prices are not due to a lack of competition or artificial price manipulation, it is pure Supply and Demand. People wanting the cards for a different reason than gaming does not negate or invalidate the S & D law of economics. Some people will think a price point is a waste of money (downward pressure on pricing) and some people with think it is worth it (upward pressure on pricing). Once the downward and upward pressures find a balance point we have the value of the product. It should also be noted that that balance point is always changing, as can be attested to by most beanie baby collections.
The context of this supply and demand is important though. This is supply and demand in unfettered capitalism within an industry that is a duopoly. There are so many extenuating circumstances involved that the end result of everything being out of stock is not unexpected. Even if some of these circumstances (covid-19, crypto currencies) didn't exist I believe that the demand for the new GPUs in particular would be unchanged given how good the product is.

RTX 3080 MSRP $699
RTX 3080 Ti MSRP $999?!
The 3080Ti wil NOT be even close to 30% faster than the 3080 and is a horrible price v. performance compared to the 3080.

If anyone didn't think that GPU chip MFGs were catering to the miners, I give you exhibit A! They will flood the market with 'slightly different' chip versions and price all of them according to the 'new' pricing model of +100%.

Okay, AMD, your turn! Why don't you just include a free coffee mug with each RX 6800XT, change the SKU, and bump up the price by $299!

And I call BS on the whole 'limiting mining operation' that NVIDIA is touting. They just have to show that they are trying, to appease the masses. This mining limitation won't last more than a month before a workaround is figured out.

Correction - Corporate greed has put the 3080 Ti at an eye-watering $1199. :rolleyes:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Correction - Corporate greed has put the 3080 Ti at an eye-watering $1199. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about? If Nvidia set the MSRP at $20, you think you're going to actually be able to buy one for $20? These cards are going to go for $1500+ on the 2nd hand market even with a mining limiter. What Nvidia sets the MSRP at is pretty irrelevant to almost everyone. Why do you want scalpers to get $200 more undeserved money?

I'm talking about the real fear that these price 'adjustments' becomes permanent - regardless of supply.

The release of the 3080 Ti, whose performance is around 12% higher than the 3080 if the leaked benchmarks are correct, has a whopping 42% higher MSRP! MSRP for the reference cards is the very beginning price that all markups and AIB mfgs. work on. I'm not even factoring in scalpers. NVIDIA is now drastically increasing the reference card MSRP for no other reason than greed.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The release of the 3080 Ti, whose performance is around 12% higher than the 3080 if the leaked benchmarks are correct, has a whopping 42% higher MSRP! MSRP for the reference cards is the very beginning price that all markups and AIB mfgs. work on. I'm not even factoring in scalpers. NVIDIA is now drastically increasing the reference card MSRP for no other reason than greed.
Who cares? 1) The market is completely different than it was 9 months ago. You ignored the question. Do you think scalpers are more deserving of that $200 or Nvidia? 2) Price never scales linearly with performance. Not sure where you have been since for ever, since that's always how it has been.

Who cares? 1) The market is completely different than it was 9 months ago. You ignored the question. Do you think scalpers are more deserving of that $200 or Nvidia? 2) Price never scales linearly with performance. Not sure where you have been since for ever, since that's always how it has been.
I care. Yes, the market is different and is spiraling more and more towards greed.

I didn't ignore the question - you just aren't understanding my answer. It isn't an either-or scenario. Scalpers will ALWAYS increase their prices as a multiplier of NVIDIA's MSRP.

A simple example to show the math - If NVIDIA raised their prices by $200 the scalpers would tack on $400. If NVIDIA raised their prices by $600 the scalpers would tack on $1200. Thos is oversimplified and the specific numbers are arbitrary but you should understand what I am trying to impart. Any amount of unjust markup starts with NVIDIA.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I care. Yes, the market is different and is spiraling more and more towards greed.

I didn't ignore the question - you just aren't understanding my answer. It isn't an either-or scenario. Scalpers will ALWAYS increase their prices as a multiplier of NVIDIA's MSRP.

A simple example to show the math - If NVIDIA raised their prices by $200 the scalpers would tack on $400. If NVIDIA raised their prices by $600 the scalpers would tack on $1200. Thos is oversimplified and the specific numbers are arbitrary but you should understand what I am trying to impart. Any amount of unjust markup starts with NVIDIA.
Market is determined by the buyers, not the sellers. Doesn't matter what scalpers ask for if no buyer is willing to pay that much. Current prices are being driven by mining profitability rates, not some arbitrary fixed percentage above MSRP picked by scalpers.

Market is determined by the buyers, not the sellers. Doesn't matter what scalpers ask for if no buyer is willing to pay that much. Current prices are being driven by mining profitability rates, not some arbitrary fixed percentage above MSRP picked by scalpers.
Except that the market is not determined solely by buyers. Buyers make the correction to price after the fact. Sellers set the bar. Production insufficiencies inflate the price, and production is set by Samsung. Samsung and Nvidia have many incentives to limit or delimit production based on market circumstances. Nvidia could sell 100 products at 10,000$'s each or 1,000 of the same product at 1,000$'s each. Just because its easier to find 100 idiots to scam does not mean the fair market value of a product suddenly becomes 10,000$'s each. Especially when they are leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table not selling to people at a lower price.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Except that the market is not determined solely by buyers. Buyers make the correction to price after the fact. Sellers set the bar. Production insufficiencies inflate the price, and production is set by Samsung. Samsung and Nvidia have many incentives to limit or delimit production based on market circumstances. Nvidia could sell 100 products at 10,000$'s each or 1,000 of the same product at 1,000$'s each. Just because its easier to find 100 idiots to scam does not mean the fair market value of a product suddenly becomes 10,000$'s each. Especially when they are leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table not selling to people at a lower price.
We're specifically talking about the current 2nd hand GPU market prices. Nvidia is currently selling everything they can produce. They are not leaving anything on the table by not lowering prices right now. They are in fact missing out on millions right now in potential income by not pricing higher. How much exactly can be calculated by totaling up how much scalpers and retailers are selling the cards for.